ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 12, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #6,511 of 8,377
Why I'll have to go for a Cocobolo Atrium :)
Yeah. The one or two promo photos that Zach has posted look amazing in the rose gold colorway. I love the black grille version as well. Unfortunately I'm currently focused on replacing my Arya Stealth with an HE1000V2 while there's still new stock remaining and just bought a UM MEST today so my wallet will need to wait until November. Hopefully by then we'll see some Blackwood Atrium's.

Jul 12, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #6,512 of 8,377
Just watched the summer preview video. Aside from not knowing how I'm going to resist the cocobolo atriums, my biggest take away was how badly I've been pronouncing "Auteur" all this time. No matter. In my mind, it will always be "Aww-tur". Cause I'm classy like that.

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #6,513 of 8,377
... Hopefully by then we'll see some Blackwood Atrium's.
IIRC Zach said he would not be producing any more Blackwood headphones. Something to the effect that it’s rare and endangered. People are poaching it and he doesn’t wanna support that. Course it might also be that is so damn hard to work with :)

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #6,514 of 8,377
Im amazed to hear from a company this fast, let alone the transparency…. What’s not surprising is that it’s from ZMF!

Got the email about the upgrade and was very intrigued. I’m happy it got me back to Headfi after all these years.

I’ve always loved the sound sig of the Auteur. In my mind they feel like a warm soul.

Attachments

• 91FD9536-093D-4324-BCA7-E93F8836CA04.jpeg
    91FD9536-093D-4324-BCA7-E93F8836CA04.jpeg
    599.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 13, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #6,515 of 8,377
Im amazed to hear from a company this fast, let alone the transparency…. What’s not surprising is that it’s from ZMF!

Got the email about the upgrade and was very intrigued. I’m happy it got me back to Headfi after all these years.

I’ve always loved the sound sig of the Auteur. In my mind they feel like a warm soul.
Welcome back man. It's been awhile. :beerchug:

Jul 13, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #6,517 of 8,377
Currently sporting the Auteur perf lamb pads. If I'm looking to get the most bass out of these without demolishing the quality of the sound too much - solid Eikon lamb? Or stick to perf Eikon lamb?
I've found the Eikon Suede pads to be a happy medium between the Eikon Lambskin and Auteur Lambskin. I also like the Auteur Hybrid, but the Eikon Suede has more bass.

Jul 13, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #6,519 of 8,377
Always use perforated pads with open ZMF headphones. Solid pads are for closed-backs.

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #6,520 of 8,377
Currently sporting the Auteur perf lamb pads. If I'm looking to get the most bass out of these without demolishing the quality of the sound too much - solid Eikon lamb? Or stick to perf Eikon lamb?
I went back and forth between perf lamb Auteur and Eikon pads for a bit early on and settled happily on the Auteur pads, although I do think the Eikon pads were a bit bassier. But I didn't like the effect on the upper end of the frequency spectrum.
I've found the Eikon Suede pads to be a happy medium between the Eikon Lambskin and Auteur Lambskin. I also like the Auteur Hybrid, but the Eikon Suede has more bass.
Agree with this. I ended up getting both the Eikon and Auteur perf suede pads and have been using the Eikon pads exclusively since then. As @ckhirnigs113 said, 'happy medium'.
Always use perforated pads with open ZMF headphones. Solid pads are for closed-backs.
Yep

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #6,521 of 8,377
Hello,
What amps do you use to make your auteur dance, so that you can make such statements?

I have the Euforia as an amp and am very happy and satisfied with the Auteur Lambskin pads.
The Eikons were also good but something was bothering me even though they have a bit more bass I felt they lacked a bit of resolution that only the Auteur Lambskin pads can give.
With a few good tubes I could get a bit more bass and resolution and extension out of the Auteur Lambskin.

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #6,522 of 8,377
Hello,
What amps do you use to make your auteur dance, so that you can make such statements?

I have the Euforia as an amp and am very happy and satisfied with the Auteur Lambskin pads.
The Eikons were also good but something was bothering me even though they have a bit more bass I felt they lacked a bit of resolution that only the Auteur Lambskin pads can give.
With a few good tubes I could get a bit more bass and resolution and extension out of the Auteur Lambskin.
You talking to me?

Assuming you were talking to me, I'd say pretty much the same (relative) results from every amp I've tried. Agree that some amps get more bass out of Auteur. My only tube-ish amp is my Liquid Platinum. And Auteur can sound pretty bassy out of that with my Siemens CCA tubes. Otherwise, pretty similar out of the SS amps I've tried -- maybe a bit more out of Audio-gd Master 11 or DSHA-3F with nickel core transformers. But that's a small difference, and the impact of pad swaps were consistent across amps.

Not sure if that answers you question ... usefully :)

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #6,524 of 8,377
I went back and forth between perf lamb Auteur and Eikon pads for a bit early on and settled happily on the Auteur pads, although I do think the Eikon pads were a bit bassier. But I didn't like the effect on the upper end of the frequency spectrum.

Agree with this. I ended up getting both the Eikon and Auteur perf suede pads and have been using the Eikon pads exclusively since then. As @ckhirnigs113 said, 'happy medium'.

Yep
Was that a typo? Did you mean suede pads since then?

Jul 13, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #6,525 of 8,377
It was more of a general question.
When I read about pads, the opinions were somehow a bit different and a lot was tried and then some went back to the Auteur Lambskin pads.
I thought it might have more to do with the amp than the pads.

I don't particularly like the Auteur on the SS amplifier, much rather on tube amps if I'm honest.
But it's probably a matter of taste. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back