Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jan 4, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #467 of 1,068
Thought I would stop by to show some love to my Yuin-PK2.

Thanks to these babies, I stopped frequenting Head-Fi for many, many months. I only came back because I'm looking for bass-shy clip-ons [EM9/W9?] to complete my collection (already have ATH-AD900 as the 'ultimate', MDR-V6 for winter, KSC-75 on the rare occasions where I want some bass and PK2 as the all-round earphones).

The only gripe I have is the cord length. It just seems a tad too long compared to other portables I've owned, making it easier to snag on things, so I'll have to be extra careful when I wear them.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #468 of 1,068
My PK1s should be arriving in the mail today. I'll put it through the paces this weekend (sans any burn-in, which I'm not a big believer in, but what the heck?). Unfortunately, for office use, I've just got my old Go-Vibe V5, which I've never been too impressed with. At home, they should get some love with 0404 USB-Heed combo.

Pico on order for final pairing with PK1. I can't wait!

Will post any impressions.

Jan 4, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #469 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My PK1s should be arriving in the mail today. I'll put it through the paces this weekend (sans any burn-in, which I'm not a big believer in, but what the heck?). Unfortunately, for office use, I've just got my old Go-Vibe V5, which I've never been too impressed with. At home, they should get some love with 0404 USB-Heed combo.

Pico on order for final pairing with PK1. I can't wait!

Will post any impressions.

What type of burn-in have you got planned?

Jan 4, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #470 of 1,068
The thought of burning in came from a few posts here. I think 150 hours was the highest number mentioned for the PK1 (but I may be confusing it with something else I read).

Basically, I'm just going to put them on and listen, and when I don't have them on, they'll be playing random tracks from iTunes. Nothing special.

Same thing I did with HD650s (and my recently sold DT990s). After a week or so, I'll start to listen more critically and make sweeping assessments and wild judgments.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously... after four hours of listening, I think the PK1s are really nice. Comfy, blandly designed, well packaged... everything described here. Nothing has jumped out as GREAT! or AWFUL! (like with Vibe Duo, for instance). But I do anticipate a long relationship with these.

Will be trying with Heed after dinner and putting daughter to sleep. Wife's out of town, so there should be uninterrupted listening. Oh yeah!

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #471 of 1,068
How do the pk2's compare to grado sr80's? I have sr80s and am looking to buy the pk2s because the are more comfortable than iem's and more portable than grados.

thanks

Jan 5, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #472 of 1,068
There are people who make the comparison. I didn't own my PK2s long enough to compare to the SR80s, but some folks say they are comparable sound sig-wise. I recently matched my SR80s against all my IEMs, and I have to say, none could deliver the detail the SR80s delivered (I modded mine with the tapped bowls, for extra bass). If I could find an IEM/ear bud/canal phone that sounds "exactly" like the Grado, I'd buy it in a second (as long as it didn't cost more than $200, my spending limit for phones).

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #473 of 1,068
Are the pk1s and 2s shipped from china if you buy them from headroom? The shipping time should be improved over head-direct's ship time.

thanks

Jan 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #474 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmageshazam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are the pk1s and 2s shipped from china if you buy them from headroom? The shipping time should be improved over head-direct's ship time.

thanks

I've got mine from TTVJ and they were shipped from US on the day of purchase. I suppose it's the same with Headroom.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #475 of 1,068
Just got my pk1+minibox setup and I have to say I am very pleased with it overall. The pk1 sounds great, noticing instruments and sounds I just couldn't hear before with the pk3 playing particular songs. If the ear bud style is important to you , I would definitely recommend the pk1.

Jan 8, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #477 of 1,068
Just got a pair of Pk1s from a fellow head-fier. They are indeed remarkable for earbuds! Very rich and full sound, even unamped (trying them now amped through my Portaphile, and there is unsurprisingly better detail and very full bass response). And soundstage I never would have thought possible from an in-ear phone.

I seem to recall seeing some suggestions for different pads. I'm using the donuts now, and will experiment with the others that came in the package, but any advice or links would be welcome.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:34 AM Post #478 of 1,068
Ordered a pair of PK1 from head-direct as backup and upgrade to my PK2 - ATH-EW9 just have too many negative/blah impressions from head-fi'ers, and I'm not that hard up for clip ons.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if recabling the PK2/PK1 is possible? The cables near the headphone end of my PK2 has hardened up and I'm afraid it'll start cracking.

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #480 of 1,068
Yay, my pk1s are fixed. I was the one who ran over my pk1s with my car. I bent some of the plastic to align it as close as possible then used epoxy seal the cracks. Then I gave it a listen, and MAN do I miss the sound quality of these little suckas! I had to use the pk3s and akgk14p as back up, but these buds are just okay in comparison. Can't wait to get a XIN amp now. Sad days are over
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back