ZMF Auteur Thread
Dec 21, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #541 of 8,391
I haven't heard the Auteur...hope to at NYC CanJam in February. However, I have experience with two R2R DACs, both by Audio GD: the NOS 19 (my day-to-day DAC since mid-2016); & the DAC-19, the oversampling version of the same design.

Re sonics, all I can say is after epic burn-in (some claimed up to 500 hrs burn-in is needed before the sound stops changing--this proved correct), the NOS 19 quickly changed how I hear & think about digital--as in, I no longer think about it at all. It just sounds like music. The DAC-19 isn't quite as effortless & natural as the NOS 19, but pretty close (way better than d/s designs I've heard).
  • FYI, some regard NOS as a warmth filter & say it lowers resolution. All I hear is good sound, but YMMV...

Recently Audio GD retired both units, though I believe new ones can still be purchased from Magna HiFi in the Netherlands (I bought both DACs from Jos@Magna HiFi...excellent experiences).

If you don't want to buy new, there are usually some DAC-19s F.S. here or elsewhere in the $600-$700 range. You rarely ever see NOS 19s F.S.

I've heard both my Ori and a friends' Eikon pretty extensively on the NOS 19; they both sound very good, indeed. So I'm guessing the Auteur would, also.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #542 of 8,391
I haven't heard the Auteur...hope to at NYC CanJam in February. However, I have experience with two R2R DACs, both by Audio GD: the NOS 19 (my day-to-day DAC since mid-2016); & the DAC-19, the oversampling version of the same design.

Re sonics, all I can say is after epic burn-in (some claimed up to 500 hrs burn-in is needed before the sound stops changing--this proved correct), the NOS 19 quickly changed how I hear & think about digital--as in, I no longer think about it at all. It just sounds like music. The DAC-19 isn't quite as effortless & natural as the NOS 19, but pretty close (way better than d/s designs I've heard).
  • FYI, some regard NOS as a warmth filter & say it lowers resolution. All I hear is good sound, but YMMV...

Recently Audio GD retired both units, though I believe new ones can still be purchased from Magna HiFi in the Netherlands (I bought both DACs from Jos@Magna HiFi...excellent experiences).

If you don't want to buy new, there are usually some DAC-19s F.S. here or elsewhere in the $600-$700 range. You rarely ever see NOS 19s F.S.

I've heard both my Ori and a friends' Eikon pretty extensively on the NOS 19; they both sound very good, indeed. So I'm guessing the Auteur would, also.
The value of Audio-GD seems very good based on word of mouth, but I’m concerned about build quality and reliability considering the website (which is stupid bias) and my personal experiences with Chinese-made electronics.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #543 of 8,391
At the risk of veering off-thread/topic, I'll just say that I currently own 3 Audio GD products (the 2 DACs; plus the SA-31SE headphone amp). I purchased the DACs new and have used one steadily for a year and half w/zero issues. I purchased the amp used, and have used it ~1 year...flawless operation. I also owned a used 15.32 DAC/amp/preamp for 2-3 months. It, too, was flawless, + very good sonically & functionally (big value).

True, if any of these boxes fail, it's off the China for repair. But if you follow threads for DAC-19 (many of those in use) or any other Audio GD product, you know the owner/chief designer is a pretty solid citizen. There are the occasional shipping or customs snafu stories w/Audio GD, but you'd hear similar stories for any SE Asia electronics company where overseas shipping is involved.

Dec 21, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #544 of 8,391
Forgot to say (in the interest of full disclosure)--everyone who owns the DAC-19 or NOS-19 wrestles with finding, downloading & installing drivers. I had it easier than most because Magna HiFi pointed me in the right direction. But the "driver thing" is definitely a PITA w/these Audio GD DACs (a PITA that's pretty quickly resolvable...)

Dec 22, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #545 of 8,391
I have the Feliks Euforia and I’ve looked at the Schiit R2R DACs and Amethyst. I’m afraid the Amethyst will make things overly warm and it’s out of my budget. I know very little about the Schiit DACs, except for the fact that the Gumby and Yggy are out of my budget and I’ve heard that they’re very transparent.

Used Gumbys show up for under $1000 a couple times a month usually.

Otherwise, I'd grab a Modi Multibit and sit it out until the next gen Bifrost Multibit comes, which will likely be sooner than later. I found that with headphones, the differences between the Mimby and the current Bimby were very small.

If you want NOS, the Metrum Musette is available for really good used prices these days now that the Amethyst has replaced it as Metrums entry level dac.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #548 of 8,391
I still want the limited edition box picture, but would be fine with the normal hard case as I keep mine in the cases to protect them from our cats.

Jan 2, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #549 of 8,391
I have the Feliks Euforia and I’ve looked at the Schiit R2R DACs and Amethyst. I’m afraid the Amethyst will make things overly warm and it’s out of my budget. I know very little about the Schiit DACs, except for the fact that the Gumby and Yggy are out of my budget and I’ve heard that they’re very transparent.
I have the Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. It is neither warm nor sterile but very "natural and organic" sounding. Detailed, resolving, transparent, yes to all but that is not a bad thing. It is not a "technicolor" type of a DAC. No artificial sweeteners in Schiit DACs but neither does it add any digital nasty's of its own and I've owned many DACs before Gumby. If the recording and source is great, so will be the end result out of Gumby. If there is harshness from clipping of a dynamic range compressed recording, well the DAC is not to blame and it will not hide it.

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #550 of 8,391
Just received my AKG K712 Pro headphones I got for gaming and decided to try them with my music out of the box. .Wow! I actually like them for music! The are not in the league with the Eikon or Atticus or Ori, but they do sound good on their own. They will be awesome at gaming and are my first open headphones. I had never heard an open headphone before now. This makes me want the Auteur even more! Looking for the delivery vehicle any time now. Come on and get here Auteur!

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #551 of 8,391
I hope Zach finishes Machining my Auteurs soon -- they've had that status for a month now :)

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #552 of 8,391
I hope Zach finishes Machining my Auteurs soon -- they've had that status for a month now :)

I was thinking the Blackwood must be wearing out the machine parts with its toughness. The Teak wood will be super, super, super smooth with all that sanding.

Jan 4, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #553 of 8,391
I was thinking the Blackwood must be wearing out the machine parts with its toughness. The Teak wood will be super, super, super smooth with all that sanding.

Well, don't forget, it's Sanding and Finishing. All that finishing ought to make them look reeeeeaaalllly good :)

And yes, the Blackwood must be very hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back