ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 30, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #107 of 8,334
Does anyone have any measurements for the Auteur that they can post?
Just look 1 page back, @cskippy posted his measurements

I have been listening to the Auteur a lot for the last couple weeks and the measurements are pretty much in line with what I hear. I find them to be perhaps the most neutral headphone I have heard. The tonal balance is probably one of the best characteristics of this headphone and I find that it manages to be neutral and detailed enough to feel analytical, yet still musical and lively such that it isn't clinical or boring.

Oct 30, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #108 of 8,334
Just look 1 page back, @cskippy posted his measurements

I have been listening to the Auteur a lot for the last couple weeks and the measurements are pretty much in line with what I hear. I find them to be perhaps the most neutral headphone I have heard. The tonal balance is probably one of the best characteristics of this headphone and I find that it manages to be neutral and detailed enough to feel analytical, yet still musical and lively such that it isn't clinical or boring.
Yea, I actually liked his measurement post. I just wanted to know if he got measurements with the perforated Eikon pads or if anyone had measurements that could be compared to his.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #111 of 8,334
Alright, thanks! Really wondering how much the pads have an effect on the sound of the headphone outside of what our ears can hear.

Zach reports that the Eikon perforated pads adds about 2-3 dB from 800 Hz down.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #114 of 8,334
Does anyone know any DACs that might pair well with the Auteur?

I'm a big fan of multi-bit, also an Audio GD fanboy, so grade my comments accordingly. I've found multi-bit digital to be transformative--better in just about every way compared to delta-sigma. I own the Audio GD NOS 19 (my favorite of all DACs ever heard); also the DAC-19, which is very close behind the NOS 19 is excellent sound IMO.

There are other multi-bits that cost less or more than these. But IMO, multi-bit is the way to go w/the Auteur, Eikon, or any really high-quality headphone design that will reveal every last bit, in all its glory.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #116 of 8,334
I'm a big fan of multi-bit, also an Audio GD fanboy, so grade my comments accordingly. I've found multi-bit digital to be transformative--better in just about every way compared to delta-sigma. I own the Audio GD NOS 19 (my favorite of all DACs ever heard); also the DAC-19, which is very close behind the NOS 19 is excellent sound IMO.

There are other multi-bits that cost less or more than these. But IMO, multi-bit is the way to go w/the Auteur, Eikon, or any really high-quality headphone design that will reveal every last bit, in all its glory.
How much do Audio GD DACs cost approximately? Can’t check as they require e-mail quotes for pricing.

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #117 of 8,334
How much do Audio GD DACs cost approximately? Can’t check as they require e-mail quotes for pricing.

I never bought direct from Audio GD. Both times I bought from Magna HiFi in the Netherlands. Terrific experience...Jos is very helpful.

Anyway, here are several links:

DAC-19: approx $915 US; shipping adds another $35-$45)
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/audio-gd-dac-19
  • FYI, I spec'd that my DAC-19 not be the lastest/greatest software rev, but the one previous to that (because I'd heard the latest rev made the unit sound a little bright, which it certainly does not now)
  • I also spec'd that the ACCS output be changed to a 2nd RCA output pair (which makes this unit incredibly convenient in my system)

NOS 19: approx $915 US; shipping adds another $35-$45)
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/audio-gd-nos-19
  • I spec'd that the ACCS output be changed to a 2nd RCA output pair (which makes this unit incredibly convenient in my system)

Audio GD has also come out w/several multi-bit all-in-ones, which I would have gotten in a heartbeat if I wasn't already so well stocked on amps:

They also have several other multi-bit DACs ("Singularity"), designs that came out earlier this year. Said to sound somewhat different from/more "accurate" than, the DAC-19 & NOS 19.

If you're located in the US, I strongly recommend Magna HiFi...

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #118 of 8,334
I never bought direct from Audio GD. Both times I bought from Magna HiFi in the Netherlands. Terrific experience...Jos is very helpful.

Anyway, here are several links:

DAC-19: approx $915 US; shipping adds another $35-$45)
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/audio-gd-dac-19
  • FYI, I spec'd that my DAC-19 not be the lastest/greatest software rev, but the one previous to that (because I'd heard the latest rev made the unit sound a little bright, which it certainly does not now)
  • I also spec'd that the ACCS output be changed to a 2nd RCA output pair (which makes this unit incredibly convenient in my system)

NOS 19: approx $915 US; shipping adds another $35-$45)
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/webshop/product/audio-gd-nos-19
  • I spec'd that the ACCS output be changed to a 2nd RCA output pair (which makes this unit incredibly convenient in my system)

Audio GD has also come out w/several multi-bit all-in-ones, which I would have gotten in a heartbeat if I wasn't already so well stocked on amps:

They also have several other multi-bit DACs ("Singularity"), designs that came out earlier this year. Said to sound somewhat different from/more "accurate" than, the DAC-19 & NOS 19.

If you're located in the US, I strongly recommend Magna HiFi...
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ll check them out. Do you know any other multibit DAC manufacturers?

Nov 2, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #120 of 8,334
AGD also makes the R2R 1 and R2R 2 which are $840 and $740 respectively the R2R 11 which is $385. These are prices to the US approximately. Schiit has a few multibit options as well as Soekris and Metrum. I'm fact there are a lot of companies making multibit these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back