1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ZMF Auteur Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by PacoTaco, Oct 15, 2017.
First

Back
160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169
171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180
Next

Last
  1. LCMusicLover
    Interesting. Your Silkwood:

4F36F0BB-97CB-4E5C-9BB3-23A0BDE66E12.jpeg

is quite different from the Verite Silkwood pics:

878F898B-8F73-4928-A1B7-0C3BBD6F891E.jpeg

Different wood/same name? Or that much variability?

2. Fatdoi
    Straight out of the box..... almost everything is ok but the treble region bit harsh so now back into the box for 200+ hours burn......

3. Fatdoi
    Different stain??

Seems now we have the opposite... yours blackwood to my beige one.....

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  4. Fetou
    The Verite is using oxidized silkwood. My understanding is that this means the aging of the wood has been accelerated through some process. I guess the silk Auteurs may eventually darken over time?

5. SilverEars
    When going with the open design with the Auteur, was it for reducing wood cup resonance?

6. ProfFalkin
    You put acetic acid on the wood to "age" it. Then you neutralize it, wash it clean, and put a finish on it.

jinxy245 likes this.
  7. felix3650
    The resonance is still there athough in less quantity. The wood resonates even if it is a small stripe. It's what it reflects back that counts the most.
    What opening the cup does is reduce sound reflections from the backside of the driver, letting the driver move more freely and with less distortions.
    Like breathing with your mouth 90% closed and then completely open. We don't build completely open headphones as some of those reflections are useful for "tuning" the produced sound.
    I hope I was helpful :)

Wes S and Pink Freud like this.
  8. Maalis
    IMG_2392.JPG I've been immersed in 50s ja 60s jazz (just Davis and Coltrane at this point but I aim to explore further) with my Auteur for the past week or so, can't remember being this excited with new music in a while :)

9. phthora
    I've already planned my first listen with the Auteur when it arrives. It just has to be Mingus. :sunglasses:

Wildcatsare1 and zach915m like this.
  10. tinger1
    Ahhh... jazz!
    I listened the following with the teak Auteur /300b amp this weekend and it was superb.
    Any combo that produces high trumpet notes without percing my eardrums and a non fat bass is magic in my book. I'm still learning in regards to how/what to listen for, but the sound of a drum set has a very 3d effect I can hear and feel (not subwoofer feeling- I guess texture is a better description). You have to really go to a small jazz club to know what I'm talking about.

Going back to music, the following standards is a must
    The 3 tenor kings:
    Ben Webster's 'Danny boy'
    Dexter gorden's 'Ode to Billy joe'- bad recording
    Lester youngs' I guess I have to change my plans'
    Cannonball Adderley's 'Mercy, mercy, mercy' live version
    Art Blakley's 'Moanin' with Lee morgan

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    Maalis and Gibson59 like this.
  11. Gibson59
    Great taste in jazz! Reading your post inspired me to put on Ben Webster’s “Soulville” album, which is one of my favorites.

12. DeepSouth
    Does the auteur require an amp or can a dap like a&k sp1000 power it?

13. ProfFalkin
    You can listen to it from a DAP, sure. They are 300ohm cans, but are still pretty efficient. I drove my Eikons from a Pixel 2 for a few days out of necessity, and it wasn't a completely horrible experience (wasn't good either, as that Google supplied dongle sucks).

Now, with that said... I am not sure I would recommend a DAP as a permanent setup. I think they need a decent amp to sound their best.

Wes S likes this.
  14. Hansotek
    SP1000 will power pretty much anything beautifully, and the Auteur is not hard to drive at all.

15. LCMusicLover
    I don't disagree with Prof -- they definitely sound better via my desktop rig -- but...

I think the SP1000 should have enough power for the Auteur. I have both a Cowon Plenue 2 and an Opus #2. They have about the same power, and similar power both SE and Balanced. The SP1000 has the about same or more power SE (2.2Vrms for SP1000, 2.3Vrms for Opus#2, 2.0Vrms for Plenue2), and a lot more via its balanced output (3.9Vrms for SP1000, 2.5Vrms for Opus#2, 2.0Vrms for Plenue 2).

I find that both the Cowon and Opus have enough power to drive the Auteur. Since the SP1000 has significantly more power (in Balanced mode) it should have plenty of guts to drive Auteur. The Cowon doesn't have a lot of headroom (I play it at about 90-100 of 140) while the Opus#2 has a bit more (80-90/150). SP1000 should have significantly more headroom.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
First

Back
160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169
171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180
Next

Last