ZMF Auteur Thread
Sep 7, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #7,051 of 8,441
Since it seems to be Cocobolo OG day...

red1.jpg
red2.jpg

The fact that these b-stocks have different cup finish made clear to me I really prefer the filled pore look over unfilled. I find the pore visually distracting. Neat to see Zach starting to use different colored fabric under the grilles on some of the newer more colorful ZMFs. These were from ZMF November 2019. Color is more accurate on the first pic, as the grill doesn't have an orange-red hue, it's just red.

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:03 AM Post #7,052 of 8,441

red1.jpgred2.jpg
The fact that these b-stocks have different cup finish made clear to me I really prefer the filled pore look over unfilled. I find the pore visually distracting. Neat to see Zach starting to use different colored fabric under the grilles on some of the newer more colorful ZMFs. These were from ZMF November 2019. Color is more accurate on the first pic, as the grill doesn't have an orange-red hue, it's just red.
Another stunning set, we have enough to start an OG parade! I especially love the red grill...

Sep 8, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #7,053 of 8,441
Sep 8, 2022 at 2:54 AM Post #7,054 of 8,441
I go back and forth between the Eikon Suedes and Auteur Hybrids on my OG Auteur. Both are great options. I like the touch of added warmth the Eikon Suedes adds. The Lambskin Eikon pads added too much mid-bass for me. They were my least favorite. Obviously the stock Lambskin Auteur pads were great as well, but I guess I just prefer a little suede in the mix.
When I ordered my Auteur update to Classic I added Auteur hybrid and Eikon suede (already had Auteur lambskin) with the order. Since receiving and trying all I find Eikon suede provides the best balance between comfort and consistently enjoyable sound, free of listening fatigue.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #7,055 of 8,441

red1.jpgred2.jpg
Wow! Gorgeous!

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #7,056 of 8,441
Since robo is posting the pair I let get away I counter with my
F20F64E4-DEFF-4C9C-BEAA-FFBB4D161C09.jpeg
AE7C3AE4-3948-4E81-991F-B13F92414E7C.jpeg
auteur classics in cocobolo…

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #7,057 of 8,441
Since robo is posting the pair I let get away I counter with myF20F64E4-DEFF-4C9C-BEAA-FFBB4D161C09.jpegAE7C3AE4-3948-4E81-991F-B13F92414E7C.jpeg auteur classics in cocobolo…
Wow! I really love the silver grills and rods with that. So many great looking ZMFs on this thread!

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #7,058 of 8,441
Wow! I really love the silver grills and rods with that. So many great looking ZMFs on this thread!
Redundancy 1: “cool Aeolus” (another thread)
Redundancy 2: “great looking ZMFs”.
😀😀😀

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #7,059 of 8,441
Redundancy 1: “cool Aeolus”
Redundancy 2: “great looking ZMFs”.
😀😀😀
Yes indeed! Redundancy aside the beauty and build quality cannot be stated enough on all of these fine headphones. Did I mention beauty and build quality already? What redundancy? 🤣🤣🍻

Sep 8, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #7,060 of 8,441

red1.jpgred2.jpg
Absolutely stunning. Mine are also mismatched which leads to believe they would have been a B-stock too. Cocobolo is so purdy.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #7,062 of 8,441
Might be a bit of a Noob question. Is there a reason so many ZMF’s are for sale in the classifieds?

Everything I have read and seen about them says they are amazing.

Cheers.
< baseless speculation >
Several plausible reasons:
- ZMF has a fairly unique 'house sound', and some folks try them, but don't like it
- ZMFs are heavy, and some folks find they can't deal with that
- Some folks love their ZMFs but can only afford 1 (or 2 or ...) so they sell one to buy another
- Some folks love their ZMFs but are seduced by some LTD, and so sell one to buy another
- Some folks need the money
< /baseless speculation >

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #7,063 of 8,441
Absolutely stunning. Mine are also mismatched which leads to believe they would have been a B-stock too. Cocobolo is so purdy.
Mine are b stock too. I didn’t know why for the longest time and found out when I sent them for the classic upgrade. There is a hairline crack by one of the connectors; it’s so faint and light you can’t really see it.

Sep 8, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #7,064 of 8,441
Might be a bit of a Noob question. Is there a reason so many ZMF’s are for sale in the classifieds?

Everything I have read and seen about them says they are amazing.

Cheers.
They are totally amazing. But I suspect what you see in F.S. ads is at least partly the result of a couple new ZMF product launches--these historically cause some ripple effects in the secondary market (ie, sell X to buy the newest thing, Y):
  • Several months ago the new ZMF Atrium launched. It's a co-TOTL headphone, priced the same (or very similar to) the Verite Open. It's also a paradigm-shifting, patented acoustic damping design that is proving very impressive and successful (I reviewed the Atrium and was greatly impressed).
  • And w/in the last 1-2 months, a new variant of the Auteur launched: the Auteur Classic. People who already own an OG Auteur can pay to have their's modded to Classic level; or it can be purchased as a new headphone. I haven't heard the Classic but there have been any number of rave comments & reviews already. The Classic is noteworthy in part because it applies that patented damping system from the Atrium, to the Auteur.
There are always people selling one ZMF to try another one...but I suspect the pace of that turnover has been temporarily goosed by these 2 launches.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back