ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 11, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #6,481 of 8,316
@zach915m Just watched the preview video and everything looks amazing! When will you be releasing the pricing info for the Auteur Classic upgrade for all of us OG Auteur owners?

Jul 11, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #6,482 of 8,316
@zach915m Just watched the preview video and everything looks amazing! When will you be releasing the pricing info for the Auteur Classic upgrade for all of us OG Auteur owners?
I think the 15 July with tech.information about it before and after the upgrade.
Since some questions have arisen that are still burning on the tongue of the community, I guess this will be explained in a video.
Which would make things easier.

Jul 11, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #6,483 of 8,316
I'm not sure if I just love ZMF headphones so much that I find myself anticipating the new gear, or if Zach takes joy in making us wait :). How many months until November again?

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #6,485 of 8,316
I think the 15 July with tech.information about it before and after the upgrade.
Since some questions have arisen that are still burning on the tongue of the community, I guess this will be explained in a video.
Which would make things easier.

@zach915m What will be the price of Auteur Classic?

Making the video tomorrow, but here's some quick pricing info:

auteur classic stock wood with Black/Black Chassis/Grille: $1499

auteur classic upgrade first owner: $400

auteur classic upgrade second hand market: $600

Warranty renewed on all upgrades, more details coming in the video tomorrow/thurs AM.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jul 12, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #6,486 of 8,316
auteur classic upgrade first owner: $400

😮

Okay, just want y'all to know... @zach915m and I had a conversation about this a while back.

Given the costs involved, not only in parts, but labor as well, this is him being very generous with us. I was definitely expecting it to be higher based on our discussions, so I'm pleasantly surprised that it's only $400. 🙂

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #6,488 of 8,316
Wish my Manchurian Ash was a "first owner"! Sadly, I don't think I can swing $600 for the upgrade.

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #6,489 of 8,316
Wish my Manchurian Ash was a "first owner"! Sadly, I don't think I can swing $600 for the upgrade.

Yeah, I’m feeling pretty good about selling my Teak Auteur when I did. $600 would have been too rich for the upgrade. Better off buying a Classic unless you were a first owner with a LTD wood you loved.

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #6,490 of 8,316
Yeah, I’m feeling pretty good about selling my Teak Auteur when I did. $600 would have been too rich for the upgrade. Better off buying a Classic unless you were a first owner with a LTD wood you loved.
You mean like my Blackwood?

I'll probably go for it. The prices seem reasonable given the labor plus BOM for new parts.

Really I only hesitate out of concern that I'll miss the OG sound.

<unrelated musing>
I was thinking about Zach's problem as a small business owner. He has to balance new product R & D, labor and shop time constraints, materials availability, marketing and PR efforts, all across a bunch of different products and services; plus some tiny amount of time devoted to a personal life. Making great products which his customers really appreciate must be quite satisfying, but also must come at a significant cost. Of course, having a great partner probably helps :)
</unrelated musing>

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #6,491 of 8,316
• To me, the original Auteur still represents ‘a’ creative pinnacle at its introduction. I want to keep / treasure that achievement without adornment. 🤷🏻‍♂️😄

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #6,492 of 8,316
Hello
Yes, me too, it's actually okay, that's about how much I estimated it to be.

I am a bit irritated about the 400$ for the first owner and 600$ for the second owner.
Perhaps there are reasons given for this, such as increased administration costs, rework, etc....

I bought an Auteur of the previous version in April or could get hold of one before this version was discontinued.
And I bought it through a certified dealer in Germany.
I also got everything, but I don't know if the name on the owner card is valid or if the proof of purchase is more significant, because the name on the owner card is not on mine, which is not a big deal for me.
In the end, only I know that I am the first owner and the dealer.I would have the invoice as proof if necessary.

I think Zmf can also check the serial number to see if it is correct and then correct it if a second owner wants to upgrade with the full warranty on the driver for the second owner who also paid for it.
I understand that now too.
Also, $600 is not necessarily a lot for a driver revision with all the trimmings.
And a good opportunity for second or third owners to think about it.
And the auteur would be just as new as a newly manufactured auteur.
Somewhere it is also sustainable in that respect when you consider that there are auteurs that are maybe 4-5 years old but the rest are fine.

Purely in terms of the second-hand market, we will probably see different prices in terms of the auteur.
There will also be refurbished auteurs I think that will be cheaper than buying new.
And also normal Auteurs that have remained exceptional in design.

I think Zach Video will bring light into the darkness again, the first brave ones will report and the stone will fall.
It will be 50:50 where the previous version is preferred and the other 50 the new version.

I'm curious to see whether the parts used in the previous version will be returned or remain the intellectual property of Zmf 😁.
I don't think you can change back if you don't like it.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #6,493 of 8,316
I'm not at all surprised by the prices that Zach has announced. I was thinking $500 so my guestimate was almost bang on. Glad that the new ownership follows with the $600 upgrade as it essentially means even though a second-hand Auteur was purchased the owner will have warranty for life.

Unfortunately for current owners that want to sell their Auteur's it causes the second hand pricing to drop drastically. An LTD Auteur Classic would be $1699 retail so if $600 is the upgrade charge the current original Auteurs price, second hand would be no more than $1000. Lately I've seen a few LTD's sell for closer to $1400 making the upcharge a more expensive proposition than Stabilized units.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #6,494 of 8,316
It’s actually pretty amazing that the Classic is going to be sold for $1499. If I’m not mistaken, the OG Auteur was $1599 when it launched. I know there was a $200 pre-sale discount bringing it to $1399 for a limited time, but for comparison sake, the Classic is cheaper than the OG when it was new.

That’s quite an accomplishment considering everything in the world is steadily getting more expensive. I think for me personally, I might be tempted down the road to pick up a used Classic once a few become available. Right now it would be a pretty substantial investment to upgrade my 3rd-owner (though pristine) LTD Ash set. I look forward to reading the impressions from those that take the plunge and get a Classic new or as an upgrade.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #6,495 of 8,316
I'm not at all surprised by the prices that Zach has announced. I was thinking $500 so my guestimate was almost bang on. Glad that the new ownership follows with the $600 upgrade as it essentially means even though a second-hand Auteur was purchased the owner will have warranty for life.

Unfortunately for current owners that want to sell their Auteur's it causes the second hand pricing to drop drastically. An LTD Auteur Classic would be $1699 retail so if $600 is the upgrade charge the current original Auteurs price, second hand would be no more than $1000. Lately I've seen a few LTD's sell for closer to $1400 making the upcharge a more expensive proposition than Stabilized units.
I don't quite believe that.
We will definitely have people who want the previous version.
Because they don't like the classic version.
If they do, it will only be in the short term that the price of the previous version will drop.

Even if Zach's tech video will explain and show a lot.
Can't do anything about emotions if there will be a camp where the previous version is/was better for them.
If we leave out the technical side.

@ckhirnigs113 Otherwise, the fact that they have managed to offer the price at a lower price is also something to be praised.👍You are right with that,😉.
You can also think about a second pair and own both auteur versions, which is not bad either.
And chose later what would do,keep two or sell one,🙈.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back