ZMF Auteur Thread
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #3,586 of 8,336
I’m a fan of the Cocobolo and black. Then again I am biased as it is my pair :)

52EEE7DE-6EB8-428F-88FA-A5452FA9CC09.jpeg BAF09C29-8699-485C-A162-6EAF477E8915.jpeg A44526D7-6A22-4B36-8261-BEB2DD36F29E.jpeg

Dec 8, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #3,588 of 8,336
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #3,589 of 8,336
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #3,590 of 8,336
I’m a fan of the Cocobolo and black. Then again I am biased as it is my pair :)

Beautiful! I do regret going for a used pair of teak instead of the cocobolo off ZMF´s website. They still sound spectacular with my Headamp GS-X Mini, though...

Dec 9, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #3,591 of 8,336
I think we all can agree that cocobolo is a beautiful wood no matter how it’s accessorized :)

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #3,593 of 8,336
This may have been answered before by does anyone know which headphone does vocal presence better? Aelous or Auteur?
That of course depends upon how you personally define "better". This is also likely dependent on the chain you have (dac-amp -etc).

That being said, Auteur is more upfront with vocals, Aeolus I'd describe as more lush. Aeolus has a dip in the upper mids that some might appreciate, others don't, Auteur is more linear with a sight rise in the upper treble that most like (but I personally find fatiguing).

Hope that helps

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #3,594 of 8,336
That of course depends upon how you personally define "better". This is also likely dependent on the chain you have (dac-amp -etc).

That being said, Auteur is more upfront with vocals, Aeolus I'd describe as more lush. Aeolus has a dip in the upper mids that some might appreciate, others don't, Auteur is more linear with a sight rise in the upper treble that most like (but I personally find fatiguing).

Hope that helps
Yes, thanks Jinxy!

Dec 9, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #3,595 of 8,336
IMG_20190918_005700605.jpg

Hope that helps
That can be tame a bit with pad choice obviously...but also my little trick which I have explained a couple of times on this thread!... Not hard to do and reverisible if you don't like. It improves everything slightly and definetly helps calm some of the upper mid hardness. Which I think may be some what due to litterally reflections off the baffles...like on a loudspeaker. Anyway for your consideration!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #3,597 of 8,336
What moderate priced amp is recommended for the Auteurs and must it be tubed based?

You don’t need a tube based amp, it’s just the Auteurs sound really great out of tube amplifiers. You can always go solid state like the Schiit Hex or move up to something like the Gilmore Lite MK2 or spend big on a more expensive solid state. I’m sure there’s plenty of Head-Fiers on here that can give you advice on a great solid state amp pairing.

*cough* ECP DHSA-3F *cough*

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #3,598 of 8,336
What moderate priced amp is recommended for the Auteurs ... ?
Lots of choices, depending on what you're trying to do with the sound and what you consider 'moderate priced'. I find that Auteur can move around quite a bit with different amps.
...and must it be tubed based?
You've probably started a war with this :)

Some here would claim you just aren't getting the most out of Auteur unless you're using such and such tube amp.

Others feel that Auteur sounds great (or even best) out of a top-end solid state amp.

Still others (me included) feel that Auteur sounds great (almost) regardless of source chain, and that one of its strengths is its ability to synergize with a wide variety of chains.

All that said, here are some (under $1000) SS and hybrid tube amps which at least some posters here have liked with Auteur:

Gilmore Lite Mk II
Liquid Platinum
Liquid Carbon
Liquid Spark (!!!)
MassDrop CTH

All these can be had for under $600 used (under $400 for all except LP). Obviously this list is far from comprehensive -- I'm sure others will chime in with their faves.

Dec 18, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #3,599 of 8,336
...*cough* ECP DHSA-3F *cough*
I didn't mention the DSHA-3F since I'm pretty sure it doesn't meet the 'moderate price' requirement.

'cough" but you're not wrong "cough"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back