ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 16, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #5,417 of 8,327
Why not Auteur pads from zmf. New ones.
On the website it says that it takes 4-7 days to ship + some time to reach Japan. I was thinking of finding an alternative, maybe something from the local store here

I'm glad that the Auteur became my first high-end headphone purchased. The timbre for vocals and guitars are so good, very natural and beautiful. Looking to pair with Feliks tube amplifier in the future as some here have suggested :) The sound is somewhat similar in character to HD650, but in a way a league higher
taken-1634398377000.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #5,418 of 8,327
On the website it says that it takes 4-7 days to ship + some time to reach Japan. I was thinking of finding an alternative, maybe something from the local store here

I'm glad that the Auteur became my first high-end headphone purchased. The timbre for vocals and guitars are so good, very natural and beautiful. Looking to pair with Feliks tube amplifier in the future as some here have suggested :) The sound is somewhat similar in character to HD650, but in a way a league higher
taken-1634398377000.jpg
We have said 4 to 7 days to ship just in case we need that time as a small business, but typically they will ship within 1 - 3 business days.

DHL shipping will take 2 - 4 days from shipment.

I'm so glad you're enjoying them! I don't think you'll be able to get that same sound with any other MFRs pads due to the specific nature of our pads and how they are constructed for each headphone, so it may be hard to find an exact replacement. Ofcourse there are plenty of pads that will fit and could meet your subjective preferences for sound.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #5,419 of 8,327
We have said 4 to 7 days to ship just in case we need that time as a small business, but typically they will ship within 1 - 3 business days.

I'm so glad you're enjoying them! I don't think you'll be able to get that same sound with any other MFRs pads due to the specific nature of our pads and how they are constructed for each headphone, so it may be hard to find an exact replacement. Ofcourse there are plenty of pads that will fit and could meet your subjective preferences for sound.
Oh that's great then. In that case I might order one later this month (need to save up first) :) The closest one I could find was this pair for Fostex TH900. But the diameter is 103mm, short from 111mm that Auteur has

Thank you for crafting them! They not only sound good, they're also beautiful and sturdy. It feels like the wood has their voice imparted within. And that connection to each user is unique

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #5,420 of 8,327

Auteurs===well worth the wait!!! (A&S Kensie Ovation, Vioelectric HPA V550)

Oct 17, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #5,421 of 8,327
Finished the cable kit. Even without braiding (I got the atmos silver) it was a challenge of a project. The mini xlr connectors are very small to solder. To be honest, I’m a bit surprised everything is working on first go. Sound check tomorrow :).

Oct 17, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #5,423 of 8,327
I am really curious what you think of sound with this cable and auteur

I'll have a decent amount of time at work tomorrow to listen, and perhaps even swap out with the stock cable. Today I only had the energy to make sure they worked. :)

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #5,425 of 8,327
I just posted a review of the Auteur on my new YouTube channel:

Enjoy!

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #5,426 of 8,327
taken-1635036789723.jpg
taken-1635036797869.jpg

It's incredible how beautiful the Auteur are. Mine was the 2018 model, yet the wood seem to age well, all the while still maintaining that natural luster. These are truly built to last :)

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #5,427 of 8,327
Try as I might to maintain self control, I’ve broken down and bought a used Auteur. I couldn’t resist the LTD Manchurian Ash set that popped up for sale today on the classifieds. I already have a red-stained Manchurian Ash Verite Closed, so now I will have an open-back ZMF set to complement them. I’m finding it hard to believe that in a few days I will have two sets of Manchurian Ash ZMF’s. It’s crazy.

The Auteurs I bought come with perforated lambskin Eikon pads and perforated suede Eikon pads. On my VC my preference is the default lambskin Auteur pads. I’m wondering if I should buy a set of perforated Auteur pads now or just see what I think of the two Eikon pads. In my mind, it seems like sacrilege to have Auteurs without the pads that share their name!

The Auteur I bought also comes with the ZMF 2K copper cable. It looks impressive, and I’m eager to see if I notice any improvements over the ZMF OFC cable I’ve been using with my VC for over a year. I’ll admit that I would have never in a million years bought a $500 headphone cable, but I certainly wasn’t upset to have it thrown in the bundle!

Here’s a sneak peak at the beautiful Ash set heading my way:
A3EED5F4-D54D-47C0-8202-3AE7580A8B98.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #5,428 of 8,327
Try as I might to maintain self control, I’ve broken down and bought a used Auteur. I couldn’t resist the LTD Manchurian Ash set that popped up for sale today on the classifieds. I already have a red-stained Manchurian Ash Verite Closed, so now I will have an open-back ZMF set to complement them. I’m finding it hard to believe that in a few days I will have two sets of Manchurian Ash ZMF’s. It’s crazy.

The Auteurs I bought come with perforated lambskin Eikon pads and perforated suede Eikon pads. On my VC my preference is the default lambskin Auteur pads. I’m wondering if I should buy a set of perforated Auteur pads now or just see what I think of the two Eikon pads. In my mind, it seems like sacrilege to have Auteurs without the pads that share their name!

The Auteur I bought also comes with the ZMF 2K copper cable. It looks impressive, and I’m eager to see if I notice any improvements over the ZMF OFC cable I’ve been using with my VC for over a year. I’ll admit that I would have never in a million years bought a $500 headphone cable, but I certainly wasn’t upset to have it thrown in the bundle!

I think saw those when they went on sale from the original owner! I would have jumped on them if I didn’t have a pair already. Congrats!

Curious to hear your thoughts on the 2K copper cable too.

Oct 27, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #5,429 of 8,327

That’s a yes on buying a set of auteur pads. My pad preference is eikon perf suede followed by auteur perf lambskin. Eikon perf lambskin was a distant third.

Oct 27, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #5,430 of 8,327
taken-1635036789723.jpg
taken-1635036797869.jpg

It's incredible how beautiful the Auteur are. Mine was the 2018 model, yet the wood seem to age well, all the while still maintaining that natural luster. These are truly built to last :)

Can't tell what wood that is--but IMO this wood is flat-out beautiful.

If this headphone sounds as good as it looks, you are one lucky fellow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back