ZMF Atrium Closed - the latest closed back headphone from ZMF
Dec 11, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #2,491 of 3,119
You've given me enough info that I think I'm going to get the Auteur Suede solid pads as well. I have pretty big ears, so I think the added thickness of the Auteur pads will work better for me, at least from a comfort perspective.
I also really like the Auteur suede's as well. Those and the Eikon suedes will give a more "closed-back" sound to the staging, but it's a nice change up IMO. Also like @erics75 said, they are very comfy.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,492 of 3,119
I also really like the Auteur suede's as well. Those and the Eikon suedes will give a more "closed-back" sound to the staging, but it's a nice change up IMO. Also like @erics75 said, they are very comfy.
I’ve been trying them out this evening and I agree about the staging but the bass does hit harder which is fun for sub bass tracks! I think they do offer a bit more ear space as well… very comfy!

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #2,493 of 3,119
Ok, you guys have convinced me. I just emailed them to add Auteur Suede solid pads to my order. Now I'll have 4 pad options for my new AC.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #2,494 of 3,119
Ok, you guys have convinced me. I just emailed them to add Auteur Suede solid pads to my order. Now I'll have 4 pad options for my new AC.
I also feel they offer a bit more isolation… which is why I bought them but, I’m rather enjoying them listening to Yello Toy. Definitely a nice alternative to have!

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #2,495 of 3,119
I wonder how much the Auteur Suede Solids differ vs the Auteur Hybrid Solids on the AC. apparently I ordered the Hybrids and not the Suedes :sweat_smile:

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #2,497 of 3,119
I'd be very careful doing too much pad rolling. It can drive you crazy. And it keeps you from listening to the music. Keep one on for at least a week at time and take notes. Eventually you'll settle on the one you like.
I usually stick with stock pads, the ones Zach has chosen to ship on the headphones, for a while before even considering a change. Then I slowly go through the other options until I find the one I like the most, and then I hardly ever change again.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #2,498 of 3,119
I'd be very careful doing too much pad rolling. It can drive you crazy. And it keeps you from listening to the music. Keep one on for at least a week at time and take notes. Eventually you'll settle on the one you like.
WHAT?! No no no- you gotta try at least three different pads a day! 🤪😝

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #2,499 of 3,119
I usually stick with stock pads, the ones Zach has chosen to ship on the headphones, for a while before even considering a change. Then I slowly go through the other options until I find the one I like the most, and then I hardly ever change again.
yep, goes for all audio stuff. better to listen to stuff long term and notice how enjoyable it is, rather than trying to a/b everything rapidly

Dec 11, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #2,500 of 3,119
I just swapped out my bully strap from a olive green top, black bottom, to a double sided olive. It adds to the sonics in the same way that a good pair of racing stripes increases horsepower and quarter mile times. It makes all the difference!

It makes me happy though. Thought I'd post up a few after pics.
20231211_143103.jpg
20231211_143114.jpg

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #2,501 of 3,119
I just swapped out my bully strap from a olive green top, black bottom, to a double sided olive. It adds to the sonics in the same way that a good pair of racing stripes increases horsepower and quarter mile times. It makes all the difference!

It makes me happy though. Thought I'd post up a few after pics.20231211_143103.jpg20231211_143114.jpg
So you lost some of the inky blackground for a more earthy/grounded sound?

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #2,502 of 3,119

It makes me happy though. Thought I'd post up a few after pics.20231211_143103.jpg20231211_143114.jpg

Looks very nice

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #2,503 of 3,119
This is what I'd normally do... find what I like and stick but I have a feeling the Caldera Suede Perf will be the main pads but for Rock/Heavy Metal genres I think the Auteur Suede Solids may well be my goto. I really like the energy of that combo and staging isn't as important compared to other genres

Dec 12, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,504 of 3,119
I'd love to hear your sound comparison on the Bokeh Suedes and Auteur solid Suedes on your AC. The only thing that makes me think I might still want the Auteur Suede pads is for the added space for my ears since I assume the Auteur pads are thicker than the Bokeh pads.
I'm about 6 hours into the Bokeh suede pads on the AC and so far there are two differences I'm noting consistently from track to track compared to the Auteur suede:

1) There's a bit more upper mids and lower treble with the Bokeh pads. Vocals are a bit more forward, and overall upper frequencies are more present overall.

2) Soundstage is larger and more diffuse. The Auteur pads have an intimate stage in comparison, though I wouldn't call it small. But overall staging is more expansive with the Bokeh pads.

Those are what stands out the most between the two pads. They're different enough that you can make an argument for having both on hand. I think the seal is better with the taller Auteur pads, and the bass kicks just a touch harder, but bass-wise they're very close IMO. These are great pads for those who feel the vocals region of the AC are recessed or lacking, but find the Caldera suede pads too neutral sounding.

Mounting the Bokeh pads on the AC took a bit more effort than a standard pad, but nothing too crazy.

Here's my visual take on where the pads I've tried on the AC current sit:

1702397967526.png

EDIT - I'm going to try the Auteur solid lamb pads on the AC now :) My instincts say it's not going to work but lets test it!

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #2,505 of 3,119
I'm about 6 hours into the Bokeh suede pads on the AC and so far there are two differences I'm noting consistently from track to track compared to the Auteur suede:

1) There's a bit more upper mids and lower treble with the Bokeh pads. Vocals are a bit more forward, and overall upper frequencies are more present overall.

2) Soundstage is larger and more diffuse. The Auteur pads have an intimate stage in comparison, though I wouldn't call it small. But overall staging is more expansive with the Bokeh pads.

Those are what stands out the most between the two pads. They're different enough that you can make an argument for having both on hand. I think the seal is better with the taller Auteur pads, and the bass kicks just a touch harder, but bass-wise they're very close IMO. These are great pads for those who feel the vocals region of the AC are recessed or lacking, but find the Caldera suede pads too neutral sounding.

Mounting the Bokeh pads on the AC took a bit more effort than a standard pad, but nothing too crazy.

Here's my visual take on where the pads I've tried on the AC current sit:

1702397967526.png

EDIT - I'm going to try the Auteur solid lamb pads on the AC now :) My instincts say it's not going to work but lets test it!
Thanks for the detailed impressions. That's super helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back