ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #2,506 of 8,322
Do you miss the eikon bass at all when using auteurs?

Not really. Honestly imo, if you are driving them well with a good source, there isnt much to miss. The Eikon do have slightly more bass on the whole, but the Auteur are by no means a bass light can. What you lose in quantity, you make up for in quality. The Bass on the Auteur is slightly tighter and to my ear sounds more controlled. It's very rare for me to go "gee I wish these had more bass" Pretty much the only times that happens is when the recording I am listening to has a master that is light on the bass to start with and you can't hold that against any headphone.

Long story short, nope, the bass on the Auteur is amazing in its own right.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #2,507 of 8,322
Not really. Honestly imo, if you are driving them well with a good source, there isnt much to miss. The Eikon do have slightly more bass on the whole, but the Auteur are by no means a bass light can. What you lose in quantity, you make up for in quality. The Bass on the Auteur is slightly tighter and to my ear sounds more controlled. It's very rare for me to go "gee I wish these had more bass" Pretty much the only times that happens is when the recording I am listening to has a master that is light on the bass to start with and you can't hold that against any headphone.

I think you are totally right. On my current rig the Auteur bass seems punchy, detailed and very well balanced with the rest of the sound signature. Those times I just want pure fun and insane levels of bass I put on my atticus. Its a great combination! :D

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #2,508 of 8,322
Not me, Got a Pad Eikon and as well as a Blackwood Auteur and a Cocobolo Auteur and I much prefer the Auteurs. I love the Eikon, but unless I need the sound isolation it offers, I don't use it all that much anymore.

How do you find the Blackwood vs. the Cocobolo Auteur?

Oct 12, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #2,509 of 8,322

I echo these thoughts. Haven't heard the Eikon, but with my Glenn OTL+Auteur, the sub bass rumble is so good that sometimes it feels like the headphones are going to rumble right off my head. The bass is always punchy, tight and controlled. As Daemon mentioned, if the recording has light bass, you likely will feel like there is not enough, but if its well produced and recorded, I wouldn't say its lacking in any way.

Oct 12, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #2,510 of 8,322
How do you find the Blackwood vs. the Cocobolo Auteur?

I'm planning on doing a full write-up at a later point once I know for sure the Cocobolo is totally broken in, from my experience with the Eikon and blackwoods these drivers don't fully stabilize until about 250ish hours of use, and I want to do as close to an apples to apple comparison as possible.

That being said, as of right now, I find the Blackwoods to be a slightly sweeter more musical sound, whereas the Cocobolo has a bit more punch and overall crisper sound. Nothing sounds bad on either, but my personal preferences currently have me leaning toward liking the Cocobolo more.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #2,511 of 8,322
Look forward to hearing the Verite, but still enjoying the Auteur in the meantime.

CcGrPZP.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #2,514 of 8,322

Listening to my Blackwood Auteur's on a Liquid Spark and it's a damn impressive combo. It feels kinda strange using a tiny $99 amp with the Auteur's, but the only thing that really matters is the end result. And this one is a winner.

Oct 18, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #2,515 of 8,322
Can anyone do a comparison between the Auteur and the LCD-2C?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #2,516 of 8,322

My impressions: Much comfort issues with the LCD2C. Bass was wildly dependant on seal, which was problematic. Small funky mid FR issue made them seem slightly hollow on some songs.

The Auteur was better.

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #2,517 of 8,322
My impressions: Much comfort issues with the LCD2C. Bass was wildly dependant on seal, which was problematic. Small funky mid FR issue made them seem slightly hollow on some songs.

The Auteur was better.

Thanks ProfFalkin,
Do you think that the Auteur would actually be a good compliment to the LCD-2C, or are they too similar to one another to justify owning both?

Oct 18, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #2,518 of 8,322
Thanks ProfFalkin,
Do you think that the Auteur would actually be a good compliment to the LCD-2C, or are they too similar to one another to justify owning both?
They are similar-ish, kind of. Different enough I would pick one over the other, but similar enough I don't think I'd ever switch between the two for a different flavor. Especially when it comes to the mids. The Auteur does it right, and when comparing the two, you can't 'un-hear' the wonkyness in the audeze.

I swap between my Auteur and Eikon depending on what I want that day/hour/whatever. Sometimes I go back to the HD650 for comparisons on other things.

Oct 18, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #2,519 of 8,322

I have both and enjoy both, but honestly the LCD-2C just isn’t in the same league as the Auteur.

While the LCD-2C with the original vegan (suede) pads is good on its own, it just doesn’t get as many things right to me as the Auteur.

They are both heavier headphones, but the Auteur is a lot more comfortable.

LCD-2C has a narrower sound stage and doesn’t layer the music as well as the Auteur.

They both have great bass (not bass cannons)
Mids and Treble are definitely better on Auteur to my ears.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #2,520 of 8,322
I have both and enjoy both, but honestly the LCD-2C just isn’t in the same league as the Auteur.

While the LCD-2C with the original vegan (suede) pads is good on its own, it just doesn’t get as many things right to me as the Auteur.

They are both heavier headphones, but the Auteur is a lot more comfortable.

LCD-2C has a narrower sound stage and doesn’t layer the music as well as the Auteur.

They both have great bass (not bass cannons)
Mids and Treble are definitely better on Auteur to my ears.

It sounds to me like the Classics are akin to a boston cream doughnut while the Auteur is like some sort of spicy and sweet type of doughnut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back