Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Mar 26, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #871 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They don't isolate at all. But they are really not designed to do that. But they have a big sound from a tiny bud, so I could see where they might do ok on an airplane. You might just have to turn your volume up a notch or 2.

Sounds like a good way to damage your hearing, if you really want something to isolate airplane cabin noise I would look into IEM's.

Mar 27, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #872 of 1,068
I was thinking of buying the pk1s but i heard that they need amping. I have a ipod touch 3rd gen and can only afford a amp of around 20-30$ beacuse pk1 are on top of my budget. I heard FiiO E1 is preaty good at amplifying the sound.
I'm a descent bass lover and i dont know if the pk1s are enough. i mostly listen to hip-hop/rock music.
Also i also heard the pk3 have good bass.

Thanks for any recomendations/Answers

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #873 of 1,068
I think it will give reasonable volume to PK1 if use with Itouch and overall it may not sound like same as hook up with high end portable AMPs. But some head-fiers pointed out PK1 sound good with most DAPs and AMPs even E1 will helps lot to sound better and loud enough.

Mar 27, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #874 of 1,068
so should i still stick to the pk1s? or should try pk3s without amp.
I am a bass lover and, this would be my first expencive headphones/earphones.
Also if u have any recomendations on any amps that'd be appriciated.

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #875 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by neco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a good way to damage your hearing, if you really want something to isolate airplane cabin noise I would look into IEM's.

Yep. That's why I would not recommend them as an ideal earbud for airplane usage.

Apr 14, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #876 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by hasanyuceer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have experience PK1 via Fiio E1?

Is Fiio E1/E3/E5 enough to amp PK1?

Hi, I have PK1 and fiio5. After 6 months of use /around 600 hours on both/ pk1 with this amp I must say that burn in of both results in stunning SQ, incredible compared to <150-250 hours and no comparision at all to <100 hours. PK1 sound like nothing before I am truly amazed
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #877 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by JuliusL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have PK1 and fiio5. After 6 months of use /around 600 hours on both/ pk1 with this amp I must say that burn in of both results in stunning SQ, incredible compared to <150-250 hours and no comparision at all to <100 hours. PK1 sound like nothing before I am truly amazed
smily_headphones1.gif

This is a combo I have been thinking about for a very long time. I have debated between PK1 or OK2 mostly due to the amp. What source are you using them on?

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #878 of 1,068
Well, my PK1's were delivered today. I sat at my desk during lunch and had them plugged into my S639, no amp. I have to say without an amp these are very uninspiring buds. I also have the PK2 and they are miles ahead when you are running straight off a source.

The only "portable" amp I currently own is the bithead from headroom. I don't and won't carry it with me though as I don't consider something that size to be portable. I am holding out for the E7 as I have read some good initial reviews. REALLY wish they would hurry up and release it.

These PK1's are REALLY POWER HUNGRY. My gosh. I typically listen to my PK2 on 9 or 10 volume setting. With no amp today, I had my volume set to 16 just to get it close to the same volume. But with the added volume did not come added sound. They are for sure warmer and the bass is a bit fuller. The soundstage is not in the same league as the PK2. It's not bad at all, but you don't get the same wide out of head feeling with these as you do the PK2.

I really can't wait to get these adequately amped so I know what I'm dealing with. Don't get me wrong, I like the initial sound, but when it's not amped, it's not what I was thinking it should have been.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #879 of 1,068
my Pk2 running on full potential
biggrin.gif

udac.jpg

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #880 of 1,068
Nice. I had been thinking about the E5 recently because I wanted to pick up the PK1. I did hook up the PK1's to my bithead last night. It made a huge difference. I still think the soundstage is smaller than the PK2. But I did not have time to A/B them either. I also think that the housing is a tiny bit smaller on the PK1.

But soundwise they really do come to life when they are amped. The headroom amp is too big to lug around though...so I will keep waiting for the E7.

Has anyone paired the E5 with the PK1? If so, was it sufficient enough to drive these little tanks? I guess it would be worth the 20 bucks while we're all waiting for the E7 to officially arrive.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #881 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by heishiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my Pk2 running on full potential
biggrin.gif

why arent you running them straight from the uDAC, it is a small amp aswell..?? Adding the e5 seems to be a useless idea.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #884 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, my PK1's were delivered today. I sat at my desk during lunch and had them plugged into my S639, no amp. I have to say without an amp these are very uninspiring buds. I also have the PK2 and they are miles ahead when you are running straight off a source.

The only "portable" amp I currently own is the bithead from headroom. I don't and won't carry it with me though as I don't consider something that size to be portable. I am holding out for the E7 as I have read some good initial reviews. REALLY wish they would hurry up and release it.

These PK1's are REALLY POWER HUNGRY. My gosh. I typically listen to my PK2 on 9 or 10 volume setting. With no amp today, I had my volume set to 16 just to get it close to the same volume. But with the added volume did not come added sound. They are for sure warmer and the bass is a bit fuller. The soundstage is not in the same league as the PK2. It's not bad at all, but you don't get the same wide out of head feeling with these as you do the PK2.

I really can't wait to get these adequately amped so I know what I'm dealing with. Don't get me wrong, I like the initial sound, but when it's not amped, it's not what I was thinking it should have been.

TBH be prepared for long burn in 500+ hours, you cannot compare brand new pk1 to burned pk2.
The main shortage i´ve found after I got my new pair is that thing, how to describe it? Well when you are listening to any track even amped there is that background in music like another layer of sound that I was missing to hear on new pair. /like orchestra in background etc./ But now after 500h+ its there and the whole tonality became perfect, soundstage is wider and deeper and there is plenty of details I have no complains at all
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #885 of 1,068
agree on 500hrs. and speaking about amps, i tried pk1 out of e5, minibox-d and ibassot3. overall, it seems only minibox could drive them adequatly, but it didn't sound very transparent and had too strong highs. i believe some good cmoy(like zigis) or pa2v (or whatever it is called) should be better with pk1 than fiio5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back