ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 9, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #7,081 of 8,456
Well, first the cans! Then maybe later on we'll worry about playing with more amps. Though I have been keeping a close eye on that Lyr+ impressions thread.
Yes, no rush and worries as getting a tube amp. with tube rolling opportunities isn't addictive at all...NOT!!!

Sep 9, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #7,082 of 8,456
Yes, no rush and worries as getting a tube amp. with tube rolling opportunities isn't addictive at all...NOT!!!

lol I've already done some opamp swapping and that's bad enough.

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #7,083 of 8,456
Did someone say Cocobolo? I present to you my Cocobolo Auteur OGs :beyersmile:

This thread (and the Classic upgrade in general) got me back to gear gassing so I finally finished my Bottlehead SEX 3.0 base and am now shopping DAC's too
Whatcha gonna get for a DAC?

Sep 10, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #7,084 of 8,456
I love the stainless grill on dark wood look, which is what I'm hoping to get on an Aeolus eventually.
I agree. Love the silver on my Bocote. Not as rustic and muted but oh so beautiful.

Sep 10, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #7,085 of 8,456
Several plausible reasons:
- ZMF has a fairly unique 'house sound', and some folks try them, but don't like it
- ZMFs are heavy, and some folks find they can't deal with that
- Some folks love their ZMFs but can only afford 1 (or 2 or ...) so they sell one to buy another
- Some folks love their ZMFs but are seduced by some LTD, and so sell one to buy another
- Some folks need the money
Let me add a couple more:
- The resale value is pretty high
- They're aren't available for audition in a lot of places so ppl are forced to buy blindly
- Folks might not have the fitting amplification, they respond better to tube amps, which not everyone has lying around (imo)
- Specific driver type that a lot of people have no experience with

Sep 10, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #7,087 of 8,456
Sep 10, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #7,088 of 8,456
Over the past couple weeks I have given the Atrium and Classic a serious workout. I haven't given my OG Bocote some serious time other than a/bing against the other two. Today is just the OG and I, no reviews, no comparisons, just listening. As much as I like to compare, review and figure out new gear, I have needed to put that all aside for a bit and settle in and listen to my favorite music through my favorite gear.

I am listening to my OG through my Icon HP8 Signature and the sound is nothing short of spectacular. There is a reason I have had this headphone as long as I have. I will NOT be upgrading it to a Classic. I may get a Classic at some point, but it won't be this headphone. I love the way it sounds just the way it is.

The sound is linear, slightly forward, with no etch or sibilant sounds. It is not a bright headphone to my ears. It is lively, dynamic and musical. I have always loved the bass on the Auteur. It isn't humped at all, and is extremely responsive all the way into the sub bass. The midrange has a wonderful sense of realism. Imaging while not to the level of the Classic or Atrium, which have an impeccable sense of depth for near/far sounds, is still tremendous. Just a smaller stage size giving you a more intimate listening experience. Do you want to be at the Great American Music Hall with 750 people or the Greek Theatre in Berkeley with 8500 people? Truthfully, I like going to both. I'd rather listen to Goose at the Greek and Grant Green at the GAMH. As much learning as it takes a band to move their sound into different venue sizes as they grow in popularity, so does it happen with the headphone craft. There is a picture way back in this thread or the Atrium thread (I can't remember) showing the brain internalizing each of these headphones. How much of your brain does it light up. The OG is lighting up my entire head, all synapsis are firing; constantly creating new neuro-connections with my music as I listen to the OG. Those of us lucky enough to own an OG, enjoy! We have a gem.

Sep 10, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #7,089 of 8,456
Over the past couple weeks I have given the Atrium and Classic a serious workout. I haven't given my OG Bocote some serious time other than a/bing against the other two. Today is just the OG and I, no reviews, no comparisons, just listening. As much as I like to compare, review and figure out new gear, I have needed to put that all aside for a bit and settle in and listen to my favorite music through my favorite gear.

I am listening to my OG through my Icon HP8 Signature and the sound is nothing short of spectacular. There is a reason I have had this headphone as long as I have. I will NOT be upgrading it to a Classic. I may get a Classic at some point, but it won't be this headphone. I love the way it sounds just the way it is.

The sound is linear, slightly forward, with no etch or sibilant sounds. It is not a bright headphone to my ears. It is lively, dynamic and musical. I have always loved the bass on the Auteur. It isn't humped at all, and is extremely responsive all the way into the sub bass. The midrange has a wonderful sense of realism. Imaging while not to the level of the Classic or Atrium, which have an impeccable sense of depth for near/far sounds, is still tremendous. Just a smaller stage size giving you a more intimate listening experience. Do you want to be at the Great American Music Hall with 750 people or the Greek Theatre in Berkeley with 8500 people? Truthfully, I like going to both. I'd rather listen to Goose at the Greek and Grant Green at the GAMH. As much learning as it takes a band to move their sound into different venue sizes as they grow in popularity, so does it happen with the headphone craft. There is a picture way back in this thread or the Atrium thread (I can't remember) showing the brain internalizing each of these headphones. How much of your brain does it light up. The OG is lighting up my entire head, all synapsis are firing; constantly creating new neuro-connections with my music as I listen to the OG. Those of us lucky enough to own an OG, enjoy! We have a gem.
Good stuff, thanks.

I get exactly what you’re saying—wish I had two Blackwoods so I could have one each, OG & Classic :)

Not regretting my upgrade though.

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #7,090 of 8,456
Good stuff, thanks.

I get exactly what you’re saying—wish I had two Blackwoods so I could have one each, OG & Classic :)

Not regretting my upgrade though.
Hah I was hoping for the same thing, almost bought a second Auteur Blackwood a few weeks ago to get one upgraded. My OG Auteur Blackwood is such a nice contrast from my Verite Open, I can certainly imagine the Classic upgrade being "better", but I'm also quite happy with the OG the way it is now, so don't see a great reason to upgrade right now. In the end, I'll probably just hold out to see if a Blackwood Atrium will ever be released. Something real special about that dense Blackwood and the biocellulose driver...

Sep 10, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #7,091 of 8,456
Imaging while not to the level of the Classic or Atrium, which have an impeccable sense of depth for near/far sounds, is still tremendous.
Really excellent points, and very well articulated.

Sadly, I must point out that Grant Green no longer appears at live venues.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #7,092 of 8,456
Really excellent points, and very well articulated.

Sadly, I must point out that Grant Green no longer appears at live venues.
Haha. He certainly does not. But, Live at The Lighthouse is a top 5 album for me. Windjammer and Flood in Franklin Park are ridiculously good.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #7,093 of 8,456
Haha. He certainly does not. But, Live at The Lighthouse is a top 5 album for me. Windjammer and Flood in Franklin Park are ridiculously good.
For me it's IDLE MOMENTS.

For a long time I followed the jazz guitar lineage from Charlie Christian to Wes Montgomery to (early) George Benson and beyond. Then my twin (at the time taking jazz guitar lessons from a terrific guitarist in the Wes Montgomery style) turned me onto Grant Green. Well. Things haven't been the same since. Love that knotty, wiry, low-to-no vibrato style of Grant Green.

Side benefit of loving Grant Green's playing: learning about the great Newark-based organist, Larry Young.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #7,094 of 8,456

For a long time I followed the jazz guitar lineage from Charlie Christian to Wes Montgomery to (early) George Benson and beyond. Then my twin (at the time taking jazz guitar lessons from a terrific guitarist in the Wes Montgomery style) turned me onto Grant Green. Well. Things haven't been the same since. Love that knotty, wiry, low-to-no vibrato style of Grant Green.

Side benefit of loving Grant Green's playing: learning about the great Newark-based organist, Larry Young.
Awesome! Grant Green was the most used session player at Blue Note during the mid 60s as he could play all the horn lines and became the standard sit in if someone No showed. Larry Young is amazing.

Live at Lighthouse sounds more to me like a CTI record, but it is so good. Idle Moments is his Driving Miss Daisy (to quote Get Shorty).

My all time favorite jazz albums are Red Clay and Walking in Space.

Sep 10, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #7,095 of 8,456

Another great musician from Newark (Grant Green is on his album Workout): tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back