Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jan 14, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #841 of 1,068
@Equus

im already thinking to get a Pk3 for some headbanging moments, but still thinking
coz i might get an amp a few months more and im thinking for Pk1, i also want to ask
when it comes to SQ is it night and day diff on Pk2 and PK3? coz im thinking that Pk3
will give boomy bass but might lost alot of clarity and SQ.

Jan 21, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #842 of 1,068
update : PK2

after 200 hours of burn-in and using Sony dap, everything becomes better.
i love the SQ and now the bass is much better than before i think my old zen
is not good enough to drive the Pk2 and even my Ms1i. the dap change my hearing
experience and im fully in-love with my Pk2.

right now i became more curious about the Pk1, but i think its too expensive double the
price of the Pk2, i hope i can audition Pk1 when i already have a decent amp

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #844 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Costanza76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Long time lurker finally giving his opinion:

Received the PK1 yesterday, and I was in for a big surprice.

I mean; You guys have been singing the little buds praise like hell, but I wasn't prepared for this kind of quality sound from an earbud. The last bud I listened to was the old iBuds...

The sound is sooo open and airy, and the bottom end is really impressive and precise. Being used to the (high) standards of the SE530, I expected more of a drop in overall performance - but as for soundstage and airyness (brighter and less rolled off treble) I feel the PK1 is actually a (slight) improvement so far. Still the Shures are overall a better performer and probably less fatiguing over time, but the Yuins are really impressive performers.

And I still have only a few hours of burn-in done yet. Looking forward to the next 150-200 hours of improvement.

Sitting here at work enjoying my PK1 amped by an IBasso D10 with an Ipod Classic as source. The hours fly away
wink_face.gif

Anyway: These little buds are all I could ever ask for! They have burned in remarkably well, and the sound is now sooooo well-rounded and enjoyable. The treble settled first, and it is only recently lower frequencies gained some (needed) weight. Now it's pure audio bliss!!!

What to get next!? I'm already sorry for my wallet.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #845 of 1,068
Quote:

Sitting here at work enjoying my PK1 amped by an IBasso D10 with an Ipod Classic as source. The hours fly away
wink_face.gif

What to get next!? I'm already sorry for my wallet.

Grado 325?
wink.gif
i hope i can also have the Pk1 but i need an amp first.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #846 of 1,068
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Heh...laptop->IBasso D10->PK1 is how I got through work yesterday.

I agree, the treble became less "sparkly" somewhere near the 100 hour mark. I find sometimes if I listen to them at too low a volume I'm not that impressed, but then I crank it up a little and suddenly there's space and separation again. Still continues to surprise me now and again.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #847 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh...laptop->IBasso D10->PK1 is how I got through work yesterday.

I agree, the treble became less "sparkly" somewhere near the 100 hour mark. I find sometimes if I listen to them at too low a volume I'm not that impressed, but then I crank it up a little and suddenly there's space and separation again. Still continues to surprise me now and again.

Nice to know I'm not the only one finding the D10 + Pk1 combo to be working out well.

It's like the treble "dried out" a bit - less sibliant, yet it retained the level of detail and "airyness" on top that I love so much.

Right now I tend to reach for these little Yuin wonders even when I listen at home, relegating my SHR840 and SE530 to back-up status. (Then again, I have yet to fully burn in my the 840's... And there is something about the laid-back, non-fatiguing treble of the SE530s which was seductive at first, that now is rather annoying. I still enjoy them, and the mids are veeeery nice, but the lack of treble (Pk1-style) is leaving me wanting more.

I've been a head-fi'er for about a year now (lurking around most of the time), and it's beginning to show (on my CC statements
biggrin.gif
).

Next up: MS1 (I think... any Pk1-owners who have these babies: please feel free to compare and comment).

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #848 of 1,068
Just thought I'd chime in here. I bought Pk2's for my girlfriend as a birthday present. She's very happy with them, so that's cool. After wearing them and listening to them a hole day, I also appreciated them enough to buy Pk1 for myself (the amping issue made me choose PK2 for my girlfriend). I really dig the Yuin sound (also very fond of G2a). Clarity, detail, speed - and still relaxed enough so you can listen for hours. It's not like you can compare them to the comfortable and FULL sound of good full size cans like hd650 (new version, brighter, no veil) or something like that, but you kind of get the idea. Actually I think my PK1's are a nice miniature of my HD650. I amp PK1 with iBasso T4 and like the synergy. The T4 has a bass boost and is over all a little bit dark sounding. I think that suits PK1 great (for my taste at least) :)

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #849 of 1,068
Bla Bla Bla.. me complaining and acting disappointed about Yuin PK2...

Temporarily deleted message because I was trying to sell the Yuins which turned out to be impossible in my country (Denmark)

message ended with me saying that I might have to eat my words later...
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:28 PM Post #850 of 1,068
Well, I have no experience with the Sansa generics, but it is true that there are generics out there that are quite capable. As we know, as well, there's the law of diminishing returns that plays out almost by the book when you're talking about audio equipment. That being said, yeah let them burn in a bunch and see. My PK1's changed with burn in and still change significantly depending on the source. The PK2's, from everything I've read, aren't as much of a pain to drive so they shouldn't be as picky about source, but the quality of the feed may make a difference too.

Feb 25, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #851 of 1,068
The Sansa earbuds must be really good. I rate my PK2's above my Grado SR60i by quite a margin. They required very little to no burn in at all. I run them straight out of my S639. But I could certainly see if the stock earbuds that came with your clip are of high quality then the sound could be very incremental, and thus not justifying the 79 dollars that they cost.

I also agree about the foam pads. They are SOOOOOOOO hard to put on!! Especially the ones with the centers cut out. Took a lot of patience with those.

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #852 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rate my PK2's above my Grado SR60i by quite a margin.
I also agree about the foam pads. They are SOOOOOOOO hard to put on!! Especially the ones with the centers cut out. Took a lot of patience with those.

in my ears, MS1i and PK2 almost sounds the same both laidback, clear details
great soundstage and not so boomy bass but its there.

stretching those foam pads before you put in will help a little, dont worry
about tearing it up they are durable.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #853 of 1,068
Have now formed a more detailed opinion about Yuin PK2...

They are actually a little better than my Grado sr60 (non I). lol my Grados now sound a little flat in comparison.

Must admit that the PK2's are pretty good. Reminds me a lot of the Grado sound. I guess I was just hoping for something more. Bigger soundstage and perhaps a little deeper bass to make the sound more full bodied.

Just came across this thread: 7 best earbuds rated and fear I overlooked these Audio-Technica ATH-CM700 which is actually 10$ cheaper.

Should perhaps have bought the PK1's but was discouraged by the info that they needed to be amped as my use is 100% portable

Now contemplating either buying the ATH-CM700 too or joining the dark side and buy Sennhesier IE 8 to get the big soundstage.

Please someone tell me that ATH-CM700 sound like crap in comparison with PK2
redface.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #854 of 1,068
Currently running PK3's from a Sansa clip and RSA Tomahawk amp. The sound is very good to my ears and I prefer them to my Grado SR60's. Unfortunately I've been bitten by the upgrade bug and have my eyes set on a pair of PK1's.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on whether the RSA Tomahawk would be strong enough to power the PK1's. I've read that the sound starts to clip at high volume with this earphone+amp combo however if this is the case I would look into acquiring the RSA P-51 Mustang. To be honest though I'd prefer not to have to spend an extra $300+ on an amp to get the most out the PK1's. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #855 of 1,068
why not protector ? people report better results with amps that have more voltage, but if you only need volume then any amp will do. for me , halfway volume wheel on sansa fuze is enough, but everyone listens differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back