YULONG D-100 - WOW
Feb 3, 2011 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CARRION FEAST

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to headphones. After much reading and sifting through many cynical & convoluted reviews, opinions & statements as well as many honest, thoughtful & informative reviews on the pros & cons of various cans, dacs, amps, amp-dacs, lossless v vinyl, valves v solid-state.........et alia, I went EBay crazy and bought some Grado SR80i's. My iPhone 4 with lossless + GRADO's = WOW!! Can it get better?? Ordered k702's (apparently a noobie must have), HD800's, HD25-1 ii's, T50P's, Headstage Arrow, RE0's, an ONKYO ND-S1 and the Yulong D-100 (my wife is very understanding).
Most of this was purchased on faith, I'm normally a rational, logical and calculated person........but something hooked me.
Today I signed for the delivery of the D-100. I also bought a160gb iPod classic & converted my entire collection (Miles Davis to Daft Punk to the London Philharmonic and all in between) to apple lossless. iPod Classic + ND-S1 + YULONG D-100 + AKG K702's = ABSOLUTLY $&<#'n AMAZING!!!! Now I'm just waiting for the EBay wave to roll back in and deposit the rest of my orders. If the sound gets better than this I think I'm done for!!!
If you've read this I only hope you can appreciate that I had no idea how much better music could sound.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #3 of 10
I'm glad you are happy with your purchases, I haven't been on Head Fi for a while, but this post made me want to come back.

Because, I have an Onkyo ND-S1, plan on getting an Ipod Classic and Yulong D100 (Mainly to go balanced with my studio monitors), and I have AKG K-701 and also a HD650.

Once I get everything, I'll be able to have almost exactly the same configuration as you. i will definitely try it out for sure!

But gee, with HD800's you'll have a ball most definitely, enjoy your high end sound!

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #4 of 10

Thanks for the feedback! Yes am definitely looking forward to the HD800's. I have found the K702's do sound great and after trying the jacks & sound modes on the D-100, I think I find myself preferring the low impedance jack with sound mode 2, this seems to soften the higher end of the 702's sound, something I enjoy, but I am finding the brightness tires my ears after a couple of hours listening. I'm sure that down the track I'll try some different amps and sources, but for at least the next year or so I'm simply looking forward to playing around with all my new toys. Cheers! 

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi there, I'm new to HeadFi however I've been reading reviews and comments on here for months! I was wondering if you could give us an update on how the HD800's performed with the Yulong D100. I currently own the Denon D7000 and HD800 and I am using them with the Fiio E7/E9 Combo. Was just wondering if the Yulong D100 could drive the HD800's as they sound pretty lifeless with the Fiio Combo. The Denons sound great out of anything! Thanks

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 10
@enigma211088, it looks like your HD800's could use a big bump in power. Im not sure if the Yulong D100 is going to be sufficient enough as its a DAC and the headphone out isn't build for such headphones IMO.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 10
I have Yulong D100II and HD800 as well as AKG Q701.  IMHO the DAC of D100 is great but not the headphone amp.  The headphone amp. is on the bright side and if you use it with HD800 or Q701 I don't think you can listen for long even if you use mode 2 setting !!
BUT if you can buy a decent headphone amp. and connect to Yulong's analogue out it will be a different story.  I also found the XLR output sounds much more smooth than the RCA output.  If you don't have XLR inputs for your amp. or headphone amp. try using XLR to RCA converter and you will discover that it sounds better than the stock RCA output.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
I didn't like the Yulong D100 with my HD800..made the phones too harsh and sounded too analytical..couldn't stand it for long listening sessions so I returned it and got a D18 DAC..now I'm in heaven, excellent match with my V200 amp and HD800 I

I only found the headphone amp of the D100 bright but not too much on the DAC itself.
I also found the XLR out is smoother than the RCA.
BTW how do you find the SQ of D18 ? I am also seriously considering it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back