ZMF Auteur Thread
May 30, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #6,376 of 8,419
Hello,

I agree with you that we do not misunderstand each other and I also share the intentions.👍✌️👍✌️

I have tried a few things over the days with interesting results.

For me, it's always a matter of first understanding the headphones, which always takes a few hours of listening.
That was also the case with the Audeze lcd 2C.
With time you get to know the strengths and weaknesses of the headphones.

It is also clear to me that one should never be prejudiced if a burn in lasts longer hours.
I've already got that far behind me.
I've done the 200 hours and it's already made a difference compared to when I unpacked the headphones and let them play.
Even with the auteur pads it has definitely improved after 200 hours.

In the meantime, I have also found a pair of tubes that works at the moment.
Which is already good.

I also tried out a silver cable against a copper cable, where I also noticed a few subtle things.
I'll have another go at it, even though I've already made up my mind.

I have also played a bit with the dac.
And I was able to gather a few insights there as well.
What I can say is that it has improved a bit more than subtle things with Day Y but also other areas come across less accurate and less good that were better before as with Dac X.
So also there you can and still let the auteur tune to your needs besides a tube amp with different tubes.

The fact is that the first Dac is a standalone at $300 and the other is a Dac/amp at just under $700.
And both play on a similar level with cor and disadvantages.
Looking at my equipment, the Dac is now the weakest link in the chain next to the Feliks Euforia and Auteur headphones.
I have to admit that.
With the Lcd 2c it was still a good match, but unfortunately not any more.
That's why I think that with the Dac I can get something out of it that eliminates the weak areas where there is a deficit.
It's certainly not too much, roughly speaking, but it's essential.
Of course it won't increase the bass range and other areas and the like, but it will make them more accurate.

The auteur is definitely good without talking again.
But in my case it has not yet reached where it needs to be I think.
Tube rolls will only help minimally to make it better and there will still be a price to pay.
I like it a lot and it does a lot better than the Lcd2C.

May 31, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #6,377 of 8,419
Very accurate. The overall balance of frequencies is what I value in the Auteur (and Eikon) ...
Funny. Yesterday I was rotating through my cans (Auteur, Utopia, Ether 2, Hedd, HEKse) and ... once again ... wondered why Auteur are such great cans for listening to the Grateful Dead -- Deadphones :)

And I concluded that this is exactly the answer. They excel at all parts of the frequency spectrum, no element is over-emphasized nor recessed. Jerry's sweet guitar, Phil's thunder, the irresistible rhythmic swing of the drummers, and the passion of the vocals are all there, just as if you were listening from the front row.

I can point at different sonic aspects and say things like 'Phil Bombs explode loudest from Ether 2' or 'the guitars have the most bite from Hedds'. But overall ... Auteur for the win, running away from the field.

Jun 4, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #6,378 of 8,419
I just did some pad-rolling tonight on my Ash Auteur and realized I have the original plastic/mesh covering the driver. It actually has a hole in the middle of the mesh. Here’s what it looks like:
C0AA3337-8D21-42F9-98F7-206788E84E0D.jpegIs anyone else still rocking the original mesh like me? I’m tempted to get the new solid Titan metal mesh, but I have no complaints with the form or function of my current setup. Has anyone made the change and noticed any difference in sound?

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #6,379 of 8,419
Quick update on Auteur pairings, I’m finding the pad choice makes a difference in what amp I prefer to use. With the Auteur Hybrid pads, I was consistently preferring my Quicksilver Headphone Amp over my SW51+. Now that I’ve gone back to the Eikon Suede pads, I’m preferring the SW51+ using its high-Z headphone out over the Quicksilver.

To be clear, both amps sound great with either pad choice on the Auteur. It’s just surprising to me that swapping pads can alter my amp preference. I still want to try the Eikon Hybrid pads. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of anyone trying them on an Auteur.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #6,380 of 8,419
Quick update on Auteur pairings, I’m finding the pad choice makes a difference in what amp I prefer to use. With the Auteur Hybrid pads, I was consistently preferring my Quicksilver Headphone Amp over my SW51+. Now that I’ve gone back to the Eikon Suede pads, I’m preferring the SW51+ using its high-Z headphone out over the Quicksilver.

To be clear, both amps sound great with either pad choice on the Auteur. It’s just surprising to me that swapping pads can alter my amp preference. I still want to try the Eikon Hybrid pads. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of anyone trying them on an Auteur.
• You don’t have enough ‘moving parts’! Roll pads, amps, and tubes! For each track! 🤣.
• When it comes to my ZMFs, the pads have been hither & thither and I have settled with the ‘stock’ pairings (perforated lambskin for Auteur, etc…)…whew!

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #6,381 of 8,419
• You don’t have enough ‘moving parts’! Roll pads, amps, and tubes! For each track! 🤣.
• When it comes to my ZMFs, the pads have been hither & thither and I have settled with the ‘stock’ pairings (perforated lambskin for Auteur, etc…)…whew!
The amount of variables is overwhelming at times to be sure! I only switch things up every once in a while, but I do like the fact that ZMF’s allow these changes that can give you a different sound from the same set of headphones. Sometimes the brain just wants a change of scenery.

Don’t get me wrong, in a month I’m sure I’ll switch back to the Auteur Hybrid pads and Quicksilver amp, and it will be a revelation all over again.

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #6,382 of 8,419
PS…I did recently add the Quicksilver Audio h/p/a to the collection. Very nice….soon to power the Auteur / Atrium. In the meantime, it’s with an Auteur sibling 😀:
8302A559-6023-434F-B3F5-D19DD1200993.jpeg

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #6,383 of 8,419
The amount of variables is overwhelming at times to be sure! I only switch things up every once in a while, but I do like the fact that ZMF’s allow these changes that can give you a different sound from the same set of headphones. Sometimes the brain just wants a change of scenery.

Don’t get me wrong, in a month I’m sure I’ll switch back to the Auteur Hybrid pads and Quicksilver amp, and it will be a revelation all over again.
The best part is all over again (free!, to boot)

Jun 12, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #6,384 of 8,419
Watching the new can jam Chicago 2022 video and they mention auteur owners can upgrade the auteur they own into the new classic version while keeping the wood of their model. I wonder when Zach will send out the email detailing this service.

For me this sounds pretty awesome. Keep the limited you own and benefit from the new innovations of the atriums dampening system :)

Soundstage was already great on this headphone, but to add improvements to soundstage and imaging has me excited to try it out.

Jun 12, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #6,385 of 8,419
Watching the new can jam Chicago 2022 video and they mention auteur owners can upgrade the auteur they own into the new classic version while keeping the wood of their model. I wonder when Zach will send out the email detailing this service.

For me this sounds pretty awesome. Keep the limited you own and benefit from the new innovations of the atriums dampening system :)

Soundstage was already great on this headphone, but to add improvements to soundstage and imaging has me excited to try it out.

I wonder if this will apply to original owners only, or if it will be available to those who bought 2nd hand.

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #6,386 of 8,419

I’m of two minds about this (and have been since it was first mentioned after the Atrium announce).

Improve my favorite headphone? Where do I sign up?

Mess with my Goldilocks headphones? No F...ing Way!

Waiting to hear something definitive from Zach.

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #6,387 of 8,419
I love Auteur for what it is - as it is;
I love Atrium for what it is - as it is.

Auteur = Atrium progenitor;
Atrium = Auteur descendant.

Keep the evolution going, ZMF !!

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #6,388 of 8,419
I’m of two minds about this (and have been since it was first mentioned after the Atrium announce).

Improve my favorite headphone? Where do I sign up?

Mess with my Goldilocks headphones? No F...ing Way!

Waiting to hear something definitive from Zach.
BTW, can still say My.Favorite.Headphone!

Set whole system back up following months of disarray (flood downstairs — everything shoved into 4 rooms upstairs):

Digione streamer ==> mScaler ==> TT2 | Audio-gd Master 11. 5 headphone outputs between them — 2 on front of TT2, 3 on M11. So Utopia & HEKse from TT2 and Auteur, Heddphone & Ether 2 from M11

Did it that way to put cans with similar power needs together. I’d probably blow up Utopia if I plugged them in next to Hedd or Ether 2 and turned E2 or Hedd up loud. But Auteur is fine with them, as is HEK w/ Utopia. So, same source playing from all 5, with similar volume from them all. Music is from a wide variety of artists and genres.

And Auteur reigns supreme. Handles the variety of music I enjoy the best of any cans. Most enjoyable for long listening sessions without fatigue along with Ether 2. Provides the most pure enjoyment of any of my cans, absolutely. While it’s bested in certain areas by other cans, none of my other cans beat it significantly in a multiple areas. Of course the whole ‘Greatest Deadphones’ thing seals the deal :)

Interesting to compare Auteur from the M11 and TT2. Both are DAC/amp combos with plenty of power for all these cans. TT2 uses proprietary DAC technology on a FPGA while the M11 uses a pair of PCM-1704 R-to-R DAC chips. And I’m gonna say that’s most of the difference I hear, along with bass production — I’ll come back to that..

But the headstages are strikingly different from the outset. With my Blackwood Auteur, the M11 provides a headstage that’s kind of like a helmet around my head. I can clearly identify the music coming from different points in that helmet. But with the TT2, it’s like you’re inside the music and the music is inside of you at the same time. I don’t know how to explain it but you hear sounds from within your head and you also hear sounds outside of your head it’s kind of odd but also kind of intriguing. Given that no headstage is going to approach a real world soundstage, whether produced by live music or a stereo speaker system, all you can do is say ‘I like the stage, not this one so much’. Not sure I’m ready to make that call on the TT2. The M11 stage is quite ‘normal’, meaning not surprising or controversial. It is quite coherent and even; as non-‘3-blobish’ of any image I’ve heard. Meanwhile, the TT2 stage renders ‘3-blob’ meaningless.

Really, my only other significant differentiator is the bass. Bass is a little punchier (crisper ?) from TT2, and a bit fuller with more tone from the M11. Not very different. More like a dash of paprika vs cumin.

Anyway, Long Live the King!

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #6,389 of 8,419
I love Auteur for what it is - as it is;
I love Atrium for what it is - as it is.

Auteur = Atrium progenitor;
Atrium = Auteur descendant.

Keep the evolution going, ZMF !!
But is Eikon Grandpappy?

Jun 13, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #6,390 of 8,419
I think that ‘Grandpappy’ is the first Zach mod of Fostex T50rp (?)…..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back