Zishan Z4 - DAP with Dual DAC ES9038Q2M | Dual AMP OPA1622 | USB 32-bit + DSD | Bluetooth LDAC 24-bit | Balanced 2,5/4,4 | LO/PO 3,5mm
Aug 11, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #151 of 620
Hi guys, I have just got my Z4 and it makes this horrible clicking noise only with DSD 256! With other sample rates and formats it works just fine. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and if you think its just with the firmware or is my device defective and should be returned?
Yes, this is firmware issue, will be fixed in future update.

Aug 11, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #153 of 620
Thanks for the quick reply!
You welcome.
I tested as well for fun 5.1 surround 24-bit 192kHz and 5.1 DSD 64 2.8224Mbit/s - yes all true 6 channels files and its work!
Processor achieves maximum utilization (full circle is red) LCD GPU is failing and have big funny interference like broken TV.
When it's stopped, interference disappear.
Device and playback is still running and audio is smooth without lagging :)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #154 of 620
Hi all. I'm in the midst of deciding whether to get this as my other portable setup. Would love to get some opinions on the usability and sound at stock. Maybe with updated firmware but stock internals. It may seem like a silly comparison but would like to get some light so I can decide to either go with the Z4 or a Shanling M3X. I'm comparing in terms of price-to-performance as I would assume if price no object, the M3X would skip ahead in terms of ease of use, daily navigation of media, and such.

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #155 of 620
I am burned this little thing by creating shortcut in 3.3V line :frowning2:
Resistor nerby, upper of img looks like dead as well.
PXL_20210806_162746786-01~2.jpeg
There was smoke and very bright orange glow :wink:

I don't have better image if numbers on top can help.
It's some kind of MOSFET 2 switching diodes?

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #156 of 620
Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #158 of 620
Hi all. I'm in the midst of deciding whether to get this as my other portable setup. Would love to get some opinions on the usability and sound at stock. Maybe with updated firmware but stock internals. It may seem like a silly comparison but would like to get some light so I can decide to either go with the Z4 or a Shanling M3X. I'm comparing in terms of price-to-performance as I would assume if price no object, the M3X would skip ahead in terms of ease of use, daily navigation of media, and such.
In terms of use Shanling is light years ahead of Zishan. As a portable device is absolutely amazing.

Z4 have maximum audio performance and power for the price but it's like vintage player.
This is 2 completey different players.
It would be greate if You just compare this 2 devices side by side by yourself.
It will be difficult, but not impossible.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #159 of 620
You welcome.
I tested as well for fun 5.1 surround 24-bit 192kHz and 5.1 DSD 64 2.8224Mbit/s - yes all true 6 channels files and its work!
Processor achieves maximum utilization (full circle is red) LCD GPU is failing and have big funny interference like broken TV.
When it's stopped, interference disappear.
Device and playback is still running and audio is smooth without lagging :)
I guess you really tested it to the end :)) Well for such a small device in this price I wouldn't be disappointed at all. But it seems it doesn't support a usb output as a source to other dac/amp right? It worked fine though as a usb dac.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #160 of 620
I guess you really tested it to the end :)) Well for such a small device in this price I wouldn't be disappointed at all. But it seems it doesn't support a usb output as a source to other dac/amp right? It worked fine though as a usb dac.
Not it's not support :) Support coaxial out so it's good as a transport as well.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #161 of 620
In terms of use Shanling is light years ahead of Zishan. As a portable device is absolutely amazing.

Z4 have maximum audio performance and power for the price but it's like vintage player.
This is 2 completey different players.
It would be greate if You just compare this 2 devices side by side by yourself.
It will be difficult, but not impossible.
Thanks! It seems like Zishan's stuff are a real DIY/hobbyist gateway. I do have their AD3 amp and love it to bits. With the Z4, seems like Zishan is moving forward. But at the same time, really hoping they don't take away the ease of modding with the "all SMD" components build.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #162 of 620
@Amos Isaac
Z4 is more mature because it is really good from the begining about sound quality just need more time for firmware and buttons.

I have modded AD3 and it's interesting even more - Zishan A1 - similar to AD but without tube as preamp, instead offer Class A amp and better sound quality.

With Z4 in balanced mode no need to have any amp because it's powerfull for any full size headphones and very gentle with IEMs.

I hope I will run Z4 after fire.
I made houndrets of attempts on Zishans with success, and only one serious fail.
It's still 99% of effectiveness.
But they do the job, I'm learning how it's work and it's more interesting than full size desktop equipment who is much easier to build.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #164 of 620
@Amos Isaac
Z4 is more mature because it is really good from the begining about sound quality just need more time for firmware and buttons.

I have modded AD3 and it's interesting even more - Zishan A1 - similar to AD but without tube as preamp, instead offer Class A amp and better sound quality.

With Z4 in balanced mode no need to have any amp because it's powerfull for any full size headphones and very gentle with IEMs.

I hope I will run Z4 after fire.
I made houndrets of attempts on Zishans with success, and only one serious fail.
It's still 99% of effectiveness.
But they do the job, I'm learning how it's work and it's more interesting than full size desktop equipment who is much easier to build.
That is cool. I guess I should give the Z4 a try. Since it allows for "easier" modding. But will deffinitely keep the M3X in the list for future adventures. Thanks for your sharing!

Aug 12, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #165 of 620
Hello, I read somewhere that the z4 kas spdif coaxial out... So thst means I can use it with a chord mojo right ? If I have the correct cable?
Yes, 3,5 mm coaxial cable and enable DoP128 in options, but I don't have Z4 running right now so can't check by myself.
That is cool. I guess I should give the Z4 a try. Since it allows for "easier" modding. But will deffinitely keep the M3X in the list for future adventures. Thanks for your sharing!
According to measurements in thread and my experience, Z4 have wonderful sound as stock according to the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back