yup, yup, yup, It's another "Which headphones should i buy" thread
Oct 27, 2010 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Detach50

New Head-Fier

Hello everyone, my name is Detach.

I’ve been floating around the Head-Fi boards for about a year now.  I started here with headphones, because at the time it was the most affordable way for me to get the quality sound I wanted.  I did my research and eventually went with some Shure SE210 IEMs.  The have performed excellently with clear highs, good mids, and adequate, but not boomy bass.  However, I have demoted them to lawn duty, and am now in search of a good pair of circumaural headphones.  The IEMs are only tolerable for short periods of time, and they are frustrating to insert and remove when I want to talk to someone or vice versa.  Anyway, I’ve spent the past few months spending some of my college graduation money on a decent slightly low-budget HiFi system/Home theater system.  I did have an advantage in that my employer has accommodations with many electronics/speaker companies.  This is how I will be obtaining my next pair of headphones so please do stick with the ones that I have selected.
I have done some research on each model on Head-Fi, but would like something a little more focused towards the models I’m considering.

First, the headphones will be used 70-80% at home and will be powered by a Pioneer VSX-32 AVR.  I realize I may need a true headphone amplifier in the future, but the receiver will do me for now.  They will also be paired with a simple Cmoy amp for use on the road.  The audio source will be either an iPhone with a line out converter into the Cmoy, or direct USB connection to the receiver.  The files consist of some 320kbs MP3 files, but mostly of 1411kbs WAV/FLAC files.  Also CDs and LPs.  I listen to a broad spectrum of music, but I absolutely love classical music from the romantic period.  The headphones will be used for 60% classical and then a mix of R&B, Blues, Classic Rock, Prog Rock, and everything else.

What I look for in the sound is clear highs and mids without sounding harsh, and lows that you can feel without being boomy and muddy.   Take the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky for example;  the last 2-3 minutes where the church bells and canon’s come in.  I need to be able to hear the strike of each bell, hear the crack and boom of the canons, as well as the timbre of the timpani and bass drums.  Also, for example, I love Saint-Saens’ Symphony No.3.  Again in the last 2-3 minutes when the organ and instruments are playing balls-to-the-wall, I need to be able to hear it all at high volumes.  Basically, when the bass is goin in my classical music, I need to be able to clearly hear everything else.  My Shures have a little distortion during the grand finale.   A good soundstage is important too.

Now that I’ve written  a story, here are the models I’ve been looking at.

The AKG k242 or k272.  I prefer closed back headphones which is why I’ve been leaning towards the k272 in this case.  Each review has given both headphones good ratings

Pioneer SE-A1000 – I read on here that these are QUITE nice and very reasonably priced

Denon AH-D2000 – again I have read that these are a nice choice as well.

Monster Beats Pro - I have listened to all of the other monster headphones and they sounded ok for rap, and that's about it.  I'm shure it's the same story with these, but i'd like to see if anyone has any experience with them.

So, what do you guys think?  Which of these will give me what I am looking for in sound, as well as longevity and durability?

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #3 of 5

You seem to know your stuff, but did you mean the AD2000?  If so, then id go for that and never look back sir

Ah, yes I did mean d2000, I simply forgot a zero :p

Anyone else care to chime in?

The problem with a good hifi is that at night it's not that good and it doesn't provide the same listening experience when people are trying to sleep :).

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 5
sound colour is also a big factor.

d2000 and shure 840 are dark which sounds artificial.

AKG k242 and k272 are more natural, but each has their own quirks.

Apparently Audio Technical ath-a900 is quite good, as are some Ultrasones especially in terms of soundstage.  From memory the ad2000 had a decent soundstage, but my memory is fuzzy.

BUT I wouldn't recommend the AKG's for classical, thats for sure, they just sound boring compared to more musical headphones with better soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back