ZMF Atrium Closed
May 20, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #1,051 of 3,270
That's a killer ad. I've not seen that before. The 2270 is legendary and will set you back 4 digits these days. They sure don't build em like that anymore.
I have a 2275 being refurbished right now that I've had for a number of years that I got from the original owners daughter. Pretty excited, the power receivers from that day sound awesome.

Anyways, we are working very hard on Olive wood right now, the hope is to have many shipped this week, we are cleaning up the olive as much as we can as the figured Olive wood is very temperamental.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 20, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #1,052 of 3,270
I have a 2275 being refurbished right now that I've had for a number of years that I got from the original owners daughter. Pretty excited, the power receivers from that day sound awesome.
Hmm... I think I may have asked you about that very same one in your first office... : )

The 2275 is an absolute unit. You'll love it even more after it's refurbished.

Please share a glamour shot with us after!

we are cleaning up the olive as much as we can as the figured Olive wood is very temperamental.
I can only imagine that being a real trick to work with... are you having to fill in some spots on some cups?

May 20, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #1,053 of 3,270
Hmm... I think I may have asked you about that very same one in your first office... : )

The 2275 is an absolute unit. You'll love it even more after it's refurbished.

Please share a glamour shot with us after!

I can only imagine that being a real trick to work with... are you having to fill in some spots on some cups?
Will do!

If the spots are small and natural we fill them, otherwise I have a bin in the side of our sanding room which is the "let's figure out later what we want to do with this stuff" bin!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
May 20, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #1,054 of 3,270
The dynamic virtuoso

IMG_0838.jpeg

May 20, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,055 of 3,270
The Marantz 2xxx and 2xxxB series of receivers are amongst the most coveted (and expensive) receivers from the seventies.

Your 2275 was 2nd from the TOTL Marantz from that era, being topped only by the 2285. The 2xxx and 2xxxB series had the wattage listed in the name of the receiver. I have a Marantz 2226b, which topped out at 26 wpc, while the 2275 comes in at a more powerful 75wpc.

https://hifisetup.medium.com/vintag...ion-every-vintage-hifi-collector-eb85531dd168

May 20, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #1,056 of 3,270
The Marantz 2xxx and 2xxxB series of receivers are amongst the most coveted (and expensive) receivers from the seventies.

Your 2275 was 2nd from the TOTL Marantz from that era, being topped only by the 2285. The 2xxx and 2xxxB series had the wattage listed in the name of the receiver. I have a Marantz 2226b, which topped out at 26 wpc, while the 2275 comes in at a more powerful 75wpc.

https://hifisetup.medium.com/vintag...ion-every-vintage-hifi-collector-eb85531dd168
I restored an old 2220b. Those are real, useful 20 Watts lol.

It sounds glorious, and I gave it to my buddy as a housewarming gift.

I've since restored several other units (Sansui, Pioneer, and Yamaha's). If anyone is looking for a high-quality amp that won't completely break the bank, there are still vintage gems out there. Audio amplification technology really hasn't advanced all that much since the 70's. There are some TOTL vintage amps that would walk circles around many modern, high-end amps.

It does require one to do the research and leg work, but boy does it pay dividends.

@Monsterzero , do you like the AC run from your vintage pieces? Or, does it become too dynamic and bassy? 😅

May 20, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #1,057 of 3,270
@Monsterzero , do you like the AC run from your vintage pieces? Or, does it become too dynamic and bassy? 😅
TBH I havent tried it yet. I usually use my vintage receivers for my vintage AKGs, K240 sextetts and K240DF are both 600 ohms and low 90s sensitivity and the
K340 is 480-ish ohms and an even lower sensitivity. I currently have my Sansui 881 in my chain, which is my favorite of the eight vintage receivers I own.

My OTL and Violectric can both drive the AKGs, but not like my vintage amps can. They just put out more power and really bring those old drivers to life.

I have used other ZMFs on my vintage receivers in the past and they sound glorious, so I'm guessing the AC will be no different, though as you alluded to, warmth and a healthy bottom end are pretty typical from these 1970 behemoths, especially from Marantz, McIntosh and Sansui receivers. If one uses a R2R or tube based DAC along with a vintage receiver you may run into warmth overkill when driving ZMFs. Of course these old receivers have built-in tone controls for treble and bass, with the higher end units adding in a midrange knob as well, so one can make adjustments up or down depending upon personal preferences.

I will give the AC the Sansui treatment in the next few days and let you know.

May 20, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,058 of 3,270
There are some TOTL vintage amps that would walk circles around many modern, high-end amps.
Yeah, the Seventies Wattage Wars produced some incredible sounding monsters. There's a Marantz 2600 for sale on eBay currently, of which less than 1000 units were ever made. Coming in at 300wpc, it's the most powerful receiver Marantz ever made and 2nd only to the 330wpc Technics SA-1000 as the most powerful receiver ever.

Total overkill for headphone duty, but the 2600 will ensure that if you have unsavory neighbors, the 2600 will surely make them move!
Pricetag is not for the faint of heart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1858938607...customid=c44b17d0-f73a-11ed-b1d7-656436336139

May 20, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,059 of 3,270
I round 1980 I used to have a beautiful Yamaha, R-2000 receiver. 150W a channel and really top of the line and it’s day. I paired that with a pair of Klipsch Cornwall speakers in my bedroom when I used to live with my parents when I was in school. Those speakers took up about a quarter of the space in my room.

May 20, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #1,060 of 3,270
Here are some brief impressions of the ZMF Atrium Closed (Olivewood limited edition) after one week of listening.

First, the looks and build of the ZMF AC do not disappoint. The headphone is even more impressive looking in person, the design is elegant, and the wooden case is of high quality. The “Olivewood” marking on the case adds a personalized effect. The build quality seems excellent as well with high-quality materials and premium leather. The earpads are comfortable but the headphone is not light. The headphone includes two cables, one 4-pin XLR and one ¼” single ended. Both seem decent for a stock cable.

I listened to the AC through a Ferrum Oor + Hypsos. This was a good pairing but I would be curious to hear the headphone from a quality OTL tube amp. Music was largely electronic, ambient and some jazz. In terms of sound, the AC delivers a powerful, dynamic, and engaging sound across the frequency range. The bass response is tight and controlled. The midrange is smooth and detailed. The treble is natural and well-extended, with no harshness and only a touch of occasional sibilance. The soundstage is not as expansive as an open-back but still satisfactory. It is wide with good imaging and instrument separation.

The selling point of the AC, at least compared to an open-back, is that it offers noise isolation (perfect for nighttime listening) and a more focused sound signature. It was suitable for electronic music, ambient and jazz. These genres sounded great on the AC. As for negatives, the headphone is comfortable but also heavy -- you feel the weight. The provided cables are also too short. The length is more suitable for DAP use.

Thus far, I am very happy with the AC. It is an excellent option for those who need or prefer closed headphones and are looking for a balanced sound signature, luxurious design, and premium build quality.

DSCF2781 (2).jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #1,061 of 3,270
@Monsterzero

My Akai AA 1150 should arrive next week, I'm excited.
The Marantz is almost pretentious in price, but very classy, you have to like it a bit.

To all those who have already received an Ac, I can only say that it is beautiful.
From overkill to simple or discreet everything is there.
It's definitely worth the wait.
I feel very sorry for that he has to wait and I'm sure he's almost bleeding to death because of it.

The first Stabilzed also make a very nice impression and the one of Letodal is very well done.
Great work what Zmf has done there.

I will certainly buy one, but I am still waiting for a nice wood.

Because of the insulation, with my recently acquired. AO Bocote, I can't complain.
It's even better than the Auteur Og, I've noticed.
I can imagine that with the AC you can immerse yourself even deeper into the music without disturbing anyone.
The alarm could probably go off outside and you wouldn't even notice it.
Enjoy your Ac, there were a few where I say it didn't meet my taste visually but that's okay too, that's part of it.

May 20, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #1,062 of 3,270
My Akai AA 1150 should arrive next week, I'm excited
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your AA 1150. Very underrated and understated looking receiver, but the sound is great. The Akai has a more balanced sound, similar to my vintage Onkyo and Kenwood so you shouldnt have an overload of warmth with ZMFs

May 20, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #1,063 of 3,270
You all are making shopping for an amp hard! I feel like I need to now at least try to demo some vintage receivers with the AC's. There is a place about an hour from me that sells all vintage gear and does like recapping and all that fun stuff. Might have to take a ride up there one of these weekends.

May 20, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #1,064 of 3,270
You all are making shopping for an amp hard! I feel like I need to now at least try to demo some vintage receivers with the AC's. There is a place about an hour from me that sells all vintage gear and does like recapping and all that fun stuff. Might have to take a ride up there one of these weekends.
Damn man, you're ahead of most of us, who end up buying blind off of eBay and hope that the receiver doesnt get wrecked in shipment and sounds the way it has been described on the internet.

Take your headphones and try some vintage gear for yourself! They do not all sound the same, so try a few, and really the big dollar monsters that are out there are overkill for headphone usage. The smaller wattage receivers 35wpc+ are plenty for headphone use and usually can be had for much less than the 100+wpc monsters not to mention they can drive speakers, have built-in tone control, loudness button which boosts treble and bass for low volume level listening, a plethora of input options including a phono stage, etc... too many advantages over dedicated HP amps to list.

If you have any questions on vintage amps and receivers feel free to PM me so we can keep this thread on the AC.

May 20, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #1,065 of 3,270
There is a place about an hour from me that sells all vintage gear and does like recapping and all that fun stuff. Might have to take a ride up there one of these weekends.
I'm not far up the road from you and moved here only a few months ago - would you mind sharing the name of the place, please?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back