ZMF Atrium Closed
May 18, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #1,021 of 3,217
Maple Burl Stabilized :)

There was a limited drop for german ZMF vendor for the High End fair in Munich this week, was lucky enough to get one.
Well then- photos pleeeeease! 😁😂

May 18, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #1,022 of 3,217
Feels like I'm being trolled. Just received an email from ZMF and in the preview saw the words AC. Rushed to open the email to find that its a marketing email about the AC :sweat_smile:
[Changing phone apps to check my email]

May 18, 2023 at 11:37 PM Post #1,023 of 3,217
I just bought an Olivewood AC and an Evo and they sound....about how you would expect. The Evo should be the best tube amp, if not the best amp period, on the planet for most ZMFs because it is "end game" OTL. The Envy is a transformer coupled tube amp, which is great for Planars, but the transformer does nothing for high impedance dynamic driver headphones, besides reduce the benefit of tubes.
I have a pair of Caldera at home paired with a SS amp, but my EVO should be arriving at my door today.
I've heard many times that planar HP and OTL amp are not the best match, so looking forward, I'm considering a high impedance dynamic headphones.
Atrium Closed is high on my list at the moment.....

May 19, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,024 of 3,217
I just bought an Olivewood AC and an Evo and they sound....about how you would expect. The Evo should be the best tube amp, if not the best amp period, on the planet for most ZMFs because it is "end game" OTL. The Envy is a transformer coupled tube amp, which is great for Planars, but the transformer does nothing for high impedance dynamic driver headphones, besides reduce the benefit of tubes.
I've not heard the Evo but I can't imagine anything better than the Envy with all my ZMFs. My customized & modified GlennOTL also sounds wonderful and different, but 90% of the time regardless of tubes, things just sound better on the Envy, though it's closest between the 2 amps with the Atrium Open, so might be the same with the Closed.

May 19, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #1,025 of 3,217
I've heard many times that planar HP and OTL amp are not the best match

True in theory. But in practice the only way to know is to stick it in and find out if sometimes it works depending on the headphone and amps in specific.

May 19, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #1,026 of 3,217
True in theory. But in practice the only way to know is to stick it in and find out if sometimes it works depending on the headphone and amps in specific.
Yes, I agree.
People have specifically commented the EVO + Caldera paring to be less than optimum.....so that doesn't really encourage me.

However, I just received notification that my EVO has arrived at my home now. I can test this pairing out myself over the weekend. :L3000:

May 19, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #1,027 of 3,217
So I did a thing and snatched the Queensland Maple AC to this side of the pond. Love the looks and sound, but still in the process of getting my ears burned in.

That said, which B.B.B. Strap should I get for it? I have the black strap on my Olive VC which I could use on AC and order an Olive strap for VC, or would something else, like Plum, work as well?

IMG_8596.jpeg

May 19, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #1,028 of 3,217
I've not heard the Evo but I can't imagine anything better than the Envy with all my ZMFs. My customized & modified GlennOTL also sounds wonderful and different, but 90% of the time regardless of tubes, things just sound better on the Envy, though it's closest between the 2 amps with the Atrium Open, so might be the same with the Closed.
The Envy is just in another universe, given the price. In theory OTL amps (especially Evo or Decware) should should better on most things with ZMFs (not the Caldera) than a transformer coupled tube amp. But when you are talking about spending nearly $10,000 for the amp, all bets are off.

May 19, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #1,029 of 3,217
Ok guys, I’m try this whole new manifesting thing and really put my all into it in hopes my AC will ship today 😂
Update: Manifesting did not work :joy:. The wait continues :)

May 19, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,030 of 3,217
Update: Manifesting did not work :joy:. The wait continues :)
I emailed ZMF Support Staff yesterday worrying that the package may come when i am on vacation. The order was taken at 11:10 AM on 4/28/23 for LTD Olive wood and this is what they said.

"Our current shipping estimate for the Olivewood Atrium Closed sets is 5-10 weeks from when the order was placed. On the later end of the estimate, this would put your order arriving between mid-late June. We hope to have as many done sooner as we can".

May 19, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #1,031 of 3,217
Well then- photos pleeeeease! 😁😂

1684332037713(1).jpeg

IMG_3656.jpg

Got only a smartphone cam atm, so the pics dont really dont do them justice to be fairly honest. The purple tone is bit stronger irl and the whole design feels very alien and organic in the same time. The red part on right can reminds me of old 90s music clips where the effect of burned video tape was used often, like in many Nine Inch Nails clips..
Very happy with the unit, incredible amount of detail there. The only thing every potential stabilized buyer should be aware off: the surface finish is not perfect, as you might be used from "normal" releases, there are little imperfections in the stabilized surface, like small dents,. Which is totally alright for me=)

Could test the cans meanwhile with HA-3A with different tubes against Bliss. While HA-3A can sound more spacious in some songs on HA-3A, I generally prefer Bliss by far. After experiencing its bass control, clarity, layering and imaging its difficult to go back to HA-3A. While HA-3A, is pretty great amp, compared to Bliss the bass is bit bloated and less focused, and the detail retrieval is just not the same, probably due it its warmth that HA-3A adds, will roll few more tubes. Reading all the praise of Euforia EVO regrettin somewhat selling it back in the day, wonder how it would have performed against Bliss. Right now Bliss feels like the perfect pairing that gives AC exactly what it needs: excellent Bass control and fantastic detail. I am still amazed how detailed the headphone sounds. Even after listening to it right after detail monster Caldera, I cant say that the detail loss is that huge.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,032 of 3,217
I emailed ZMF Support Staff yesterday worrying that the package may come when i am on vacation. The order was taken at 11:10 AM on 4/28/23 for LTD Olive wood and this is what they said.

"Our current shipping estimate for the Olivewood Atrium Closed sets is 5-10 weeks from when the order was placed. On the later end of the estimate, this would put your order arriving between mid-late June. We hope to have as many done sooner as we can".
That'll be the standard reply since their estimated wait times are always 5-10 weeks. Zach indicated last week that he's confident the vast majority (if not all) the initial AC orders will be out well prior to the max 10 weeks. Regardless, though, it's better to aim for mid-June and be pleasantly surprised if/when it gets shipped sooner :)

May 19, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,033 of 3,217
1684332037713(1).jpeg

IMG_3656.jpg

Got only a smartphone cam atm, so the pics dont really dont do them justice to be fairly honest. The purple tone is bit stronger irl and the whole design feels very alien and organic in the same time. The red part on right can reminds me of old 90s music clips where the effect of burned video tape was used often, like in many Nine Inch Nails clips..
Very happy with the unit, incredible amount of detail there. The only thing every potential stabilized buyer should be aware off: the surface finish is not perfect, as you might be used from "normal" releases, there are little imperfections in the stabilized surface, like small dents,. Which is totally alright for me=)

Could test the cans meanwhile with HA-3A with different tubes against Bliss. While HA-3A can sound more spacious in some songs on HA-3A, I generally prefer Bliss by far. After experiencing its bass control, clarity, layering and imaging its difficult to go back to HA-3A. While HA-3A, is pretty great amp, compared to Bliss the bass is bit bloated and less focused, and the detail retrieval is just not the same, probably due it its warmth that HA-3A adds, will roll few more tubes. Reading all the praise of Euforia EVO regrettin somewhat selling it back in the day, wonder how it would have performed against Bliss. Right now Bliss feels like the perfect pairing that gives AC exactly what it needs: excellent Bass control and fantastic detail. I am still amazed how detailed the headphone sounds. Even after listening to it right after detail monster Caldera, I cant say that the detail loss is that huge.

Those look insanely good. Pairs well with your Caldera too!

May 19, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,034 of 3,217
Yeah they look very unique and I love just watching the detail in the sun (instead of working) while I use the Caldera haha. Zach and the team have outdone themselves with this unit.

May 19, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #1,035 of 3,217
1684332037713(1).jpeg

IMG_3656.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous, congrats!
Do you think the pairing with the HA-3A would be too warm from an "objective" standpoint?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back