ZMF Auteur Thread
Nov 30, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #2,656 of 8,309
Yep, I actually sold my 2.8 to get this version, which also gives you 5-stop IS.

Won’t eggshell cups affect the sound?

The cups had just shrunken along the grain too much to be a-stock, just an aesthetic issue, fortunately we had two cups that did the same thing, so we matched them and made kind of a cool one off silk set. The inner volume doesn't change for sound just the aesthetic.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 30, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,657 of 8,309
I much agree with the recommendation of a GOTL , if tubes ever come into play for you.

I own two amps from Glenn and they both rock!
I may even have a GOTL up for sale before too long.

Selling your GOTL?! Im assuming youre getting another Glenn made amp,or streamlining your collection?

Heads up: The longest Ive seen a GOTL last in the classifieds is less than 24 hours. In my 5 years here on Head-Fi Ive seen 3 Glenn amps for sale,so if Whirlwinds GOTL actually does come up for grabs,act fast.

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,658 of 8,309
Selling your GOTL?! Im assuming youre getting another Glenn made amp,or streamlining your collection?

Heads up: The longest Ive seen a GOTL last in the classifieds is less than 24 hours. In my 5 years here on Head-Fi Ive seen 3 Glenn amps for sale,so if Whirlwinds GOTL actually does come up for grabs,act fast.
I guess @whirlwind should expect PMs even before he puts it up for sale then....

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #2,659 of 8,309
The cups had just shrunken along the grain too much to be a-stock, just an aesthetic issue, fortunately we had two cups that did the same thing, so we matched them and made kind of a cool one off silk set. The inner volume doesn't change for sound just the aesthetic.
Very cool and extra unique!

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #2,660 of 8,309
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 30, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #2,661 of 8,309
Nov 30, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #2,662 of 8,309
Auteur Pheasantwood on the way! ZMF brings out the best of audio addiction! And they happen to be visually addicting!

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #2,663 of 8,309
Well, my Silk, B-Stock, Egg shaped set came in today. These make me feel like I have a tiny head or something...I have the rods all the way in and they fit perfectly...usually on other headphones I need to click out a few notches. They're still very comfortable, although my jaws are hurting a bit from the pads being brand new. It could be that I have to bend the band or something, but for now I'm leaving it as is.

These sound wonderfully balanced throughout the whole frequency range. When a song calls for bass, it's there with weight and precision. The mids are very nice with no glaring issues (unlike my Elears), but I haven't had enough head time to determine if these are better than my 6XX in that department. Treble is nice too, not harsh at all, and very detailed. When people review these, I keep consistently reading how people are pleased with the timbre and tonality...I agree completely.

I wouldn't have been able to even tell these were B-Stock aside from my left cup being noticeably darker than the right. The Egg shape isn't even that noticeable and they're symmetrical. I never thought I'd pay >$1000 for headphones (a limit I set on myself), but man these are worth me going slightly over.

I think these make my other headphones pointless to own...I think I'm in trouble if this time next year Zach puts up some B-Stock Verites :D

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #2,664 of 8,309
Well, my Silk, B-Stock, Egg shaped set came in today. These make me feel like I have a tiny head or something...I have the rods all the way in and they fit perfectly...usually on other headphones I need to click out a few notches. They're still very comfortable, although my jaws are hurting a bit from the pads being brand new. It could be that I have to bend the band or something, but for now I'm leaving it as is.

These sound wonderfully balanced throughout the whole frequency range. When a song calls for bass, it's there with weight and precision. The mids are very nice with no glaring issues (unlike my Elears), but I haven't had enough head time to determine if these are better than my 6XX in that department. Treble is nice too, not harsh at all, and very detailed. When people review these, I keep consistently reading how people are pleased with the timbre and tonality...I agree completely.

I wouldn't have been able to even tell these were B-Stock aside from my left cup being noticeably darker than the right. The Egg shape isn't even that noticeable and they're symmetrical. I never thought I'd pay >$1000 for headphones (a limit I set on myself), but man these are worth me going slightly over.

I think these make my other headphones pointless to own...I think I'm in trouble if this time next year Zach puts up some B-Stock Verites :D

I loved those egg shaped silk auteurs lol

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #2,665 of 8,309

Great impressions, and congrats on your new babies. Which amp and dac are you using to drive them? Why don’t you post some pics so we can all share in some egg shaped love :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #2,666 of 8,309
Great impressions, and congrats on your new babies. Which amp and dac are you using to drive them? Why don’t you post some pics so we can all share in some egg shaped love :)
I'm using a Bifrost Multibit Gen 5 into a Jotunheim with mostly FLAC and some VBR mp3s (I had to use up my Amazon Digital credits :D).

As for pics, well, I was going to just snap some pics with my phone, but these are so beautiful to look at that I figure I'd setup my DSLR instead. Hopefully this weekend!

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #2,667 of 8,309
I'm considering getting a pair of Auteurs...does anyone have experience pairing them with a Bottlehead Crack (+ Speedball)?

Not sure if you received a response on this, so I'll weigh in. I've got both a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball and a Bottlehead Mainline. I just acquired a pair of Auteurs and have been giving them a critical listen on both amps.

Surprisingly, on the Mainline, I feel they could stand to be a bit more forward sounding. I'm using the Auteur pads (I think) and have tried a couple of cables, including the standard ZMF balanced and a C3 UPOCC. To my ears, the C3 sounds better than the ZMF. To tweak things a bit, I will probably get a cable with some silver content.

The Crack, quite frankly, blew me away. The Auteurs are a good match from an impedance and sensitivity standpoint (300 ohms, 97 dB/mW; the same as Sennheiser HD600/650). The musical presentation via this pairing is nothing short of magical. Acoustic bass, piano, sax and female vocals sound as though you are there; palpable, unsmeared, real. I'm going to spend more time with this combo, with different genres of music, but I think I will be listening to this pair much more.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Joe.

Dec 7, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #2,668 of 8,309
Not sure if you received a response on this, so I'll weigh in. I've got both a Bottlehead Crack/Speedball and a Bottlehead Mainline. I just acquired a pair of Auteurs and have been giving them a critical listen on both amps.

Surprisingly, on the Mainline, I feel they could stand to be a bit more forward sounding. I'm using the Auteur pads (I think) and have tried a couple of cables, including the standard ZMF balanced and a C3 UPOCC. To my ears, the C3 sounds better than the ZMF. To tweak things a bit, I will probably get a cable with some silver content.

The Crack, quite frankly, blew me away. The Auteurs are a good match from an impedance and sensitivity standpoint (300 ohms, 97 dB/mW; the same as Sennheiser HD600/650). The musical presentation via this pairing is nothing short of magical. Acoustic bass, piano, sax and female vocals sound as though you are there; palpable, unsmeared, real. I'm going to spend more time with this combo, with different genres of music, but I think I will be listening to this pair much more.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Joe.
@JTori I like my Blackwood Auteur (Auteur pads) with my Silver Dragon cable, especially now, out of LP. Better than w/ ZMF OCC copper or Black Dragon. JMHO of course :)

Dec 7, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #2,669 of 8,309
@JTori I like my Blackwood Auteur (Auteur pads) with my Silver Dragon cable, especially now, out of LP. Better than w/ ZMF OCC copper or Black Dragon. JMHO of course :)
Next week I will get my Auteur pheasantwood. Along with discovering it I look forward to figuring out if I prefer silver dragon or copper Volsund norne cable.

Dec 7, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #2,670 of 8,309
Next week I will get my Auteur pheasantwood. Along with discovering it I look forward to figuring out if I prefer silver dragon or copper Volsund norne cable.
For me: The volsund works well with the auteur as they are singing from the same hymn sheet.

I did enjoy the silver draug too but I’ve been too lazy or not compelled enough to switch back to it since putting the volsund on. I shall though

The silver draug has no element of a dry or sterile sound that some silver cables can have. And there is the new less gauge new version too that norne just put in their site

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back