ZMF Auteur Thread
Dec 21, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #3,616 of 8,369
What is the most effective method to break in the Auteur, Pink Noise?
I don't do any specific procedures. I just put music to play non-stop and normal listening volume.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #3,618 of 8,369
What is the most effective method to break in the Auteur, Pink Noise?

I use various genres of music for ~1/2 the burn-in time (typically 150 hrs for a ZMF HP); and rotate pink & gaussian noise files at higher volumes for the rest.

4 years ago a very kind Head-Fi'er sent me 3 noise file mp3s, and I've used the pink & gaussian ones for many dozens of hours burning in all kinds of stuff.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:05 AM Post #3,619 of 8,369
I'm choosing Vérité or Auteur to compliment my HD800S. I prefer different sound signature from HD800s but not as warm as Ether 2. HD800s for jazz and classical and the new one for the rest except rock/heavy metal. Audition is not possible where I live. Which one do you recommend?

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #3,621 of 8,369
I'm choosing Vérité or Auteur to compliment my HD800S. I prefer different sound signature from HD800s but not as warm as Ether 2. HD800s for jazz and classical and the new one for the rest except rock/heavy metal. Audition is not possible where I live. Which one do you recommend?
I have not heard the verite.

if this helps the auteur is like an uber hd600.
Well balanced and neutral with mids a little more forward than the hd600

nice resonance from the wooden cups. Sounds great with acoustic music

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #3,622 of 8,369
What's your dac/amp?

Also, what do you define as warm about the Ether 2? Is the bass quantity too much, or are the mids too pronounced?

Dec 30, 2019 at 3:43 AM Post #3,624 of 8,369
HDV 820, Hugo2 and maybe V280 or WA22 in the near future. Sorry, it's Aeon Flow Open not Ether 2. I'm a novice, cannot explain how warm AFO is.
I'd probably suggest the Auteur. It's my preferred ZMF for a more neutral sound signature, and has many traits that would be different from the HD800 without straying too far into basshead land.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #3,625 of 8,369
Do you mind sharing the sound signature between both? From what I read I’m afraid that Auteur would be too similar to my HD800s But I might be wrong.

The sound signature I’m after is like 64audio U12t or Noble Encore with a bit smoother treble.

Dec 30, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #3,626 of 8,369
I have a pair of HD800 and after much experimenting chose the Auteur as the yin to the Sennheiser’s yang. I find them to be a terrific complement, with very little overlap, yet both perfectly adept at portraying all it is I enjoy in music in a different manner.

I also have the U12t which is my IEM of choice. It gives me sort of the best of both between the ZMF and HD800, though the sound signature tends to lean more toward the latter.

Dec 30, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #3,627 of 8,369
Do you mind sharing the sound signature between both? From what I read I’m afraid that Auteur would be too similar to my HD800s But I might be wrong.

The sound signature I’m after is like 64audio U12t or Noble Encore with a bit smoother treble.
i own the auteur and owned both the regular hd800 and hd800s. i much prefer the auteur for the following reasons. the auteur is warmer, with more subbass and midbass, giving notes a more natural weight. the mids are more forward and present on the auteur as well. the hd800 is too diffuse or distant in it's staging. i felt disconnected to the music, like i was sitting in the rear section of the venue, vs the back of the first section with the auteur. i also found the auteur treble much smoother and more natural than the hd800. the hd800 always intrigued me with it's resolution, but i always felt it's tonal balance and timbre to be off, or artificial. it was just too lean and bright for my tastes. that's where the auteur really shines. it's far more natural sounding, imo. obviously just my opinions. if you find the hd800 natural sounding, i'm thinking you'll find the auteur too warm. i can understand why people will say they're very similar, in that they both strive for a natural, reference, neutral tuning, but imo the auteur hits it, whereas the hd800 is a bit south of that, on the lean side. my preferences are definitely warm, with a more intimate stage.

edit - so no, i don't think they'll sound too similar, and would make a reasonably good complimentary set, especially if you don't like a lot of warmth, which is what you'll get with the other zmf headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #3,628 of 8,369

Maybe give this a watch.

I don't think the Auteur sounds like the hd800, and I think Resolve did a great job comparing the two.

Edit: Yes, what @erics75 said. He said it well.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #3,629 of 8,369
I had the HD800S's and I still have the Auteurs. To me they are complimentary headphones. The Auteurs are musical, warm, full bodied, has a killer midrange, and great bass. They also sound good with all musical genres to my ears. The HD800S's are open, detailed, and insightful. That combination is not good for classic rock and metal music, but sound amazing with acoustic, jazz and classical music. I sold the HD800S's in favor of the HD820's, which are more of my flavor in headphones.

Jan 11, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #3,630 of 8,369
Too quiet on this thread.

I’ve recently upgraded my DAP (Cowon Plenue II to Plenue II Mk2). I’m happy to report that the P2mk2 drives my Auteur with ease — 60-70 (140 is max) on volume is quite loud. 80 would be close to painful.

I had been driving all my cans (except Utopia) with P2/AlgoRhythm Duet stack when I listened away from my desktop rig.

Got the P2mk2 on the Amazon sale for $899, which is actually less than I paid for my OG P2. Certainly a worthy upgrade if one wants to use full-size cans w/ a DAP. Even drives my HEKv2 quite well — useable volume range for HEK is 70 - 80.

I mean it isn’t gonna drive an Abyss or an HE-6. But it’s quite capable of driving all the cans I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back