ZMF Atrium Closed
May 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,036 of 3,270
Absolutely gorgeous, congrats!
Do you think the pairing with the HA-3A would be too warm from an "objective" standpoint?
Thanks!

I think it’s a very good pairing. HA-3A is not an overly warm amp, it’s clean and rather detailed. For me it’s more of a having a much better amp situation. Bliss is different price class with much better characteristics, so it’s unfair to compare both. But switching back and forth, it feels like HA-3A adds a tad bit too much warmth and the bass bloats a bit too. I tried some rather neutral sounding tubes, it’s still a far cry from Bliss balance and control for me.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #1,037 of 3,270
1684332037713(1).jpeg

IMG_3656.jpg

Got only a smartphone cam atm, so the pics dont really dont do them justice to be fairly honest. The purple tone is bit stronger irl and the whole design feels very alien and organic in the same time. The red part on right can reminds me of old 90s music clips where the effect of burned video tape was used often, like in many Nine Inch Nails clips..
Very happy with the unit, incredible amount of detail there. The only thing every potential stabilized buyer should be aware off: the surface finish is not perfect, as you might be used from "normal" releases, there are little imperfections in the stabilized surface, like small dents,. Which is totally alright for me=)

Could test the cans meanwhile with HA-3A with different tubes against Bliss. While HA-3A can sound more spacious in some songs on HA-3A, I generally prefer Bliss by far. After experiencing its bass control, clarity, layering and imaging its difficult to go back to HA-3A. While HA-3A, is pretty great amp, compared to Bliss the bass is bit bloated and less focused, and the detail retrieval is just not the same, probably due it its warmth that HA-3A adds, will roll few more tubes. Reading all the praise of Euforia EVO regrettin somewhat selling it back in the day, wonder how it would have performed against Bliss. Right now Bliss feels like the perfect pairing that gives AC exactly what it needs: excellent Bass control and fantastic detail. I am still amazed how detailed the headphone sounds. Even after listening to it right after detail monster Caldera, I cant say that the detail loss is that huge.
Funny you mention NIN. These look like the NIN + Richard Prince Downward spiral cover art collab.

May 19, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,038 of 3,270
Funny you mention NIN. These look like the NIN + Richard Prince Downward spiral cover art collab.
That was exactly one of the reasons why I instantly went all in for this stab version haha

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,039 of 3,270
1684332037713(1).jpeg

IMG_3656.jpg

Got only a smartphone cam atm, so the pics dont really dont do them justice to be fairly honest. The purple tone is bit stronger irl and the whole design feels very alien and organic in the same time. The red part on right can reminds me of old 90s music clips where the effect of burned video tape was used often, like in many Nine Inch Nails clips..
Very happy with the unit, incredible amount of detail there. The only thing every potential stabilized buyer should be aware off: the surface finish is not perfect, as you might be used from "normal" releases, there are little imperfections in the stabilized surface, like small dents,. Which is totally alright for me=)

Could test the cans meanwhile with HA-3A with different tubes against Bliss. While HA-3A can sound more spacious in some songs on HA-3A, I generally prefer Bliss by far. After experiencing its bass control, clarity, layering and imaging its difficult to go back to HA-3A. While HA-3A, is pretty great amp, compared to Bliss the bass is bit bloated and less focused, and the detail retrieval is just not the same, probably due it its warmth that HA-3A adds, will roll few more tubes. Reading all the praise of Euforia EVO regrettin somewhat selling it back in the day, wonder how it would have performed against Bliss. Right now Bliss feels like the perfect pairing that gives AC exactly what it needs: excellent Bass control and fantastic detail. I am still amazed how detailed the headphone sounds. Even after listening to it right after detail monster Caldera, I cant say that the detail loss is that huge.

This is ridiculously beautiful. The best so far for AC I ever seen here. Congrats!

May 19, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #1,040 of 3,270
May 19, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #1,041 of 3,270
The only thing every potential stabilized buyer should be aware off: the surface finish is not perfect, as you might be used from "normal" releases, there are little imperfections in the stabilized surface, like small dents,. Which is totally alright for me=)
I think I might have answered your question on the YouTube channel but I will paste the response here too since it might be helpful for anyone who buys our headphones, and I would add that, we are going to showcase the actual wood that we cut with the headphone, we do not use plastic or poly covering like other "wood" headphones to make them look like plastic and without wood texture. I have spent years perfecting how I want the headphones to be finished, and I personally finish all the stabilized myself. The stabilized wood we use is personally harvested by a couple owned business where the owner goes into the woods and cuts the burl himself, and then does the entire drying process, stabilized process and resin process with his wife. The last thing I want to do is cover up the feel so much with epoxy or poly over the wood that you can't tell it was a living thing harvested by hand so I chose this route which is why our headphones are so unique and feel the way they do. Because of this, some pieces will have texture, and some will be smoother. This goes for resin, LTD and stock woods as they are all cut from solid wood and will all differ by unit.

As you know we cater to the needs of our owners, and the best thing to do is to leave a note, email us, or talk to your dealer about particular needs or expectations so we can let you know what to expect and how we do things before you get the headphone, so expectations are transparent on both sides.

Heres the response I posted over on YouTube which explains it as well.

Stabilization of the wood doesn't change the character of the wood so oak and other burl woods will still have the natural texture of the wood and burl/figure which we don't want to hide as part of what we do is try to honor the natural feel of the wood and its beauty, so we don't finish in a way that takes away thay character. The resin can also have small dots as our local supplier we work with mixes in different colors and textures into the resin. Please rest assured that nothing leaves our shop without being looked at by three to four people who all do different aesthetic quality controls at different stages of the build before it leaves to make sure everything is correct within our process. We hope you love the headphones and thank you for trying them!

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 19, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #1,042 of 3,270
I think I might have answered your question on the YouTube channel but I will paste the response here too since it might be helpful for anyone who buys our headphones, and I would add that, we are going to showcase the actual wood that we cut with the headphone, we do not use plastic or poly covering like other "wood" headphones to make them look like plastic and without wood texture. I have spent years perfecting how I want the headphones to be finished, and I personally finish all the stabilized myself. The stabilized wood we use is personally harvested by a couple owned business where the owner goes into the woods and cuts the burl himself, and then does the entire drying process, stabilized process and resin process with his wife. The last thing I want to do is cover up the feel so much with epoxy or poly over the wood that you can't tell it was a living thing harvested by hand so I chose this route which is why our headphones are so unique and feel the way they do. Because of this, some pieces will have texture, and some will be smoother. This goes for resin, LTD and stock woods as they are all cut from solid wood and will all differ by unit.

As you know we cater to the needs of our owners, and the best thing to do is to leave a note, email us, or talk to your dealer about particular needs or expectations so we can let you know what to expect and how we do things before you get the headphone, so expectations are transparent on both sides.

Heres the response I posted over on YouTube which explains it as well.

Stabilization of the wood doesn't change the character of the wood so oak and other burl woods will still have the natural texture of the wood and burl/figure which we don't want to hide as part of what we do is try to honor the natural feel of the wood and its beauty, so we don't finish in a way that takes away thay character. The resin can also have small dots as our local supplier we work with mixes in different colors and textures into the resin. Please rest assured that nothing leaves our shop without being looked at by three to four people who all do different aesthetic quality controls at different stages of the build before it leaves to make sure everything is correct within our process. We hope you love the headphones and thank you for trying them!

Dont think so bud, I have only mentioned it here.

Makes sense, I noticed similar irregularty with the finish of other resin made artisan products, guess its name of the game and cant be fully avoided. I am not worried much about it, just thought it was worth mentioning. The headphone is an absolute beauty, happy to own it. Thanks for your work!

May 19, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,043 of 3,270
My Olivewood AC, Schiit Jotunheim and Feliks Euforia Evo
IMG_0676.jpg

May 19, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #1,045 of 3,270
1684332037713(1).jpeg

IMG_3656.jpg

WOW. WOW. WOW.

Thanks for sharing, those are spectacular.

Agreed with your connotation- it definitely is reminiscent of film burning in a projector, super cool.

Regarding sound- was hypnotized by listening to new albums (Phoenix, boygenius, The National, Everything But the Girl and more) last night and the Eikon had me pinned to my recliner for a couple of hours.

I’ll be shocked if I don’t ADORE the AC the first time I hear it powered by my OTL amp.

May 19, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #1,046 of 3,270
Oh my this wait is painful. :sweat_smile:

May 19, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #1,048 of 3,270
scratched from use
That should be an advert for Schiit. Wouldn't be the first time an audio manufacturer showed off a display of robustness...

UUvmXPJVO36U5P8KjvloIXOh1GVaKfBXcL9ckHRp-Ok.jpg

All jokes aside, that's pretty badass. The fact that their XLR jack is metallic and not plastic shows that Schiit doesn't cut corners where it counts. :wink:

May 19, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #1,049 of 3,270
That should be an advert for Schiit. Wouldn't be the first time an audio manufacturer showed off a display of robustness...

UUvmXPJVO36U5P8KjvloIXOh1GVaKfBXcL9ckHRp-Ok.jpg

All jokes aside, that's pretty badass. The fact that their XLR jack is metallic and not plastic shows that Schiit doesn't cut corners where it counts. :wink:
That's a killer ad. I've not seen that before. The 2270 is legendary and will set you back 4 digits these days. They sure don't build em like that anymore.

May 19, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #1,050 of 3,270

Schiit should team up with Frank's RedHot Sauce with this ad campaign: "I play that Schiit on everything" :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back