ZMF Auteur Thread
Jul 24, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #3,916 of 8,309

Just received these from a kindly vegan.
So far quite good but I think these will be up for trade/sale in the near future. Still, great headphones
If you're not a vegan yourself, you may want to try a non-suede pad first. I love my vegan auteur with suede pads, but I have seem comments I think from Zach saying that suede pads aren't recommended for the auteur. I also learned I preferred the Eikon suede pads over the Auteur versions so maybe try those too.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #3,918 of 8,309
If you're not a vegan yourself, you may want to try a non-suede pad first. I love my vegan auteur with suede pads, but I have seem comments I think from Zach saying that suede pads aren't recommended for the auteur. I also learned I preferred the Eikon suede per over the Auteur versions so maybe try those too.

I'm not a vegan so the suede headband and pads were an immediate disappointment.
Honestly, I think lambskin or other leather-esque pads would greatly help. I generally don't like the sound of suede pads anyways; the problem is that I would rather have the Arya's than spend a lot on pads and given the exchange rate+cost of shipping to Canada it's not really worth it to buy a set and raise the amount I would lose trying to get in the direction I want. I did get two extra suede pads so I may put one up for trade for a leather pad set and I also have a pair of Dekoni DT leather pads to try.

I've only had them for a few hours and I will give them at least two weeks before they go to pasture. I already like them enough that in theory I may just try to get rid of something else to keep them if after a change or two they are vindicated.
Plus I want to try them with a tube amp before all is settled.

Jul 24, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #3,919 of 8,309
20200724_154251.jpg

Just received these from a kindly vegan.
So far quite good but I think these will be up for trade/sale in the near future. Still, great headphones
Silly me I know, but what wood is that?

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #3,921 of 8,309
I'm not a vegan so the suede headband and pads were an immediate disappointment.
Honestly, I think lambskin or other leather-esque pads would greatly help. I generally don't like the sound of suede pads anyways; the problem is that I would rather have the Arya's than spend a lot on pads and given the exchange rate+cost of shipping to Canada it's not really worth it to buy a set and raise the amount I would lose trying to get in the direction I want. I did get two extra suede pads so I may put one up for trade for a leather pad set and I also have a pair of Dekoni DT leather pads to try.

I've only had them for a few hours and I will give them at least two weeks before they go to pasture. I already like them enough that in theory I may just try to get rid of something else to keep them if after a change or two they are vindicated.
Plus I want to try them with a tube amp before all is settled.
Yes, Auteur with tubes (OTL in my case) is a treat!

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #3,922 of 8,309
Yes, Auteur with tubes (OTL in my case) is a treat!

By all accounts, all of the ZMF phones like tube amps! My Auteurs, when I finally get them, will be paired with a SET (Mogwai SE) and an OTL Bottlehead Crackatwoa.

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #3,923 of 8,309
Brothers from another mother

1596006098916.png

Aug 2, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #3,925 of 8,309
If you're not a vegan yourself, you may want to try a non-suede pad first. I love my vegan auteur with suede pads, but I have seem comments I think from Zach saying that suede pads aren't recommended for the auteur. I also learned I preferred the Eikon suede pads over the Auteur versions so maybe try those too.

So I mentioned earlier that I got two pairs of pads with my Autuers and one of them is the perforated suede Eikon set! Greatly preferred over the suede Autuers. Wider soundstage, same balance but some how more put together, roughly the same amount of bass too.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #3,926 of 8,309
So I mentioned earlier that I got two pairs of pads with my Autuers and one of them is the perforated suede Eikon set! Greatly preferred over the suede Autuers. Wider soundstage, same balance but some how more put together, roughly the same amount of bass too.
Totally agree, which is interesting because I think I've seen for the lambskin ones, the Eikons are said to reduce the soundstage given the more narrow opening. I've tried them with the solid suede Ori and suede Universe pads too and still prefer the Eikon ones.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #3,927 of 8,309
Totally agree, which is interesting because I think I've seen for the lambskin ones, the Eikons are said to reduce the soundstage given the more narrow opening. I've tried them with the solid suede Ori and suede Universe pads too and still prefer the Eikon ones.

Lol the last set of pads is the solid suede ori! We can compare notes in more detail after I get a tube amp.

Suffice to say these are the best dynamics I've ever heard; I love the tone, the speed and the forgiveness of the sound. Unfortunately I still prefer planars. However, its only barely beaten by my LCD3 and beats my HE500 in many ways.
The Autuers are probably the most balanced and best constructed neutral/warm headphones out. I could see someone preferring a Focal Clear as being more dynamic, aggressive and brighter, but I honestly think that the Autuer is one of the best dynamic driver sidearm or single headphone choices.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #3,928 of 8,309
Does anyone know the gram weight of the cocobolo auteurs? I used to own and am curious how they compare to a teak set I just picked up. The teaks I now have seem noticeably lighter.

Also was curious for folks that have the silver mesh installed in the cups: what pads have you found to be the best? Obviously subjective but curious to hear folks' thoughts.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #3,929 of 8,309
My Cocobolo set are 527 with magnesium chassis, so I guess 560 with the regular one. My Zebrawood with standard one was 580g. Both measured with Eikon suede pads on. For comparison, my Verite Silk are 455g, Aeolus Sapele with standard chassis 470, and Atticus camphor burl magnesium chassis 469. Even the heaviest of those was very comfortable.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3,930 of 8,309
My Cocobolo set are 527 with magnesium chassis, so I guess 560 with the regular one. My Zebrawood with standard one was 580g. Both measured with Eikon suede pads on. For comparison, my Verite Silk are 455g, Aeolus Sapele with standard chassis 470, and Atticus camphor burl magnesium chassis 469. Even the heaviest of those was very comfortable.
Thanks, wow that's a big difference from the Teak (100 grams?). I sold the coco because I found them too heavy, makes the regret not as significant despite how beautiful they were :wink:. You have quite the set, I had an eikon burl at one point, beautiful wood. You've been using the suede eikon pads on your auteurs? That is what I currently have installed, but was curious if I should experiment with my other pads (auteur suede and lambskin, verite pads, BE2 hybrids, universe lambskin and suede - curious if anyone liked these pads with an auteur).

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back