ZMF Auteur Thread
Oct 10, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #2,491 of 8,282
Quick question to those that own or have tried - how do you find the OFC cable with the Auteur? Does it complement it or do you prefer a more open / brighter cable with the Auteur (e.g., silver / SPC)? My understanding is that the OFC is quite dark?
I have several different cables which I use with Auteur.

Desktop is either a Silver or Black Dragon. Portable is either ZMF OCC or Lavricables pure silver. Note that the OCC cable is different than the OFC cable he offers. Visually, it looks like this one:

IMG_7569[1].jpg

from this ZMF product page:

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/atmos

Honestly, I don't hear that much difference -- changing portable sources (Cowon Plenue 2 vs Opus #2) is a bigger change. Swapping pads (Auteur perf vs Eikon perf) is a bigger change.

As was pointed out to me in a different cable discussion, cables are passive devices. This means that they can only filter the signal. So when someone says the OFC is 'quite dark' they're really saying that the OFC cable attenuates the high frequency component of the signal significantly.

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #2,492 of 8,282
I have several different cables which I use with Auteur.

Desktop is either a Silver or Black Dragon. Portable is either ZMF OCC or Lavricables pure silver. Note that the OCC cable is different than the OFC cable he offers. Visually, it looks like this one:

from this ZMF product page:

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-cables/atmos

Honestly, I don't hear that much difference -- changing portable sources (Cowon Plenue 2 vs Opus #2) is a bigger change. Swapping pads (Auteur perf vs Eikon perf) is a bigger change.

As was pointed out to me in a different cable discussion, cables are passive devices. This means that they can only filter the signal. So when someone says the OFC is 'quite dark' they're really saying that the OFC cable attenuates the high frequency component of the signal significantly.
Correct. A cable is mainly characterised by two parameters, attenuation and signal phase. Both of those parameters depend on the specific frequency (Hz) band of interest (in our case the audio spectrum 20Hz-20KHz).

In my case I do hear a bit of attenuation with the stock vs 2K cable. Things that should be there get in the background and become less apparent. With the 2K cable more musical information passes through for my brain to process :)

Oct 10, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #2,493 of 8,282
Quick question to those that own or have tried - how do you find the OFC cable with the Auteur? Does it complement it or do you prefer a more open / brighter cable with the Auteur (e.g., silver / SPC)? My understanding is that the OFC is quite dark?

I use the ZMF Auteur 2k cable. Sounds great with the my ash Auteur. It's an OCC cable so not as dark as OFC but not as bright as silver.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #2,494 of 8,282
A couple of Auteur cameos in my shots for this month’s reviews of the Liquid Spark and Liquid Platinum. I love any chance to show these!

Your post made me go across town to retrieve my Crimson, as I never tried it with my Auteurs. Wowow! What a combination!
I wonder how much of an improvement the Platinum is over the Crimson?

9938845_l.jpg

Oct 11, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #2,495 of 8,282
Your post made me go across town to retrieve my Crimson, as I never tried it with my Auteurs. Wowow! What a combination!

9938845_l.jpg

The Crimson is a little bit better overall. It has a little more class-A bias, about a third more power, a better power supply and more through-hole components. All that being said, the Platinum definitely has some sonic similarities to the Crimson and for a fraction of the price, it gets pretty darn close. I reviewed it here: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...iquid_Platinum_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #2,496 of 8,282

9938845_l.jpg
Nice! How does it compare to your R-28, and what do you think of the R-28/Auteur combo in general?

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #2,497 of 8,282
Nice! How does it compare to your R-28, and what do you think of the R-28/Auteur combo in general?

The R28 amp has good synergy with the Auteur. The Crimson adds a more lifelike presentation and dynamic impact. The difference is noticeable for sure, but I wouldn't call the built-in amp a slouch either! I think the Auteur just likes tubes in general, even if it's in a hybrid like the Crimson. (using NOS mode 1 on the R28 currently)

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #2,498 of 8,282
I’m also enjoying the Auteur (Teak) with the R28, currently in NOS3 mode. I changed from the stock perf Auteur to the perf Eikon pads and noted a positive (to my ears) improvement, specifically around body and texture - female voices and wood instruments in particular.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #2,499 of 8,282
We can fix you up pretty easily. Getting to emails very shortly!
Still waiting for a resolution at this point, Zach if you can reply to my follow up email please!

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #2,500 of 8,282
Really love my teak auteur... it has a great balanced sound between the airy 800S and the dark and imposing Atticus. But I wonder about the Eikon and its mid and treble clarity while still having crushing bass.

Anyone here prefer eikon over auteur?

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #2,501 of 8,282
Really love my teak auteur... it has a great balanced sound between the airy 800S and the dark and imposing Atticus. But I wonder about the Eikon and its mid and treble clarity while still having crushing bass.

Not me, Got a Pad Eikon and as well as a Blackwood Auteur and a Cocobolo Auteur and I much prefer the Auteurs. I love the Eikon, but unless I need the sound isolation it offers, I don't use it all that much anymore.

Oct 11, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #2,502 of 8,282
Still waiting for a resolution at this point, Zach if you can reply to my follow up email please!

I am in the middle of an email binge trying to get caught up. If you haven't gotten an email from me re-send it pls? Anyone else who I may have missed emails from please re-send!

Did you ever try the solid auteur pads? That will have pretty crazy bass on the auteur. Not like the Eikon but still a lot of bass.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 11, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #2,503 of 8,282
I am in the middle of an email binge trying to get caught up. If you haven't gotten an email from me re-send it pls? Anyone else who I may have missed emails from please re-send!

Thanks! Got a response back from you and replied accordingly, if you can send me that video on the DIY fix I can decide pretty quickly if I'm up for the job or not! :joy:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #2,504 of 8,282
Not me, Got a Pad Eikon and as well as a Blackwood Auteur and a Cocobolo Auteur and I much prefer the Auteurs. I love the Eikon, but unless I need the sound isolation it offers, I don't use it all that much anymore.

Do you miss the eikon bass at all when using auteurs?

Did you ever try the solid auteur pads? That will have pretty crazy bass on the auteur. Not like the Eikon but still a lot of bass.

Thats a great idea Zach. Might grab a pair of auteur suede pads from you.

Oct 11, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #2,505 of 8,282

Easily no - not for me as:

The mids of the auteur are really well balanced especially coming in from below and exiting into the treble. That’s why I’m such a big fan. A neutralish sound but with the zmf flavour.

For me. Ymmv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back