ZMF Atrium Closed
Dec 15, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,551 of 3,217
Zach mentioned that they’d get units sent back for QC complaints only to find out they were B-stock, but the current owner wasn’t aware of it. This implies that ZMF already has more covert ways of identifying B-Stock. While a more visible mark on the strap does virtually nothing to deter bad actors, it does help identify B-stock to an honest 2nd or subsequent owner.
You certainly can’t tell they are B-stock when you’re listening to them. Do you not want other people to know you saved a little $$$? For those people, just buy a new strap and save the B-stock one for if you ever sell them.

Dec 15, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #2,552 of 3,217
Wow! I can’t believe that. This is so low and unprofessional

on ZMF part. I think it’s wrong to put the label like that.
Hello, everybody! Hope everyone is having a good one. Just coming in to say that Zach and I (as may be obvious) are super active in the headphone community on all of the forums. There are so many! We have unfortunately seen headphones being misrepresented either purposefully or by accident by a user down the line and in the end we have tried to classify our items better for community members.

That said, the stamp is more discreet than it might look here, and is an imprint without any coloring, and is not from our perspective meant to be a moniker of 'damaged goods' or the Scarlet Letter of something being lesser, but a designation of a B-stock set, which means that it is not a run of standard production headphone and may have some uncategorized mark, wood grain, finish we were trialing, etc. We have other stamps that go on headphones as well "Demo" for units bought off the table at CanJam "Review Unit" when sent to reviewers, etc. They all are a small branding under the model brand. I am the first one to throw a veto at anything I think looks ugly, but IMHO, the brand is pretty small and not at all a billboard or advertisement of "lesser than." There are a lot of headphones that are out in the world with these small brandings that haven't been thought about or spoken about until now, including the b-stock brand which we've had for some time but not always used consistently until the used market, and our reputation got more out of hand. We have been using these stamps for over a year. I think when looking at a headphone in hand if you don't think to look at the brand with intention, you don't really see or think about it. Again, this is from my perspective of being someone at the company who is on the aesthetics side.

We have always been really proud of ZMF November and our B-stock sale, and do note that the rarity and over-run headphones that are not labeled as b-stock at checkout will not have a b-stock marking. In the future given the feedback by a few of you we will look into other ways, but we sat down as a team and re-discussed this, and came to the same conclusion, those changing out the b-stock band will most likely do so because they want to keep the headphone for a longer period of time and be honest about it, those who are trying to gain a small amount of financial gain will likely not want to go through the cost, time or effort of changing out the band. Of course there will be outliers but that's what we've found, and I think you can also see that there's been less negative reddit posts about ZMF lately, which does lead to Zach and I spending an immeasurable amount of time trying to sort this out. We were of the perspective that having (small/discrete) clarity around standard production vs. non-standard protects ZMFs reputation as a brand which translates to security of your headphone investment to our owners.

So anyways - we will look into a new way to do this in the future, but we figured this method which we've been doing for a while was better than not having a b-stock sale at all as we are a tiny business and need to put our energy towards production and not clean-ups, and I wholeheartedly think most will not mind and appreciate the awesome b-stock headphone that lands at their door.

Off to get some headphones out the door! We are busting hard over here, but please shoot us an email at support@zmfheadphones.com if you need anything or have any questions.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #2,553 of 3,217
Hello, everybody! Hope everyone is having a good one. Just coming in to say that Zach and I (as may be obvious) are super active in the headphone community on all of the forums. There are so many! We have unfortunately seen headphones being misrepresented either purposefully or by accident by a user down the line and in the end we have tried to classify our items better for community members.

That said, the stamp is more discreet than it might look here, and is an imprint without any coloring, and is not from our perspective meant to be a moniker of 'damaged goods' or the Scarlet Letter of something being lesser, but a designation of a B-stock set, which means that it is not a run of standard production headphone and may have some uncategorized mark, wood grain, finish we were trialing, etc. We have other stamps that go on headphones as well "Demo" for units bought off the table at CanJam "Review Unit" when sent to reviewers, etc. They all are a small branding under the model brand. I am the first one to throw a veto at anything I think looks ugly, but IMHO, the brand is pretty small and not at all a billboard or advertisement of "lesser than." There are a lot of headphones that are out in the world with these small brandings that haven't been thought about or spoken about until now, including the b-stock brand which we've had for some time but not always used consistently until the used market, and our reputation got more out of hand. We have been using these stamps for over a year. I think when looking at a headphone in hand if you don't think to look at the brand with intention, you don't really see or think about it. Again, this is from my perspective of being someone at the company who is on the aesthetics side.

We have always been really proud of ZMF November and our B-stock sale, and do note that the rarity and over-run headphones that are not labeled as b-stock at checkout will not have a b-stock marking. In the future given the feedback by a few of you we will look into other ways, but we sat down as a team and re-discussed this, and came to the same conclusion, those changing out the b-stock band will most likely do so because they want to keep the headphone for a longer period of time and be honest about it, those who are trying to gain a small amount of financial gain will likely not want to go through the cost, time or effort of changing out the band. Of course there will be outliers but that's what we've found, and I think you can also see that there's been less negative reddit posts about ZMF lately, which does lead to Zach and I spending an immeasurable amount of time trying to sort this out. We were of the perspective that having (small/discrete) clarity around standard production vs. non-standard protects ZMFs reputation as a brand which translates to security of your headphone investment to our owners.

So anyways - we will look into a new way to do this in the future, but we figured this method which we've been doing for a while was better than not having a b-stock sale at all as we are a tiny business and need to put our energy towards production and not clean-ups, and I wholeheartedly think most will not mind and appreciate the awesome b-stock headphone that lands at their door.

Off to get some headphones out the door! We are busting hard over here, but please shoot us an email at support@zmfheadphones.com if you need anything or have any questions.
Thanks for the explanation - however, I still absolutely think this detail should be included in the product info section when purchasing to keep the buyer in the loop of such things! Again, b-stock purchases can be $3k+ from ZMF, which is not cheap and someone spending that much money would likely want to know of such a detail when deciding to spend it.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #2,554 of 3,217
Next November if you feel the urge to pop a B-Stock on a caldera and sell it to me at a nice discounted price like this year…don’t worry, im very confident I’ll snap it up fast enough 😂

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #2,555 of 3,217
Zach mentioned that they’d get units sent back for QC complaints only to find out they were B-stock, but the current owner wasn’t aware of it. This implies that ZMF already has more covert ways of identifying B-Stock.
Yes ofcourse, we can look inside the cups and find the internal serial number and link it to an order within our system, unfortunately this system isn't available on the used market.

As @BooUrns mentioned we've been putting labels on headphones for quite some time, it's on hundreds of headphones even before this discussion and this years b-stock run. We will find another way next year to permanently place B-Stock on the headphone somewhere else.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #2,556 of 3,217
If I bought headphones from the "overrun" section, do they also receive the "b-stock" label?

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #2,557 of 3,217
If I bought headphones from the "overrun" section, do they also receive the "b-stock" label?
Those will not, as they are considered a-stock which is on the details page
1702668061297.png

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #2,558 of 3,217
Has anyone listened to these on a long haul flight? Unfortunately economy class because I'm not going for work :). The kids will have to suffer the earcups on either side of me if I decide to listen.

Taking my Gold Bar and AC on the vacation trip for some tunes anyway so wondering if I should break it out mid-air.
I don’t think they’d be optimal given the perforated pads. The VC is probably the most isolating of all the ZMFs.

This is precisely why I picked up my IE 900s; less unwieldy plus I’m afraid to bring my gorgeous ZMFs out of the house lol.
Also, I must say, I get the IEM crowd now. I’ll still always reach for full-sized first, but it’s very impressive what IEMs can do these days.

Also also, I imagine @zach915m would have a line of customers immediately following the launch of some ZMF IEMs.
Blackwood IEMs? Yes, please. :)

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #2,560 of 3,217
Do you not want other people to know you saved a little $$$? For those people, just buy a new strap and save the B-stock one for if you ever sell them.
I am not sure this is the main reason why someone would have an issue with it. Take me for example, when I purchased my VC B-Stock unit and posted pictured in the VC thread, I proudly announced it was B-Stock as it didn't have the stamp. Hell, the quality of the "B-Stock" pair I received was amazing, and like I said in my original post, if I would have bought these as A-Stock I wouldn't have been any wiser. This to me shows even more pride in the company and purchase that such quality is rated "b-stock" from the customer, not less.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #2,561 of 3,217
I proudly announced it was B-Stock as it didn't have the stamp. Hell, the quality of the "B-Stock" pair I received was amazing, and like I said in my original post, if I would have bought these as A-Stock I wouldn't have been any wiser.
You sir are a good samaritan. :beerchug:

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #2,562 of 3,217
I meant no disrespect to Zach. I was just caught by surprise with that picture. My words may have been too strong, but it’s definitely not fair to the customer!
How would I show my pride of owning a ZMF to a friend with it labeled as B-STOCK!
I bought my car as a demo model and it’s not labeled with Demo or used. I get compliments for my new car all the time. And I worked hard for that money.

This is actually a pretty common practice in the guitar industry. Marking approaches vary, but usually it's a "B" or "2nd" making on the back of the headstock.

I've only ever seen it applied to instruments that have cosmetic blemishes but no functional issues. It's always done for the reasons that Zach mentioned. It's a headache for manufacturers to sell as a discounted B-stock if it gets resold later without disclosing that information. It leads to criticisms of poor quality control, even though it was intentionally sold as a fully functional, but not cosmetic A stock product.

But yeah, location can always be debated. That's where things get a bit more subjective.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #2,564 of 3,217
Having a light work day today as it's the last day the office is open until Jan 3rd. I'm sitting by the tree, pup is sleeping on my lap and I'm diving deep into old playlists with the AC and a Nikka Rare Super Old. Life couldn't be much better. I know it's a bit early but Happy Holiday's to everybody. It's a great time of the year made only better by Zach and the collective talents at ZMF.

IMG_0547.jpg

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #2,565 of 3,217
Having a light work day today as it's the last day the office is open until Jan 3rd. I'm sitting by the tree, pup is sleeping on my lap and I'm diving deep into old playlists with the AC and a Nikka Rare Super Old. Life couldn't be much better. I know it's a bit early but Happy Holiday's to everybody. It's a great time of the year made only better by Zach and the collective talents at ZMF.

IMG_0547.jpg
can I get your impressions of the Caldera vs AC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back