Zishan Z4 - DAP with Dual DAC ES9038Q2M | Dual AMP OPA1622 | USB 32-bit + DSD | Bluetooth LDAC 24-bit | Balanced 2,5/4,4 | LO/PO 3,5mm
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #121 of 620
@cqtek it will be nice if You compare Z4 to some HiBy R5 on review.
A lot of ppl just wondering about goes for something expensive or just cheap Chinese DAP.

I think I found sweet spot of buttons in my Z4:
- remove foam from all buttons
- leave lower screws half loose
It's work perfect.

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #122 of 620
Yes you are right. It was my mistake.
I also have one "smoking cap" previous experience by my mistyake.
At least we could see happens to the caps, with smoke and swollen, it's a another level of reality experiencing vs reading/theory. :)

BTW big caps just blow with a big bang sound and make a mess, that append in a closed computer PSU with one cap soldered with wrong polarity from factory. So careful with the eyes, because some explode.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #123 of 620
@cqtek it will be nice if You compare Z4 to some HiBy R5 on review.
A lot of ppl just wondering about goes for something expensive or just cheap Chinese DAP.

I think I found sweet spot of buttons in my Z4:
- remove foam from all buttons
- leave lower screws half loose
It's work perfect.
As I told you the R3 Pro is broken and the R5 Saber was just a loan. But, who knows, the Acmee MF02s may come home at some point and I'm sure I'll compare it to the Z4.
Will the MF02s have the respect I'm looking for from IEMS? The MF01 didn't have it but I still like it. It's hard to stay consistent. In this respect the Z4 improves on the MF01.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #124 of 620
Found issue in DAC mode, sometimes is stop working and disable sound. Sound restart automatically is seconds but need to restart application who using device.

It's very sensitive for any interference like charging Ultrabook. Almost in ~10 sec is lagging sound from USB, without charger everything is OK.

Anyone too?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #125 of 620
Found issue in DAC mode, sometimes is stop working and disable sound. Sound restart automatically is seconds but need to restart application who using device.

It's very sensitive for any interference like charging Ultrabook. Almost in ~10 sec is lagging sound from USB, without charger everything is OK.

Anyone too?
I experienced not very similar, but something to add about issues in dac mode.

I am using it with foobar2k when suddenly the musics stops, then play again from the start. Foobar gave a notification about too large buffer size, even though the buffer size is the recommended. I lowered the buffer size and now works properly.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #127 of 620
I have problems when transferring data: I turn on the player, connect it to a PC, transfer data, after all data has been transferred, the player freezes and needs to be restarted

Aug 9, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #128 of 620
@Mr.HiAudio I got answers.
Device needs to be restarted to force update lists of files in boot up.
They are working on auto update when disconnect from USB.
Try to disconnect safety remove mode in Windows USB manager as well.
Player working as card reader but filtering everything by CPU, that's why speed is lower than normal USB 3.1 card reader.

In PC DAC it's better to plug charging port like desktop DAC. Charging is working as additional decoupling from interference.
In next firmware will be option for Data transfer separately with charging from PC USB.
USB plug in laptops and smartphones can be corrupted by moving cable and sound/video can stop working because of loose connectivity, it's a common USB dongles thing as well.

Device going to "power save mode" set by default Amanero chip when there is no sound by 30 seconds and need 1 second to play.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #129 of 620
@Mr.HiAudio I got answers.
Device needs to be restart o force update lists of files in boot up.
They are working on auto update when disconnect from USB.
Try to disconnect safety remove mode in Windows USB manager as well.
Player working as card reader but filtering everything by CPU why speed is lower than normal USB 3.1 card reader.

In PC DAC it's better to plug charging port like desktop DAC. Charging is working as additional decoupling from interference.
In next firmware will be option for Data transfer separately with charging from PC USB.
USB plug in laptops and smartphones can be corrupted by moving cable and sound/video can stop working because loose connectivity it's a common USB dongles thing as well.

Device going to "power save mode" set by default Amanero chip when there is no sound by 30 seconds and need 1 second to play.
Thank you! :)
and yet, the spectrograph moves from bottom to top and not from right to left. the error is small but here it is. I did not find any more errors as such, I really like Z4 :)

Aug 9, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #130 of 620
Thank you! :)
and yet, the spectrograph moves from bottom to top and not from right to left. the error is small but here it is. I did not find any more errors as such, I really like Z4 :)
Yes it's quite visible :wink:
In Zishan DSDs this feature don't work with all DSD files and that was funny.

Personally, I don't need these spectrographs, because we have nice album covers in this obscure retro LCD TFT - brings memories first portable color screen devices.

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #131 of 620

Anyone too?
Same Issue here but with the U1, in Linux without ASIO driver, and also it powers off if you did not play anything in 1 minute. Saving to buy a Z4 and give it a try, maybe as a test anyone could flash the T1 Rockbox to see if OS works or tell Zishan to do a port of it for Z4.

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #132 of 620
Same Issue here but with the U1, in Linux without ASIO driver, and also it powers off if you did not play anything in 1 minute. Saving to buy a Z4 and give it a try, maybe as a test anyone could flash the T1 Rockbox to see if OS works or tell Zishan to do a port of it for Z4.
Z4 do not power off like U1, just a power save, but it's not a big deal with ~1s sound restart start delay.
If Z4 and T1 sharing same MCU/CPU it is possible but better don't brick device by myself.
How about BT and USB DAC in Rockbox devices?

Aug 9, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #133 of 620
I have problems when transferring data: I turn on the player, connect it to a PC, transfer data, after all data has been transferred, the player freezes and needs to be restarted
I hope this will help.

After transferring, I press the middle button on my z4 so that the screen lights up, after that, eject the z4 in you PC. In this way the player will not freeze after ejecting it and goes back to main menu without error.

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #135 of 620
New firmware thanks to Huo Guang
Fixed Bluetooth L/R channel + performance system optimization
Still V0.1 number

How to install:
  1. drag z4app.bin to SD card at first window
  2. restart device without USB cable
  3. wait until setup erase flash and copy new system
  4. fresh system will boot up automatically
  5. delete z4app.bin file from SD
  6. set up language and your favorite options because of factory reset
Thanks for the post, but I have tried multiple times but I can't seem to update my firmware version. I have the reversed L/R issue with my z4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back