ZMF Atrium Closed
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #2,536 of 3,217
Does it say this stamp will be added on the ordering page that I am not seeing, probably not a bad idea to add that to the ordering details.
I dont think so. And the consensus during the b-stock sale was the units to pretty much look like A-stock with some very minor irregularties like not perfectly matched cups. I adviced a relative and a friend to go for a b-stock especially considering some b-stock units are truly one-offs. I am pretty certain they wont be happy with such large b-stock marking on a visible part of a very expensive headphone. Hope there is a solution to avoid it.

I understand the reasoning behind the idea, but imho considering its a luxury item it could be on the inside part of the bullstrap not on the visible surface. A dishonest seller will just order a 50 bucks replacement anyway.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #2,538 of 3,217
Has anyone listened to these on a long haul flight? Unfortunately economy class because I'm not going for work :). The kids will have to suffer the earcups on either side of me if I decide to listen.

Taking my Gold Bar and AC on the vacation trip for some tunes anyway so wondering if I should break it out mid-air.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,539 of 3,217
I dont think so. And the consensus during the b-stock sale was the units to pretty much look like A-stock with some very minor irregularties like not perfectly matched cups. I adviced a relative and a friend to go for a b-stock especially considering some b-stock units are truly one-offs. I am pretty certain they wont be happy with such large b-stock marking on a visible part of a very expensive headphone. Hope there is a solution to avoid it.

I understand the reasoning behind the idea, but imho considering its a luxury item it could be on the inside part of the bullstrap not on the visible surface. A dishonest seller will just order a 50 bucks replacement anyway.
Wow! I can’t believe that. This is so low and unprofessional!!!

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #2,540 of 3,217
Has anyone listened to these on a long haul flight? Unfortunately economy class because I'm not going for work :). The kids will have to suffer the earcups on either side of me if I decide to listen.

Taking my Gold Bar and AC on the vacation trip for some tunes anyway so wondering if I should break it out mid-air.
If you do, pics are a must!

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #2,541 of 3,217
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #2,542 of 3,217

Wow! I can’t believe that. This is so low and unprofessional
Not sure what I you mean?
on ZMF part. I think it’s wrong to put the label like that.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #2,543 of 3,217

While it could be in a better location, it isn't wrong to label something that accurately describes what it actually is. I certainly don't view it as "Low" or "Unprofessional".

Personally, I'd prefer to see it on the underside of the metal near the Left / Right symbol. This would also mean it can't be removed by swapping the pad. Mind you, selling a "B-Stock" headphone as A-Stock later on to an unsuspecting buyer could be considered as "Low" or "Unprofessional" and it is this that Zach is trying to stop.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #2,544 of 3,217

Why is that wrong on ZMFs part? They're trying to protect both the buyers in the used market, and their own brand by doing this. I do wish they'd do something less visible like put a marking underneath the ear pads on the baffle or something, but in the end it's their decision. And it's there to protect buyers in the used market from unscrupulous sellers who sell a b stock unit as a stock at a higher price. Put yourself in those shoes for a moment to see it from another side. You pay a premium for a used ZMF thinking it's a stock. You get it and find something on it you dont like, that made it a b stock unit, such as mismatched cups, etc. Wouldn't you be upset? If ZMF marks b stock units that will protect you the buyer. And it protects their brand. Going back to my example, you don't know your unit is b stock, so you take to the internet to say how your ZMF isn't good, etc etc. That harms the ZMF brand. Remember, whoever initially bought that b stock did so knowing exactly what they were getting. You won't unless the seller is honest, or the unit is marked in a way to identify it.

I totally understand people not liking the giant "b stock" imprint location. I wouldn't either, it's a bit aggressive. But I do see how important it is for ZMF to identify units as b stock somehow. Again, I hope Zach refines the process and finds a way to label them b stock in a way that's more hidden. I think the wood baffle under the ear pads is perfect for such a marking. Used sellers can easily unmount the ear pads on their units when taking pics to prove if it's a or b stock. But it's not so in your face there like it is on the headband itself.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #2,545 of 3,217
Agreed - there will always be bad actors in the world, nothing we can do about that - but to essentially pass on the consequences for their behavior (which is definitely the minority of "customers") to the typical consumer, that is still paying, let's face it, a LOT of money for a pair of headphones is not right - I know I won't be purchasing another b-stock unit if that is going to be on it - thankfully I must've got right in at the end when b-stock units did not come with that stamp.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,546 of 3,217
I own four ZMF units. None of them are b-stock. All bought new. I'm a fan. But I have to say that this is a bizarre approach. Especially because a dishonest seller can change the headband.

It's not low or unprofessional. Zach and co. are good guys and their hearts are in the right place for sure. But It's unprecedented in this hobby as far as I know, we can say that. Surely there are other (better) solutions. I can think of one or two. B-stock items still cost one or two thousand of dollars, there's no need for this heavy-handed approach of slapping a "damaged goods" label on someone's 2k headphone.

Dec 15, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #2,547 of 3,217
Why is that wrong on ZMFs part? They're trying to protect both the buyers in the used market, and their own brand by doing this. I do wish they'd do something less visible like put a marking underneath the ear pads on the baffle or something, but in the end it's their decision.
Well, why would they not put it somewhere on a more permanent location? Putting it on a part that I can go buy from ZMF to replace seems a bit... weird? But hey, maybe that is my cynical side coming out a bit here.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2,548 of 3,217
Well, why would they not put it somewhere on a more permanent location? Putting it on a part that I can go buy from ZMF to replace seems a bit... weird? But hey, maybe that is my cynical side coming out a bit here.
The location and ease of manipulation I do agree with you on. I would much prefer it be somewhere easily accessible but hidden from plain sight. I like the one idea of stamping it on the inside of the steel band near the gimbal, or my idea of on the wood baffle under the ear pads. Given how big ZMF has gotten and how active the used market is for them, it might be time to come up with some form of stamp or identifier for A and B stock units on all headphones so it's permanently identified and out of sight.

It's a very good discussion. I agree with ZMF's idea, but not the current execution of the idea. But knowing how much Zach/Bevin care about the end users, I'm confident they'll tweak the execution as they process the feedback.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #2,549 of 3,217

I really wouldnt go as far as calling ZMF unprofessional or low, since there is a very right intention behind that move. I just think there is far better placement positions for that and this DEFINITLY should have been mentioned on the product page so people undertand what they get or have an option to order an additional strap with their unit. I am sure Zach will find a solution.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #2,550 of 3,217
I really wouldnt go as far as calling ZMF unprofessional or low, since there is a very right intention behind that move. I just think there is far better placement positions for that and this DEFINITLY should have been mentioned on the product page so people undertand what they get or have an option to order an additional strap with their unit. I am sure Zach will find a solution.
I meant no disrespect to Zach. I was just caught by surprise with that picture. My words may have been too strong, but it’s definitely not fair to the customer!
How would I show my pride of owning a ZMF to a friend with it labeled as B-STOCK!
I bought my car as a demo model and it’s not labeled with Demo or used. I get compliments for my new car all the time. And I worked hard for that money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back