ZMF Auteur Thread
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #466 of 8,332
I read that the Auteur is relatively easy to drive - so can a modest-power tube amp do it well? If so, what's a good suggestion for something that won't break the bank? I planned on using a lake people RS02, which I can eq warmer, but should I look at something tube?
I think Schiit Mjolnir 2 is worth considering, its slightly U-shaped signature,powerful bass and dynamics will do the headphone justice. It is a plug and play amp, no tube rolling nervosa and it is flexible enough to be used with the solid state 'tubes' from Schiit if you are curious. Don't forget a decent source as well!
IMO Cavalli Liquid Carbon would be fine as well.
Try the Feliks Elise (non 2018 version), I think it may be a good match.
I briefly had the Cayin IHA-1. Very clean sounding amp with a slight treble tilt. A good pair if you find the Auteurs a tad dark.

The Auteur does not need alot of power to drive.
As always, try to demo gear before committing.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #467 of 8,332
I read that the Auteur is relatively easy to drive - so can a modest-power tube amp do it well? If so, what's a good suggestion for something that won't break the bank? I planned on using a lake people RS02, which I can eq warmer, but should I look at something tube?
The Auteur is a high impedance-high efficiency headphone, so it should be relatively easy to drive as long as your amp supports the impedance. If you want to smooth out the treble more or make it warmer, a tube should definitely be considered. I’d recommend Feliks Audio amps, but the price increase has made them less affordable.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #468 of 8,332
The Auteur is a high impedance-high efficiency headphone, so it should be relatively easy to drive as long as your amp supports the impedance. If you want to smooth out the treble more or make it warmer, a tube should definitely be considered. I’d recommend Feliks Audio amps, but the price increase has made them less affordable.
Any review of the auteur driven by the bottlehead crack?

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #469 of 8,332
Any review of the auteur driven by the bottlehead crack?
I don’t think so, but the Bottlehead Crack should be fine paired with the Auteur as long as warmer tubes are paired with it. As I’ve seen someone state that the Auteur doesn’t pair well with Woo-Audio or gooey tube amps, but I wouldn’t know as I have to wait until January for my Auteur.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #470 of 8,332

Yeah the Auteurs aren't super power hungry or anything and can be driven well from lots of stuff. I ran it through with my NFB-11, R2R 11, Magni 3, and Valhalla 2. The Valhalla 2 was definitely my favorite but that's also because I just really prefer tubes for the high impedance dynamics. Zach actually posted in the Massdrop EC ZDT Jr discussion that he really likes that amp with all his ZMF stuff like Auteur and Atticus, as well as HD800. I ended up joining that drop as I think that amp should be a nice complement to Valhalla 2 when I want a little more "tubeyness" and warmth.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #471 of 8,332
I don’t think so, but the Bottlehead Crack should be fine paired with the Auteur as long as warmer tubes are paired with it. As I’ve seen someone state that the Auteur doesn’t pair well with Woo-Audio or gooey tube amps, but I wouldn’t know as I have to wait until January for my Auteur.

It’s not as if all Woo amps sound or function the same way. I think the person who made that comment just chose Woo as their whipping boy example.

Also, the “gooey tube amp” comment is very subjective. Sounds great on the CSP3 and the Stratus... both can certainly run a little gooey, depending on the tube. Unless we mean different things by gooey.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #472 of 8,332
It’s not as if all Woo amps sound or function the same way. I think the person who made that comment just chose Woo as their whipping boy example.

Also, the “gooey tube amp” comment is very subjective. Sounds great on the CSP3 and the Stratus... both can certainly run a little gooey, depending on the tube. Unless we mean different things by gooey.
I agree, i wouldn't consider my WA5LE S2 gooey by any means, but am also hoping it will pair well with the Auteur.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #474 of 8,332
Of course, not all Woo amps sound gooey. Most of their amps have thick mids that mask quite a bit of detail, especially WA3 and WA22. The only Woo amps with tastefully done tube coloration is the WA5LE and WA6SE imo, and I believe they will pair well with the Auteur.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #477 of 8,332

Gooey to me generally means an overly thick sound, possibly in the mids, sometimes accompanied by slow or overly bloomy bass. Small nuances in the music are glossed over.

The WA6SE is a good amp. I'd take it over much of their higher priced amps. Still a little over-priced new, but good sounding.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #478 of 8,332
Gooey to me generally means an overly thick sound, possibly in the mids, sometimes accompanied by slow or overly bloomy bass. Small nuances in the music are glossed over.

The WA6SE is a good amp. I'd take it over much of their higher priced amps. Still a little over-priced new, but good sounding.
I just had an extended listen to the Woo WA3 and the Atticus. I know, not the Auteur, but given how the Atticus is considered warmer than the Auteur, and I found the warmth of the WA3 complementary rather than overly warm, I reckon it will match the Auteur beautifully, adding a lush warmth to what most reviewers are saying is a fairly neutral sound (unless of course fairly neutral is the sound you're going for!). Personally I like my warm sound like a fine port wine on a cold winter's evening :)

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #479 of 8,332
I just had an extended listen to the Woo WA3 and the Atticus. I know, not the Auteur, but given how the Atticus is considered warmer than the Auteur, and I found the warmth of the WA3 complementary rather than overly warm, I reckon it will match the Auteur beautifully, adding a lush warmth to what most reviewers are saying is a fairly neutral sound (unless of course fairly neutral is the sound you're going for!). Personally I like my warm sound like a fine port wine on a cold winter's evening :)

Yea, the Auteur I think will actually have an easier time finding a good pairing than the Atticus. The Auteur has a much more linear FR which will allow it to tilt whichever way you want just a little easier with the right gear, whereas the Atticus can definitely sound off with certain gear.

Having said that, with the Auteur if you put crap in, your going to get crap out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back