ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 3, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #5,446 of 8,328
I am absolutely loving the sum of all these parts!

PXL_20211103_150204370.jpg

Nov 3, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5,447 of 8,328
I am absolutely loving the sum of all these parts!
How are you finding the Soekris? I always wondered about that DAC. The Auteur sounds even better with tubes but you can’t go wrong with the Mini.

Nov 4, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #5,449 of 8,328
2021_1103_17384800.jpg

While I adore the Maple wood, the Bocote Auteur is truly the most gorgeous one to my eyes.

If I remember correctly the Bocote sound closer to Teak than Maple.
Agree, the Bocote is spectacular.

Attachments

• 3CDCA964-1087-4267-B47A-D2C94B1DAD3C.jpeg
    3CDCA964-1087-4267-B47A-D2C94B1DAD3C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 4, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #5,450 of 8,328
2021_1103_17384800.jpg

While I adore the Maple wood, the Bocote Auteur is truly the most gorgeous one to my eyes.

If I remember correctly the Bocote sound closer to Teak than Maple.
Beautiful set! Quite a bit different grain pattern than mine. I like the look of mine, but like yours more.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #5,451 of 8,328
I’m not much of a pad-roller, but I got the itch to try the Eikon Perforated Suede pads tonight. I’m glad I did! I really like the touch of warmth that these bring vs the stock Auteur Lambskin pads. For my preferences, these Eikon Suedes seem perfect.

On my VC’s, I only owned the stock Autuer Lambskin and Universe Lambskin pads. I tried the Universe pads for all of 10 minutes before going right back to the stock Auteur pads and never considered switching pads again.

That experience made me biased into thinking I’d prefer the Auteur Perforated pads on the Auteur. It just goes to show that each of Zach’s headphones deserve to be tried out with a variety of his pads to find the best fit for your tastes.

My Manchurian Ash Auteur came with Eikon Perforated Lambskin pads as well, but I don’t think I need any more warmth/bass than I’m getting from the Eikon Suedes, so I’m going to put off demoing them for a while.

After a week of owning the Auteur, there has been an interesting development in my amp preferences. I own two tube amps, the Shortest Way 51+ (aka SW51+) and the Quicksilver Headphone Amp. I spent quite a bit of money rolling tubes in the Quicksilver to find my favorite combination for the Verite Closed. Having just sold my VC, it’s all about the Auteur at the moment. With my VC, I liked both amps but found the Quicksilver to be a step up in most regards. I assumed this would hold true with the Auteur, but to my surprise, the SW51+ is quickly becoming my preference. The SW51+ has low-Z (24 Ohm) and high-Z (50 Ohm) headphone outputs. I’ve been using its high impedance output and think this might be giving it the edge over the Quicksilver with its 2.2 Ohm headphone out.

The lesson I’ve learned here is a common one. Synergy matters just as much as anything in this hobby. Never assume your “better” amp is going to sound better with a particular headphone.

With the Eikon Suede pads and excellent pairing with my SW51+, I’m seriously doubting my need to buy another VC. I only sold my Manchurian Ash VC in anticipation of the upcoming Blackwood LTD release, but now this Auteur, with its unexpected sonic prowess, is making me second guess my need for another expensive pair of headphones!

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #5,452 of 8,328
I’m not much of a pad-roller, but I got the itch to try the Eikon Perforated Suede pads tonight. I’m glad I did! I really like the touch of warmth that these bring vs the stock Auteur Lambskin pads. For my preferences, these Eikon Suedes seem perfect.

On my VC’s, I only owned the stock Autuer Lambskin and Universe Lambskin pads. I tried the Universe pads for all of 10 minutes before going right back to the stock Auteur pads and never considered switching pads again.

That experience made me biased into thinking I’d prefer the Auteur Perforated pads on the Auteur. It just goes to show that each of Zach’s headphones deserve to be tried out with a variety of his pads to find the best fit for your tastes.

My Manchurian Ash Auteur came with Eikon Perforated Lambskin pads as well, but I don’t think I need any more warmth/bass than I’m getting from the Eikon Suedes, so I’m going to put off demoing them for a while.

After a week of owning the Auteur, there has been an interesting development in my amp preferences. I own two tube amps, the Shortest Way 51+ (aka SW51+) and the Quicksilver Headphone Amp. I spent quite a bit of money rolling tubes in the Quicksilver to find my favorite combination for the Verite Closed. Having just sold my VC, it’s all about the Auteur at the moment. With my VC, I liked both amps but found the Quicksilver to be a step up in most regards. I assumed this would hold true with the Auteur, but to my surprise, the SW51+ is quickly becoming my preference. The SW51+ has low-Z and high-Z headphone outputs. I’ve been using its high impedance output and think this might be giving it the edge over the Quicksilver with its 2.2 ohm headphone out.

The lesson I’ve learned here is a common one. Synergy matters just as much as anything in this hobby. Never assume your “better” amp is going to sound better with a particular headphone.

With the Eikon Suede pads and excellent pairing with my SW51+, I’m seriously doubting my need to buy another VC. I only sold my Manchurian Ash VC in anticipation of the upcoming Blackwood LTD release, but now this Auteur, with its unexpected sonic prowess, is making me second guess my need for another expensive pair of headphones!
You are so right about synergy. What makes it even more fun and interesting is personal preference. I just rolled the Eikon Suede Perforated pads into my Bocote and the exact opposite reaction. I found it to turn my Auteur into a muddy mid bass mess; slow and overly warm.

I love that you had the opposite reaction. How cool that a headphone can omit such different sonic reactions just by changing the pads.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #5,453 of 8,328
You are so right about synergy. What makes it even more fun and interesting is personal preference. I just rolled the Eikon Suede Perforated pads into my Bocote and the exact opposite reaction. I found it to turn my Auteur into a muddy mid bass mess; slow and overly warm.

I love that you had the opposite reaction. How cool that a headphone can omit such different sonic reactions just by changing the pads.
So many variables at play: type of wood, amp, DAC, cable, personal preference, etc. I agree, it is really cool that we could respond to the same pads so differently. Zach knows what he’s talking about when he constantly recommends ZMF owners try out different pads on his headphones. I’m a believer now!

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #5,454 of 8,328
So many variables at play: type of wood, amp, DAC, cable, personal preference, etc. I agree, it is really cool that we could respond to the same pads so differently. Zach knows what he’s talking about when he constantly recommends ZMF owners try out different pads on his headphones. I’m a believer now!
Agreed. However, there are really no discernible differences in the wood sounds. At least not that I can hear. I certainly prefer the look of different woods and patterns, but honestly can’t tell a difference from one wood to another.

But, yes the pads are crazy how much they can charge the tuning.

Amps and DACs are a whole different rabbit hole. My favorite part of the hobby. I recently sold my Bottlehead Mainline which was my main amp for the Auteur. I commissioned a CFA3 build and decided I liked my Auteur as much if not more on my SS Cembalo Spring 1, which pushed me to move away from the Mainline and get my SS amp of dreams in the CFA3.

The Quicksilver is intriguing for sure. What is the SW51+? Not familiar with that amp by those initials.

I personally prefer R2R DACs, especially with Zach’s headphones. The tonality/timbre seems to work best for my preferences.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #5,455 of 8,328
I’ve never owned a ZMF model in two different woods types, so I’ve never had the chance to compare. I’ve read impressions saying wood makes a big difference, while others say it makes very little difference at all. My uneducated guess is that it probably makes a very subtle difference. I agree with the recommendation to buy ZMF’s based on the wood you like the most aesthetically. That’s what I have done myself.

Nov 7, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #5,456 of 8,328
I’ve never owned a ZMF model in two different woods types, so I’ve never had the chance to compare. I’ve read impressions saying wood makes a big difference, while others say it makes very little difference at all. My uneducated guess is that it probably makes a very subtle difference. I agree with the recommendation to buy ZMF’s based on the wood you like the most aesthetically. That’s what I have done myself.
In all my years buying ZMF (Vibro Mk1 thru to the Auteur), Zach has always recommended I buy what I find the most aesthetically appealing.

Some do hear significant differences. I am just not in that camp.

Nov 7, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #5,457 of 8,328
Agreed. However, there are really no discernible differences in the wood sounds. At least not that I can hear. I certainly prefer the look of different woods and patterns, but honestly can’t tell a difference from one wood to another.

But, yes the pads are crazy how much they can charge the tuning.

Amps and DACs are a whole different rabbit hole. My favorite part of the hobby. I recently sold my Bottlehead Mainline which was my main amp for the Auteur. I commissioned a CFA3 build and decided I liked my Auteur as much if not more on my SS Cembalo Spring 1, which pushed me to move away from the Mainline and get my SS amp of dreams in the CFA3.

The Quicksilver is intriguing for sure. What is the SW51+? Not familiar with that amp by those initials.

I personally prefer R2R DACs, especially with Zach’s headphones. The tonality/timbre seems to work best for my preferences.
👍👍👍 on your last paragraph!

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #5,458 of 8,328
In all my years buying ZMF (Vibro Mk1 thru to the Auteur), Zach has always recommended I buy what I find the most aesthetically appealing.

Some do hear significant differences. I am just not in that camp.

So then surely one must buy based on weight? Some of the limited editions have absurd weights for extended music enjoyment.

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #5,459 of 8,328
So then surely one must buy based on weight? Some of the limited editions have absurd weights for extended music enjoyment.
There is definitely a difference in weight. Not an issue for me with 3 kids. I never get more than 90 minutes at a time of listening. I do find that all of his headphones are super comfortable as he does a great job with weight distribution. But, there is no denying that certain woods weigh more. That is purely subjective for each listener. For me, I can only speak to the fact I cannot hear a difference between the woods. I absolutely love my Auteur Bocote LTD. It is absolutely gorgeous and sounds fantastic. I think @jonathan c called the Auteur "musically neutral". I have yet to hear a better description of the Auteur. Whatever version someone buys, they will be getting a musically neutral headphone that sounds incredible on both tube amps and SS amps. My personal opinion is that an R2R DAC is needed with a SS amp. I am so excited to hear the Auteur on my incoming CFA3.

Lately, I have been messing with the convolution filters in Roon. I have never used EQ. I found a convolution filter that I really like with the Auteur. However, it really doesn't need EQ. Just a good set of ears, a good amp and dac and your favorite music. :)

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #5,460 of 8,328

After a week of owning the Auteur, there has been an interesting development in my amp preferences. I own two tube amps, the Shortest Way 51+ (aka SW51+) and the Quicksilver Headphone Amp. I spent quite a bit of money rolling tubes in the Quicksilver to find my favorite combination for the Verite Closed. Having just sold my VC, it’s all about the Auteur at the moment. With my VC, I liked both amps but found the Quicksilver to be a step up in most regards. I assumed this would hold true with the Auteur, but to my surprise, the SW51+ is quickly becoming my preference. The SW51+ has low-Z (24 Ohm) and high-Z (50 Ohm) headphone outputs. I’ve been using its high impedance output and think this might be giving it the edge over the Quicksilver with its 2.2 Ohm headphone out.

IMO this post is excellent, full of practical observations + some wise conclusions. Keep 'em coming @ckhirnigs113!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back