Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Dec 18, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #436 of 1,068
I got my PK2s yesterday. WOW!!! They sound great right out of the box, so I can only imagine they'll improve after some listening. (I like to listen while they're burning in.) I was a little concerned after reading that they lack bass, but I find the bass to be quite pleasing. Maybe it's because I'm definitely not a basshead. Beautiful mids and highs too. And soundstage. On an earbud!!
I'd also like to mention the incredibly quick shipping. I ordered Thursday, they shipped on Friday, and I got them Monday. That's some quality service. So, if you happen to read this, Fang, thank you!
I originally got these for work only, since my dad jacked my PX100s, but I think I'll be listening to the PK2s a lot more than only at work. I can't imagine a better sounding earbud. I'd like to get the PK1/Minibox combo eventually, but I'm in no rush.
Oh hey, this is my first post! I've been lurking here for weeks, reading, learning, and it was this thread that convinced me to buy the PK2.
Well, off to listen to them some more. I'm one happy girl!
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #440 of 1,068
Nice to see new Yuin converts. And by all means, someday treat yourself to the PK1-MiniboxE+ combo. Best money I ever spent on gear. Of course, you always need a pair of IEMs for loud environments, but the Minibox will make them sound fantastic too.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #441 of 1,068
Well unfortunately I chose the PK2's for a portable "beater" solution, ie. when I'm on the bus, so when people pass by with their freaking backpacks and catch one of my IEM wires, my ear doesn't get torn off as well (happened to me a couple of times). So that's why I don't have the luxury of carrying an amp. I was considering the Biosciencegeek amps, since they do look quite portable, but meh. Decided to save the money.

Dec 18, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #442 of 1,068
Im thinking of getting some pk2s (cant afford pk1s) but have a few Qs:

1) does anyone know a good site that will ship to UK?

2) Whats the bass like? a few people have said its lacking and im a bit of a bass head (i already own DT770pros).

3) hows the cord length? Im 6'4". Nuff said.

thx in adv.

Dec 18, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #443 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by Origami /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2) Whats the bass like? a few people have said its lacking and im a bit of a bass head (i already own DT770pros).

thx in adv.

The cord is ample for you.

Since the buds don't seal, you wont like the bass if you're a basshead.

I'd say PK2 + custom molds, or something else other than a bud style.

Dec 18, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #444 of 1,068
Quote:

thx in adv.

1) YUIN PK1 PK2 PK3 Hifi Stereo Earphones Earbuds - UK & Europe (EU) representative :: Index
The price is £34.50 + £1 P&P until Christmas, rising to £39.50 after 25 Dec.

2) As the DT770 Pro is fairly bass heavy, the PK2s will seem lacking in comparison. However, at the sub £40 price level, there aren't that many choices available. (Sennheiser CX300s might suit you better bass-wise but you will lose out elsewhere. Alternatives might include JVC FX66s or Mylarone X3s)

3) My PK1s measure almost 5' from jack to earbud. I think PK2s are around 4' so the cord length should be fine.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #446 of 1,068
Got my Yuin PK1s today, here is what I think.

Firstly, I found that with the Tomahawk, they weren't too happy. I've had to set the Tomahawk to high gain, and with a volume at around 12 o'clock, I am enjoying it, but it still isn't WOW. I am not sure if it's my Tomahawk, or the music I am listening to, but I am not to overjoyed. I am also using the 'donut' pads, but I am concerned as to whether the sound gets affected if they are not 100% with the hole in the centre of the bud. I have notice clipping in my right ear-bud which I am not too happy about, these were bought second hand.

It's a great bud, no doubt, but still, I wasn't blown away as I thought I would have expected. They sound very similar to that of my Grado SR80s.

Newsbreak: OH MY GOD! Within Temptation - Jillian - in total ALAC lossless has just come up and WOW, the beginning orchestral choir blew me away. This has led me to understand that my music that is under the lossless quality may not shine.

So, I shall try another, totally different genre'd lossless track: Delta Goodrem - A Little Too Late. Wow, intro guitars are brilliant, and her voice is just amazing. This bud is very balanced, treats each part of the track (lows, mids and highs) with great justice.

Comfort: great, very light, the donut foam pads are nice, the cord has zero microphonics, and is not stubborn or memory prone (doesn't stay shape if rolled up or anything).

Build: they look nice, clean and professional, and seem quite sturdy.

Sound -
Isolation: this is a bud, can't expect to have isolation as great as my UE's, but, they aren't as open as that of my SR80s.
Leakage: there is a slight leakage of noise, will be heard in total silence, I can listen at an enjoyable level without disturbing those around me.
Clarity: as discussed earlier, the clarity of the music really depends on the source itself, if I am listening to Lossy music then I am definitely not going to enjoy it as much as I would Lossless music.
Soundstage: I used The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby to experiment with the soundstage, and I was quite pleased. You can feel the sounds and instruments coming from different areas. They don't feel like 2 speakers playing in my ears, they feel like the Beatles in my head!
Bass: I used a trance/techno song to test this out, but as I mentioned the clipping/crackling on bass, it wasn't very enjoyable. There was a great bass presence, nice, punchy, without harming any other aspect of the track. Very impressive at the output of this earbud!
Overall: Amped, this sounds amazing, however, was a bit concerned as to why, at first, these sonded, to put it bluntly, like crap. Maybe they needed a few minutes to open up, or I just needed to get used to the sound, but I really like these earphones, feel like fullsize cans, but despite their not so attractive looks, and substantial price-tag, they are worth it!

These are the same songs (all lossless except What a Wonderful World) I used to test out my SF5's (Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Impressions), I will listen to them all again with the PK1s:

Delta Goodrem - Brave Face
Nice and crisp beats fro the drum, and brilliant vocals. Her voice sounds absolutely amazing, background singers sound awesome as well. Very very clear, her voice reaches some highs and sound absolutely brilliant! No sibilance, again, you can hear the detail in her voice, its amazing!

Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World
Wow, like the previous song, you can really appreciate the artists voice in detail, and for anyone that has heard this song, Louis' voice is wonderful, and all the instruments, especially the piano is very nicely detailed - still feeling that clipping/crackling in my right ear, really not helping me
frown.gif

Sakin - Braveheart Theme (Trance Remix)
Starts off with some violinistic highs which sound great, then bang, into the doof. Nice, not very deep bass, but nicely shaped, and soft. Can't compare the bass of the PK1 with my SF5's, the PK1s tend to keep everything in balance.

Linkin Park - What I've Done
Can definitely feel the sondstage, with the drums being 'far' away. Guitars sound great, again, very laidback, and well rounded sound. Vocals are nice, crisp and natural, not overpowered by the instruments. You can pinpoint instruments, like I can isolate where certein instruments are coming from - very nice

Enya - Only Time
Very natural vocals, wow, amazing. Instruments sound perfect, just amazing. Really cannot word how good the PK1s treat this song, it's mainly vocal, which are just dealt with so well. Wow!

Final Thought:
I am really enjoying these, feel like my SR80s, but without the heftyness, I am only upset at the fault in the right earpiece that results in the crackling/clipping on the bass, and even when the track has loud parts/peaks in the volume. I'd say, if it weren't for this, I'd be very very happy with them!

Update: In regards to the clipping, i am sending back to get a replacement pair - yay!

Dec 19, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #447 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Firstly, I found that with the Tomahawk, they weren't too happy. I've had to set the Tomahawk to high gain, and with a volume at around 12 o'clock, I am enjoying it, but it still isn't WOW. I am not sure if it's my Tomahawk, or the music I am listening to, but I am not to overjoyed. I am also using the 'donut' pads, but I am concerned as to whether the sound gets affected if they are not 100% with the hole in the centre of the bud. I have notice clipping in my right ear-bud which I am not too happy about, these were bought second hand.

It's a great bud, no doubt, but still, I wasn't blown away as I thought I would have expected. They sound very similar to that of my Grado SR80s.

Newsbreak: OH MY GOD! Within Temptation - Jillian - in total ALAC lossless has just come up and WOW, the beginning orchestral choir blew me away. This has led me to understand that my music that is under the lossless quality may not shine.

So, I shall try another, totally different genre'd lossless track: Delta Goodrem - A Little Too Late. Wow, intro guitars are brilliant, and her voice is just amazing. This bud is very balanced, treats each part of the track (lows, mids and highs) with great justice.

Comfort: great, very light, the donut foam pads are nice, the cord has zero microphonics, and is not stubborn or memory prone (doesn't stay shape if rolled up or anything).

Sound -
Isolation: this is a bud, can't expect to have isolation as great as my UE's, but, they aren't as open as that of my SR80s.
Leakage: there is a slight leakage of noise, will be heard in total silence, I can listen at an enjoyable level without disturbing those around me.
Clarity: as discussed earlier, the clarity of the music really depends on the source itself, if I am listening to Lossy music then I am definitely not going to enjoy it as much as I would Lossless music.
Soundstage: I used The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby to experiment with the soundstage, and I was quite pleased. You can feel the sounds and instruments coming from different areas. They don't feel like 2 speakers playing in my ears, they feel like the Beatles in my head!
Bass: I used a trance/techno song to test this out, but as I mentioned the clipping/crackling on bass, it wasn't very enjoyable. There was a great bass presence, nice, punchy, without harming any other aspect of the track. Very impressive at the output of this earbud!
Overall: Amped, this sounds amazing, however, was a bit concerned as to why, at first, these sonded, to put it bluntly, like crap. Maybe they needed a few minutes to open up, or I just needed to get used to the sound, but I really like these earphones, feel like fullsize cans, but despite their not so attractive looks, and substantial price-tag, they are worth it!

These are the same songs (all lossless except What a Wonderful World) I used to test out my SF5's (Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Impressions), I will listen to them all again with the PK1s:

Nice and crisp beats fro the drum, and brilliant vocals. Her voice sounds absolutely amazing, background singers sound awesome as well. Very very clear, her voice reaches some highs and sound absolutely brilliant! No sibilance, again, you can hear the detail in her voice, its amazing!

Wow, like the previous song, you can really appreciate the artists voice in detail, and for anyone that has heard this song, Louis' voice is wonderful, and all the instruments, especially the piano is very nicely detailed - still feeling that clipping/crackling in my right ear, really not helping me
frown.gif

Starts off with some violinistic highs which sound great, then bang, into the doof. Nice, not very deep bass, but nicely shaped, and soft. Can't compare the bass of the PK1 with my SF5's, the PK1s tend to keep everything in balance.

Can definitely feel the sondstage, with the drums being 'far' away. Guitars sound great, again, very laidback, and well rounded sound. Vocals are nice, crisp and natural, not overpowered by the instruments. You can pinpoint instruments, like I can isolate where certein instruments are coming from - very nice

Enya - Only Time
Very natural vocals, wow, amazing. Instruments sound perfect, just amazing. Really cannot word how good the PK1s treat this song, it's mainly vocal, which are just dealt with so well. Wow!

Final Thought:
I am really enjoying these, feel like my SR80s, but without the heftyness, I am only upset at the fault in the right earpiece that results in the crackling/clipping on the bass, and even when the track has loud parts/peaks in the volume. I'd say, if it weren't for this, I'd be very very happy with them!

Nice review, thanks. Buying them used might have been a risk, with that right channel issue. I haven't had that type of thing come up. I might try to get my money back and buy them new, if it's that much of a problem.

Dec 19, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #448 of 1,068
PK1 should not crackling/clipping. I believe you got a defective one. Contact your seller for replacement if you brought it new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sound -

frown.gif

Enya - Only Time

Final Thought:

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #449 of 1,068
Quote:

Thanks for the replies, I think i will go for the pk2s, as I would prefer earbuds to IEMs, and I don't think its likely I will find anything rivaling them in this price range.

Kiss bass goodbye.

Dec 19, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #450 of 1,068
Got my PK1s from Head-fi sponsor (THANKS Tyll!) about a week ago...have been listening to them at work. Using iPod (sampled at 320) + pocket dock out + Super Mini Moy = 'Berry, 'berry happy man!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back