ZMF Atrium Closed
Dec 12, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #2,506 of 3,180
I have both the AC and Bokeh at work today and have been playing with pads most of the day. One experiment I found interesting was swapping protein Caldera protein pads from the Bokeh with the Caldera thin lambskin pads from the AC, and vice versa. The protein material definitely plays a factor in the sonics of the pads. Swapping the pads brought both headphones closer together sonically. With stock pads on both, I found the AC a bit less bassy, with less presence up top, compared to the Bokeh. After the swap, I found that that relationship still holds true, but not to the degree it did with the stock pads. The AC and Bokeh are eerily close sonically when wearing each other's pads! The Bokeh still has more treble energy and bass punch, but it's lessened with the lambskin material. Plus the Caldera thin pads have perforated outer walls whereas the protein pads have solid ones. The protein material feels more pliable and IMO likely forms a better seal on the face than does the thicker, stiffer lambskin material. I have no scientific way to test it, but given the sonic changes, it seems to hold up logically. Will cross post to AC thread as well. So Bokeh fans wanting to dull the Bokeh just a touch but not as much as the hybrid pads might want to try the Caldera thin lamb pads. And AC fans wanting to add a touch more air and bass might want to try the Caldera protein pads. Curious if anyone else with these two pads have tried the swap? Love to hear your impressions!

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #2,507 of 3,180
Has anyone paired their AC with a Mjolnir 3? That will be the main amp I’ll be using with my AC when it arrives. I’m hoping it will be a good pairing.

I also have my trusty SW51+ if I want to add a different flavor with a high-impedance tube amp.

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #2,508 of 3,180
I'm about 6 hours into the Bokeh suede pads on the AC and so far there are two differences I'm noting consistently from track to track compared to the Auteur suede:

1) There's a bit more upper mids and lower treble with the Bokeh pads. Vocals are a bit more forward, and overall upper frequencies are more present overall.

2) Soundstage is larger and more diffuse. The Auteur pads have an intimate stage in comparison, though I wouldn't call it small. But overall staging is more expansive with the Bokeh pads.

Those are what stands out the most between the two pads. They're different enough that you can make an argument for having both on hand. I think the seal is better with the taller Auteur pads, and the bass kicks just a touch harder, but bass-wise they're very close IMO. These are great pads for those who feel the vocals region of the AC are recessed or lacking, but find the Caldera suede pads too neutral sounding.

Mounting the Bokeh pads on the AC took a bit more effort than a standard pad, but nothing too crazy.

Here's my visual take on where the pads I've tried on the AC current sit:

1702397967526.png

EDIT - I'm going to try the Auteur solid lamb pads on the AC now :) My instincts say it's not going to work but lets test it!

Thanks for the impression! How's the dynamics and bass on Bokeh pads compared to Caldera thin?

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #2,511 of 3,180
Has anyone paired their AC with a Mjolnir 3? That will be the main amp I’ll be using with my AC when it arrives. I’m hoping it will be a good pairing.

I also have my trusty SW51+ if I want to add a different flavor with a high-impedance tube amp.
I have not but I look forward to your findings

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #2,512 of 3,180
The redwoods have arrived! Thanks ZMF. And a few hours before the new tubes too.

Immediate impressions after an hour is that I had to take off the Caldera suedes that were just too sharp in the treble for my preferences. Once lambskins were on, treble was calmed down a bit with the benefit of bigger bass at the expense of a bit of an overall darker presentation and the loss of that creamy suede mids timbre. It's definitely an Atrium line of headphone sounding closer to the AO than not to me lol; my canjam impressions didn't change. The redwood light weight is amazing and could result in these cans getting more head time than they normally would. Now to decide if the xDuoo TA-30 into AC will be my cooking or bedside table setup...

Hard to get a good pic in cloudy December. Cable is Arctic Cables Talos v2 with all dark coating if anyone is curious.

20231214_123953.jpg

20231214_125815.jpg

and current jam of the week

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #2,513 of 3,180
The redwoods have arrived! Thanks ZMF. And a few hours before the new tubes too.

Immediate impressions after an hour is that I had to take off the Caldera suedes that were just too sharp in the treble for my preferences. Once lambskins were on, treble was calmed down a bit with the benefit of bigger bass at the expense of a bit of an overall darker presentation and the loss of that creamy suede mids timbre. It's definitely an Atrium line of headphone sounding closer to the AO than not to me lol; my canjam impressions didn't change. The redwood light weight is amazing and could result in these cans getting more head time than they normally would. Now to decide if the xDuoo TA-30 into AC will be my cooking or bedside table setup...

Hard to get a good pic in cloudy December. Arctic Cable Talos v2 with all dark coating if anyone is curious.

20231214_123953.jpg

20231214_125815.jpg

What cable is that?

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #2,514 of 3,180

Hard to get a good pic in cloudy December. Arctic Cable Talos v2 with all dark coating if anyone is curious.

20231214_123953.jpg
I'm sorry, but your headband actually has "B-STOCK" stamped on it??? That's hilarious. Have not seen one like that before.

Dec 14, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #2,515 of 3,180
I'm sorry, but your headband actually has "B-STOCK" stamped on it??? That's hilarious. Have not seen one like that before.
Lol I think it's what I get for asking for the suede when the pic on the site was the leather.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,516 of 3,180

Hard to get a good pic in cloudy December. Cable is Arctic Cables Talos v2 with all dark coating if anyone is curious.

20231214_123953.jpg

20231214_125815.jpg

Beautiful set. Id give the Caldera suedes another try once they’ve had 100hrs of run time. I found they lost a lot of the initial edge after 50 but by 100hrs the highs were really nice with the Suedes! Enjoy 👍🏻

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #2,517 of 3,180
Beautiful set. Id give the Caldera suedes another try once they’ve had 100hrs of run time. I found they lost a lot of the initial edge after 50 but by 100hrs the highs were really nice with the Suedes! Enjoy 👍🏻
Thanks. So I've read before, so that was the plan. For now the Caldera Suedes are an experiment on the VC.

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #2,518 of 3,180

Gorgeous pair, couldnt tell this is a b-stock, easily rivaling my summer burl redwood.

Just not sure I would want that b-stock print. Do all b-stock untis have that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back