ZMF Auteur Thread
May 11, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #6,346 of 8,369
No, the Atrium mesh is vented as well. It's not as open as the Aeolus radial mesh though. Zach has said it's somewhere between the solid mesh and the radial mesh. He may not have it listed for sale on the ZMF website yet, but I'm sure you can contact them and order it.

The Atrium demos that were reviewed had the solid mesh, but he changed to a vented mesh on the production units.
Oh, cool. I could have sworn I saw a picture of the atrium with the radial mesh somewhere in the thread or SBAF; so I thought he just switched the meshes from solid to radial. Either way, it sounds like the radial mesh is still more suited to what I'm looking to accomplish. I really only want as minimal damping as possible- I really love the added energy/dynamism and treble/sparkle the no mesh offers. Here's hoping it stays when the new mesh comes!

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #6,347 of 8,369
Oh, cool. I could have sworn I saw a picture of the atrium with the radial mesh somewhere in the thread or SBAF; so I thought he just switched the meshes from solid to radial. Either way, it sounds like the radial mesh is still more suited to what I'm looking to accomplish. I really only want as minimal damping as possible- I really love the added energy/dynamism and treble/sparkle the no mesh offers. Here's hoping it stays when the new mesh comes!
I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions once you get the radial mesh installed. I've thought about trying the Atrium mesh myself, but I'm too satisfied with the stock sound at the moment to mess with anything.

May 11, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #6,348 of 8,369
I agree with you @ckhirnigs113 ! I am totally content with the existing mesh and the Auteur perforated lambskin pads for the Auteur. ZACH HAS IT RIGHT by my ears !!

May 11, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #6,349 of 8,369
I could have sworn I saw a picture of the atrium with the radial mesh somewhere in the thread or SBAF
I think that photo was from before Zach had designed the Atrium mesh, and was just trying to have them see if the guy on SABF liked the Aeolus perf mesh to increase the Atrium’s treble response. It seems he designed the Atrium mesh later, as a result f that conversation.

In any case I’m also curious to know what you think if that mesh for the Auteur!

May 14, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #6,350 of 8,369
Just got my Titan mesh and installed it. Only had enough time to enjoy a few tracks, but to my ears it does exactly what I was hoping to achieve! These are of course just first impressions, but I find it makes the auteur feel more open; accentuating the mids (vocals) and treble in particular without leaning out the bass whatsoever. I really love the way crashing cymbals sparkle with this mesh! It does even out the frequency response a bit in comparison to no mesh being on, but it also helps the sound stage become more defined in comparison to the "in-your-face wall of sound" staging no mesh gives you. It's also way less fatiguing compared to the no mesh while still retaining a lot of the dynamism removing it yielded.

I agree with you @ckhirnigs113 ! I am totally content with the existing mesh and the Auteur perforated lambskin pads for the Auteur. ZACH HAS IT RIGHT by my ears !!
Hey, not hating! I enjoyed the auteur as-is for years! It's a wonderful sound and almost perfect!
I just find the auteur with auteur pads to be very similar in terms of brightness to the Verite closed with auteur pads (which I use the most) so I was just craving something brighter for my repertoire! I also have always been completely enamored with the way the Auteur's biocellulose driver does vocals; so having them sound closer and be more of a point of focus is something I really like! :)

Last edited:
May 14, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #6,351 of 8,369
Hello,
I joined the Auteur club.
Was lucky enough to get a new auteur from Zmf after it was announced that he would be temporarily discontinued.
Because the dealer had already ordered weeks before.
Probably you found the bass a bit thin with the perfo.author pads in the beginning.

I still have the Eikons there but haven't tried them yet.
And also read that many have tried pads and many have switched back to the standard author pad.

I still wanted to ask if anyone has tried the normal closed Lambskin pads on it?How it sounds?

I haven't really looked into the mesh yet because I want to wait and see what the new Auteur update will bring and if we will be able to do it on our Auteurs.
Apart from that, mine is still very new and probably needs the burn in until it has developed.

May 14, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #6,352 of 8,369
Hello,
Was lucky enough to get a new auteur from Zmf after it was announced that he would be temporarily discontinued.
Probably you found the bass a bit thin with the perfo.author pads in the beginning.

And also read that many have tried pads and many have switched back to the standard author pad.

I still wanted to ask if anyone has tried the normal closed Lambskin pads on it?How it sounds?

I haven't really looked into the mesh yet because I want to wait and see what the new Auteur update will bring and if we will be able to do it on our Auteurs.
Apart from that, mine is still very new and probably needs the burn in until it has developed.
Congrats on your new pair! Yeah I was gonna say let them burn in for a while. When I got mine used, they hadn’t been burned in, and I also found the bass lacking. Then all of a sudden the bass was just there, with the Auteur Lambskin pads. Just stick with it and they’ll really bloom.

May 15, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #6,353 of 8,369
Hello,

I preferred the Eikon Suede pads thanks to the greater bass impact/extension, what I felt was less harsh yet equally extended highs, and maintaining its imaging and staging.

Definitely let them fully burn in though.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #6,354 of 8,369
Hello,
Congratulations on the new set! I bought a broken-in pair of Auteurs, and the bass is definitely not lacking. So you have that to look forward to!

BTW, having an Eikon and an Auteur as a pair is a great combination, if you ever need a closed headphone as well.

May 15, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #6,355 of 8,369
Thanks, 🙏 and thanks 🙏🙏🙏 for the good input.
So I'll leave it as it is for now and just let it play in, sounds like it really needs the time.
I'm also still a bit cautious about the pads because they are quite expensive if you have them imported.
If I do buy a set, it should fit right away.
I can also try out the Eikon pads when the time comes.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Eikon as headphones.
If I need more bass, I'll have to resort to the modified Denon D2000 for the time being.

The way I read most things, the Zmf generally reacts differently to the Fostex as far as the pads are concerned and most people have gone back to the original.

May 17, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #6,356 of 8,369
Hello,

Have now run the Auteur for a little over 60h.
You were right.
It is now just a quarter of what it needs to play in.

From the bass side it has increased noticeably and has also become more powerful instead of slim like at the beginning.
The interplay in the mid and treble range also seems to have become more coherent.

I'm totally amazed at how quickly this has happened, so far I can't say anything bad.
At the beginning I noticed a little listening fatigue, but today I haven't noticed any of that.
I think that was only temporary.
Let's see how it will do when it gets more playing time.

At the moment I am very happy with the Auteur.

May 22, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #6,357 of 8,369
Hello,

I'm coming back to the forum because there's something that's still bothering me.

I've had it running for a week now, and it's taken me about 115 hours.
It's been a good hike so far as it didn't get much music last week compared to now.
The bass has definitely improved and is less slim.
I only tried the Eikonpads for a short time to get an impression.

But what keeps me going is that the Auteur is fantastic with R&B, Rock and Pop and other genres.
In Hip Hop, the bass really lacks the pressure that one knows from Hip Hop, deep, wide.

Is that still due to the burn in where it needs to be or more to the tuning?
It can and does deliver bass, but with this style of music it seems to me that it can't really cope.
Otherwise I am quite satisfied with what I have heard.

I wouldn't be angry if it just had a borderline bass point, but I would know that another headphone like the Aeolus might be better suited for that in the near future.
It wouldn't really be anything new for me because I came from the Lcd2C, which also had a bit of a bass limit when listening to hip hop, but everything else was strangely better.
Nevertheless, the Auteur is and remains a very good upgrade to the Lcd 2C.

May 22, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #6,358 of 8,369
Hello,

I'm coming back to the forum because there's something that's still bothering me.

I've had it running for a week now, and it's taken me about 115 hours.
It's been a good hike so far as it didn't get much music last week compared to now.
The bass has definitely improved and is less slim.
I only tried the Eikonpads for a short time to get an impression.

But what keeps me going is that the Auteur is fantastic with R&B, Rock and Pop and other genres.
In Hip Hop, the bass really lacks the pressure that one knows from Hip Hop, deep, wide.

Is that still due to the burn in where it needs to be or more to the tuning?
It can and does deliver bass, but with this style of music it seems to me that it can't really cope.
Otherwise I am quite satisfied with what I have heard.

I wouldn't be angry if it just had a borderline bass point, but I would know that another headphone like the Aeolus might be better suited for that in the near future.
It wouldn't really be anything new for me because I came from the Lcd2C, which also had a bit of a bass limit when listening to hip hop, but everything else was strangely better.
Nevertheless, the Auteur is and remains a very good upgrade to the Lcd 2C.
Having tried the lambskin Eikon pads on my Auteur briefly, I can say these did increase the bass quantity vs the Auteur pads (lambskin or hybrid). If that’s still not enough for you when listening to Hip Hop, you might have to try some EQ. I don’t know if further burn-in will make a difference as I bought my set used. I find the bass on the Auteur very natural sounding. It’s not exaggerated though, so it might not be ideal for Hip Hop for your preferences.

May 22, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #6,359 of 8,369
Having tried the lambskin Eikon pads on my Auteur briefly, I can say these did increase the bass quantity vs the Auteur pads (lambskin or hybrid). If that’s still not enough for you when listening to Hip Hop, you might have to try some EQ. I don’t know if further burn-in will make a difference as I bought my set used. I find the bass on the Auteur very natural sounding. It’s not exaggerated though, so it might not be ideal for Hip Hop for your preferences.
Agreed- I have played a lot of bass-heavy pop/rock and some deep-bass EDM with my Auteurs, albeit with a high-end copper cable that adds some warmth and presence, but I’ve never felt bass was lacking.

I see you might be using a Feliks Euforia with the Auteurs, and I can’t imagine that being a cause of lacking bass. 😁 But everyone’s tastes are different of course, as are our ears.

By the way, if your Auteurs are in your profile photo, they are gorgeous!

May 22, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #6,360 of 8,369
@audio duck,yes that is the auteur I got in the profile picture.
I'm attaching a photo, I just noticed that I haven't inserted any.
Thanks for the compliment 🙏.

I am not a fan of Eq.
I think headphones should be able to deliver what the listener expects.
I put up with the filters from the dacs and sometimes they can be helpful.

I had the same problem when I got the Euforia with Lcd 2C and it was really due to the stock tubes where the bass was already anaemic.
It's not that bad with the Auteur.

What comes to mind is that maybe I need to get used to the sound a bit more.
Some people have reported that they had a hard time at the beginning and then all of a sudden it worked.

Of the 115 hours of burn that it has been through, I have only listened to it for maybe 15 hours.
That is perhaps still too little.
Maybe there is still something that could be done with one or the other tube.

Maybe the dac has become the weakest link in the chain, I thought of that.
With the Lcd2C it might have been fine, but now with the Auteur on the Euforia it's something else again.
With the Singxer Sda 2C, it could be undersized in certain areas, I would imagine.

But I also agree that the bass is very natural.
Sometimes it could be a bit more, I think.
With other music genres it fits perfectly, even R&B it does its job really well most of the time and has already brought great moments of happiness.

Next week it will have its first 200 hours on it and then I'll see how it goes.

Thank you for your support,✌️.

Attachments

• DA850510-6F25-42FE-BE3F-FB2DFC63CFE4.jpeg
    DA850510-6F25-42FE-BE3F-FB2DFC63CFE4.jpeg
    258 KB · Views: 0
  • 96C4F565-A00F-479C-B6DE-05F0F436AB53.jpeg
    96C4F565-A00F-479C-B6DE-05F0F436AB53.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 63CEF229-2D33-4325-8081-809A47DF7BC5.jpeg
    63CEF229-2D33-4325-8081-809A47DF7BC5.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 0
  • B13C98AE-B828-4052-BA72-66C460A2CBB6.jpeg