ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 27, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #5,431 of 8,322
Another formidable Auteur / OTL combination, with an excellent (and colourful) cable from Custom Cans UK 🤓…
222A89DA-1E6E-4CC7-BD45-B0F6521ECF0E.jpeg

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #5,432 of 8,322
Last time I tested Auteur could be several months ago, with Teak wood.

Per today I able to tested again the Ambrosia Maple Auteur, and what a surprise, actually I quite like it! (Auteur was the only ZMF Open back that I always fail to impress).

It's still rather on neutral side like Teak, but with more smoothness and hint of sweetness in midrange area that draw me more to musical emotion. Of course not as much as Verite/Aeolus, but I do understand the concept of Auteur is being neutral and transparent with satisfying wide soundstage image.

Not sure what really happen here, could be my taste change a bit, or Maple reveal more magic of Auteur to me.

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #5,433 of 8,322

Per today I able to tested again the Ambrosia Maple Auteur, and what a surprise, actually I quite like it! (Auteur was the only ZMF Open back that I always fail to impress).

It's still rather on neutral side like Teak, but with more smoothness and hint of sweetness in midrange area that draw me more to musical emotion. Of course not as much as Verite/Aeolus, but I do understand the concept of Auteur is being neutral and transparent with satisfying wide soundstage image.

Not sure what really happen here, could be my taste change a bit, or Maple reveal more magic of Auteur to me.
Although my memory could be unreliable, I also remember trying the Teak a couple years ago and thinking the sound was rather dry, then picking up my Black Limba pair (which has a much lower Janka rating) and really liking the sweetness of the sound. Since Ambrosia Maple is so close to Teak in terms of density, though, it might be that production has slightly changed on the auteur since it was first released, since the original stock wood was Teak. Just speculating!

The Wenge pair I had more recently was definitely darker in tonality than either, but also more realistic, less open sounding, and a LOT punchier. I think the wood definitely played a role there.

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #5,434 of 8,322
Although my memory could be unreliable, I also remember trying the Teak a couple years ago and thinking the sound was rather dry, then picking up my Black Limba pair (which has a much lower Janka rating) and really liking the sweetness of the sound. Since Ambrosia Maple is so close to Teak in terms of density, though, it might be that production has slightly changed on the auteur since it was first released, since the original stock wood was Teak. Just speculating!

The Wenge pair I had more recently was definitely darker in tonality than either, but also more realistic, less open sounding, and a LOT punchier. I think the wood definitely played a role there.

I’ve owned three pairs of Auteurs and I’m actually surprised by how much the wood choice affects the sound. This is probably due to the fact that they’re super neutral so they take in more flavor from the wood and any associated gear. I found my Blackwoods to be very hard hitting and punchy, almost aggressive sounding while the Teak had excellent treble extension and sounded pretty sweet. I think the Teak is actually the best indicator of the stock sound of the Auteur and hence why it was selected as the stock wood of choice.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #5,435 of 8,322
Initial impressions of the new-to-me Manchurian Ash Auteur are very positive. Like all the ZMF headphones I’ve owned, the pictures never do them justice. They always look better in person! My set is super-striking in appearance.

They came with a ZMF 2K Copper cable and I’m impressed with the quality of this thing in hand. It feels very nice to the touch, and I’m detecting no microphonics at all. I’ve been using the ZMF OFC cable with my VC’s, and I can always hear it when the cable moves and brushes against my shirt. It’s hardly perceptible when music is playing, so it hasn’t really been an issue. That being said, it is nice to have a cable that doesn’t transmit any of these noises.

I’ll report back on the sound after I’ve had more time with them. So far they sound very natural and cohesive in combination with my BF2 and Quicksilver.

Obligatory photo of my new beauties:
A9A46B1E-3045-45EB-80EB-8D930C6BDF6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5,436 of 8,322

Well, that could be true, even though I'm not sure. Additional info, Teak Auteur I listened before was around 3-4 years old already, but the owner installed new pad, so no pad difference here. I felt Teak is on drier side with closer to border of sibilance for certain recordings while Maple tone sweeter.

I do feel the wood does affect the sound when compared several Verites on different woods side by side.

I’ve owned three pairs of Auteurs and I’m actually surprised by how much the wood choice affects the sound. This is probably due to the fact that they’re super neutral so they take in more flavor from the wood and any associated gear. I found my Blackwoods to be very hard hitting and punchy, almost aggressive sounding while the Teak had excellent treble extension and sounded pretty sweet. I think the Teak is actually the best indicator of the stock sound of the Auteur and hence why it was selected as the stock wood of choice.

Agree, Blackwood hits harder and more "aggressive" in nature when I tried Aeolus and Verite Blackwood. They become more energic and impactful than their siblings on different woods.

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #5,437 of 8,322
Where would you place the Ash set I got from you in relation to the Teak and Blackwoods you’ve owned?

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #5,438 of 8,322
Where would you place the Ash set I got from you in relation to the Teak and Blackwoods you’ve owned?
It’s a lighter wood and has good treble extension but it’s still a bit more forward and less sweeter sounding than the Teak. Probably closer to the Teak tho.

Oct 30, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #5,439 of 8,322

It is interesting to hear all the feedback on different wood types and how they sound. My experience has been that the wood makes very little difference. The pads seem to make a huge difference. I use the Spec Perforated Auteur Lambskins and love it. With the Suede Perforated Eikin pads the bass got muddy and the mid bass to pronounced for my liking. I always have bought ZMF based on my preference for how the wood looks, less for the changes the wood imparts on the sound. They are virtually the same to my ears.

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #5,440 of 8,322

Possibly different pads mounted on the different sets? The Eikon perf pads add that midrange sweetness you're describing.

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #5,441 of 8,322
Edit: oops, wrong thread!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #5,442 of 8,322
Possibly different pads mounted on the different sets? The Eikon perf pads add that midrange sweetness you're describing.

Always with Auteur pad. Actually I never tried Eikon pad option till now. Sounds like I should give it a try.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #5,443 of 8,322
It is interesting to hear all the feedback on different wood types and how they sound. My experience has been that the wood makes very little difference. The pads seem to make a huge difference. I use the Spec Perforated Auteur Lambskins and love it. With the Suede Perforated Eikin pads the bass got muddy and the mid bass to pronounced for my liking. I always have bought ZMF based on my preference for how the wood looks, less for the changes the wood imparts on the sound. They are virtually the same to my ears.
Thanks for all the likes. I was shocked how much of a difference the pads make. The Auteur sounded like a completely different headphone with the Eikon Suede Perfs.

I believe Zach has a spot on his website where he recommends people to choose their woods based on aesthetics first.

Nov 1, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #5,444 of 8,322
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Nov 1, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #5,445 of 8,322
This is my favorite aesthetic - just awesome looking.

If ever someone has a set like this for sale, hit me up. I'll buy :)
Yeah, I really lucked out snagging this pair. Zach uses a few similar Ash Auteur's on the ZMF website sitting against the Pendant. I think they are the most striking visually and really grab your attention. I don't know if I'll ever let these go, but if I do, I'll let you know!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back