ZMF Atrium Closed
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #2,476 of 3,180
Can't stop listening to these. Super addictive. Curious about the differences between the AC and Atrium.

Are they more similar or quite different than one another?

I agree with the previous comments. AC and AO share similarities but sound quite different. AO is more mid-forward, while I found AC to be hotter in the treble and lower treble. The bass on both are fantastic but AC has more meat in the subbass.

Dec 10, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #2,477 of 3,180
@AudioDuck
Curious if you’ve had a chance to switch to the Caldera Suedes yet?

I’ve been listening to Caldera for most of this week but I’m back on the AC this morning and I forgot how good they are. Not sure which I prefer to be honest. AC with Caldera Suedes is end game for me in a closed back for sure. They’re just so addicting and punchy.

I was going to place one last order with ZMF before Christmas and wondered if you’ve tried any other pads?
Apologies for the delayed response, Kevin!

I did indeed switch to the Caldera Suedes and am very happy with the change. To my ears it shaved a little extension off the treble (at least with some recordings), but the midrange is nice and lush, so I’m a happy camper. I felt the lambskins were a little faster/punchier too, but not enough to be a concern at all.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, really, and the comfort of the suedes tips it in their favor. 😁 :L3000:

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #2,478 of 3,180
Well I officially sold my D8000 yesterday, so I proceeded with my plan to order a natural Ash AC to complement my Meze Elite and Ash Auteur. I think this trio will cover me for all my headphone needs for the foreseeable future. Famous last words…

As a side note, I emailed Zach about adding Auteur Suede (solid) pads as my third option, and he recommended going with the Suede Bokeh pads instead. He said they’re a variation of the Caldera pads with less perforation. Their sound should be between the Lambskin Caldera and Suede Caldera. He likes them now as the best third option for the AC. @heliosphann As our resident ZMF pad master, you’ll need to try these out ASAP!

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #2,479 of 3,180
Well I officially sold my D8000 yesterday, so I proceeded with my plan to order a natural Ash AC to complement my Meze Elite and Ash Auteur. I think this trio will cover me for all my headphone needs for the foreseeable future. Famous last words…

As a side note, I emailed Zach about adding Auteur Suede (solid) pads as my third option, and he recommended going with the Suede Bokeh pads instead. He said they’re a variation of the Caldera pads with less perforation. Their sound should be between the Lambskin Caldera and Suede Caldera. He likes them now as the best third option for the AC. @heliosphann As our resident ZMF pad master, you’ll need to try these out ASAP!
I'm on it! I could use a Bokeh break. lol

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #2,481 of 3,180

How would you order Bokeh pads for the AC? I don't see Bokeh pads on their store page, and I don't see them as an optional add-on to the AC.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #2,482 of 3,180
They really are that. I preferred the lambskin over the suede Caldera because the suede just sacfriced too much bass. No longer have the lamskin but the Bokeh suede are exactly what I hoped and more like the lambskin. Did some bass heavy song comparisions with the 2 suedes and yep, I'll only use the Bokeh suedes on the AC from now on once I get another pair (love them on the Bokeh itself too). Just too much was lost for me going back to the Caldera suedes on the AC. Might be making the stage slightly more narrow but not certain yet. Regardless it's made the AC finally what I hoped it would be all along. Might be taming the treble spakle too which brings it more in line with my preferences.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #2,483 of 3,180
How would you order Bokeh pads for the AC? I don't see Bokeh pads on their store page, and I don't see them as an optional add-on to the AC.
I don't think you can yet. Maybe they're limited to the Bokeh for now so they have enough for the hundreds eventually ordering them while on sale. I'd think they'd be available at some point.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 5:39 AM Post #2,484 of 3,180

🤔🤔🤔

I think I’ll need to try that too.. thanks for sharing!

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #2,485 of 3,180

Interesting. I did get the tuning kit with the Bokeh, so I do have a pair of suede bokeh pads. Gonna give it a go

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #2,486 of 3,180
I have the Bokeh pads in, I will try them out tonight or tomorrow. I adore the Auteur solid suede pads on the AC, they are also a nice middle ground between the lamb and suede Caldera pads. You get more air up top like with the suede but also most of the bass response of the lamb. I have my AC with Auteur suede at work with me today, I didn't bring the Bokeh in, kicking myself for not doing it. All last week I was bringing in the Bokeh and one other headphone to compare/contrast.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #2,487 of 3,180
I have the Bokeh pads in, I will try them out tonight or tomorrow. I adore the Auteur solid suede pads on the AC, they are also a nice middle ground between the lamb and suede Caldera pads. You get more air up top like with the suede but also most of the bass response of the lamb. I have my AC with Auteur suede at work with me today, I didn't bring the Bokeh in, kicking myself for not doing it. All last week I was bringing in the Bokeh and one other headphone to compare/contrast.
I'd love to hear your sound comparison on the Bokeh Suedes and Auteur solid Suedes on your AC. The only thing that makes me think I might still want the Auteur Suede pads is for the added space for my ears since I assume the Auteur pads are thicker than the Bokeh pads.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #2,488 of 3,180
I'd love to hear your sound comparison on the Bokeh Suedes and Auteur solid Suedes on your AC. The only thing that makes me think I might still want the Auteur Suede pads is for the added space for my ears since I assume the Auteur pads are thicker than the Bokeh pads.
The Caldera Suedes that come with the AC (perf) have more space than the stock pads... think Elite Angle Pads comfy 😀. I think the Auteur Solid Suede are similar to the Caldera in terms of space (and comfort). I must give them a listen on the Aegis as I normally reserve them when I need more isolation when using the Mojo 2!

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #2,489 of 3,180
Besides the sonics, my favorite part of the the Auteur suede pads is the comfort. Those are thick and plush and so so comfy feeling. The Bokeh pads have shallower sides so they put the driver closer to your ear, much like the Verite pads do. Curious how the pads compare sonically given that plus the extra seal from the solid suede vs perforated suede.

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #2,490 of 3,180
Besides the sonics, my favorite part of the the Auteur suede pads is the comfort. Those are thick and plush and so so comfy feeling. The Bokeh pads have shallower sides so they put the driver closer to your ear, much like the Verite pads do. Curious how the pads compare sonically given that plus the extra seal from the solid suede vs perforated suede.
You've given me enough info that I think I'm going to get the Auteur Suede solid pads as well. I have pretty big ears, so I think the added thickness of the Auteur pads will work better for me, at least from a comfort perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back