Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jan 11, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #826 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh, I just got mine on Saturday. With about 24 hours of burn in with pink noise and just listening to them, I'm liking them a lot. Out of the box I already was surprised by the separation and positioning of music sources. The bass has gotten a little punchier since I last listened to it, but it may be because I'm using a 2Move right now rather than the D10 I use at home. There is also a brightness in the treble that I was worried might become fatiguing, but I haven't had a real problem so far. I'm waiting until there's some more burn-in on the PK1 before I do some comparisons for myself with my PK3. Being harder to drive, the volume knob is far higher with the PK1, but I'm also so far finding the PK1's more distracting while I'm using them at work.

Hi Equus,
Are you saying that your were surprised at the separation / position of music even though you have been listening to PK3. Are PK1 that much better? Are you using an amp?

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #827 of 1,068
@Akash - Pretty much. I was pleasantly surprised in comparison to my limited experience (mostly PK3 and ESW9). Straight out of the box I plugged them into my bedroom rig (SB Classic->Ibasso D10 via digital coax) and the thought that went through my head was "Yui's guitar is right there", as if I could point at it rather than wave my hand in a general direction. I hesitate to say they're "better" than the PK3's, since they have many many hours of burn-in and I'm giving the PK1's some time to settle and I honestly haven't listened to my PK3's on that set-up for a long time.

Amp-wise, I use the equipment I posted above at home, and at work I use my laptop->Corda 2Move via USB and using AC power. They both give some really nice bass impact...not thumping or teeth rattling, but it sounds nice and clean. For giggles, I just popped them directly into my D2. It can drive them pretty well, though it may be my imagination, but the bass doesn't feel as tight (so could be the rolloff). Treble also doesn't have the same sparkle. Both sources are running of the same kind of source file (ogg), by the way, since my laptop had it's music loaded up from the D2. My home stuff runs off mostly FLAC.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #828 of 1,068
I use only PK3 at the moment, not got my PK1 yet.
But PK3 are just amazing....
I'm not too bothered about the loudness of an earbud but SQ.
@ Equus: What you mean by you being distracted by pk1 while at work?

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #829 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by heishiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the tip
smile.gif
im glad yours still working for a year
some feedbacks i read just 3-6 months one of the drivers stop working
and some issues on the jack

My two cents about that:

I have been using a pair of PK2 for over a year now. They are *really* durable. I sleep with them every night and I threw my Fuze wearing this earphones a lot of times. They work flawless, just as the first day I got them. Maybe I should point that the logo - "pk2" written in the sides - is gone but that shouldn't be a big problem. Fantastic earbuds for practical people: easy to wear, balanced sound and well constructed. I would get PK1 but that high impedance is a big problem for my everyday life.

TY head-fi!
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #830 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@ Equus: What you mean by you being distracted by pk1 while at work?

I think the PK1's are a little more...involving. They make me want to listen to the music. The PK3's are fun but are easier for me to tune out. For fun, I just plugged my PK3's in, and unsurprisingly they don't have the same extension, separation, or feeling of airiness which makes them, at this point, sound a little "flatter". Later I'll try to A/B them with my D2 and the set-up at home.

EDIT - by the way, it seems that some of the performance difference with the D2 may be DAC related. It doesn't sound as good even with my D2 hooked up to the 2Move as it does feeding via USB and using ASIO.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #831 of 1,068
thanks sir mudo! i hope my pk2 will also serve my ears for a long time.
i burned-in it with pink noise for 26 hours and now still burning with heavy disco tracks
i hope the bass will improve, coz i find it a little lack on the boom boom side.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #832 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Equus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the PK1's are a little more...involving. They make me want to listen to the music. The PK3's are fun but are easier for me to tune out. For fun, I just plugged my PK3's in, and unsurprisingly they don't have the same extension, separation, or feeling of airiness which makes them, at this point, sound a little "flatter". Later I'll try to A/B them with my D2 and the set-up at home.

EDIT - by the way, it seems that some of the performance difference with the D2 may be DAC related. It doesn't sound as good even with my D2 hooked up to the 2Move as it does feeding via USB and using ASIO.

Hey Equus,

Just got my PK1, they arrived and I'm listening to them now.

Don't know how much burn-in they have had, since I bought them second hand but in mint condition.

My PK3 have had over 2000hrs burn-in and they do sound amazing, but PK1 have more clarity. I think things can only get better now the more I use the PK1. WOW!

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #833 of 1,068
Yeah, I did a comparison with my ESW9's last night, and I think the PK1's are more refined in several areas. The bass seemed tighter and the treble seemed clearer and brighter. Whether this is necessarily a "better" thing is probably subjective, especially the brighter part.

Overall, I'm liking these a lot. They may end up replacing my ESW9 much of the time in the bedroom rig, just because it's easier to lie down with these on. Only downside is it's not as easy to tell L from R as the ESW9s, since I angled the cups.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #834 of 1,068
am i the only one that is not satisfied with the Pk2's bass response?

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #836 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by heishiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i the only one that is not satisfied with the Pk2's bass response?

Pair it with an amp (doesn't have to be expensive; even something cheap like a Fiio will do) to get that extra weight in the bass area. Or if you have a DAP with a good EQ (like the Sonys), they help as well. But overall it's definitely not the earbud for bassheads; you're much better off to go with PK3's instead for that purpose.

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #837 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pair it with an amp (doesn't have to be expensive; even something cheap like a Fiio will do) to get that extra weight in the bass area. Or if you have a DAP with a good EQ (like the Sonys), they help as well. But overall it's definitely not the earbud for bassheads; you're much better off to go with PK3's instead for that purpose.

i have a FiiO E5, it add bass but i feel its not the bass that i want..
i like the Pk2's SQ but a bit lacking.. im not sure about the Pk3's SQ
it might better in bass im not sure about the rest.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #838 of 1,068
I've tried the PK3 for extended periods before and its resolution and their detail definitely isn't up to the PK2 levels, but they do throw down heavier bass (and is a good earbud overall; it's not like they are totally muffled or anything). Nonetheless, short of upgrading to PK1 or OK series I'd think that you'll have to make some sacrifices somewhere.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #839 of 1,068
^ hmm i think so.. either i choose good SQ or good bass
ill stick with Pk2 for a while im still aiming to have a sony dap and
i hope sony can drive it better than my zen and add more boom

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #840 of 1,068
Agree with K_19. Like I mentioned earlier, I think the PK3's are "thumpier" in bass, but the PK1's are much more refined. Honestly, I probably wouldn't have noticed the slightly muddy sound from the PK3 if I hadn't done an A/B with the PK1.

I assume you've tried adjusting the way the PK2 is sitting your ear already. It doesn't make as much of a difference with the PK3, but if I don't properly seat the PK1 in my ears I lose most/all of the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back