Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jul 6, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #151 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chadbang, go buy one for yourself

I own PK2's and these have very natural sound signature and surprising amount of detail for an earbud; they may look cheap but they're definitely worth it.
My friend and I both agree these are well worth the bang, and we've heard quite a few headphones and IEM's.

this is the exact same here. You really need to hear the earbuds before making any judgments.

Jul 6, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #153 of 1,068
well, since i'm incapable of telling the difference between 320 and lossless (and really doubt that very many people can), it's hard to say...

but i CAN say that the pk1's (even when amped with a cheap t2 ibasso amp) sound VERY good...

and i can tell you that when my wife first plugged her pk2's in, there was a "HOLY &$&$&" reaction, and that from someone who isn't prone to over-reaction...

what something "looks like" has ZERO relationship to how something "sounds"... if it does, that's psychoacoustics at work...

Jul 7, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #154 of 1,068
I put a little more thought into chadbang's comment about yuin owners being "deluded".

Over promotion or FOTM of headphones is much less likely here because this normally occurs when a product is:

1. A new product from a brand name manufacturer.

2. Incredibly cheap, and draws the supposedly "great sound on the cheap" contingent.

3. Has a great looks that draws the style hounds.

None of these apply here...go figure
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #155 of 1,068
I got my PK-1 today and have been listening for a while now. They are clear and dynamic. Not sure yet about the bass but I am willing to give it some time. Using 1g Shuffle and iBasso T2 to feed it.

P1010014.png

Jul 8, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #156 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my PK-1 today and have been listening for a while now. They are clear and dynamic. Not sure yet about the bass but I am willing to give it some time. Using 1g Shuffle and iBasso T2 to feed it.

Don't forget to burn them in. They aren't bass monsters, but I find the bass they do have to be pleasantly tight and punchy.

Jul 8, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #158 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by lac29 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PK1 vs PK2 ... is the price increase worth it? How are they different?

X2??????

PK1 vs. PK2 unamped... same? or PK1 is a lot better???

Jul 8, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #160 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by glct222 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WONDERING HOW MUCH BETTER PK1 COMPARE PK2

apparently they are significantly better: better bass and more detailed is what I have heard. They can be driven straight out of an mp3 player and do sound a little better than the pk2's, but they really shine when amped.

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #161 of 1,068
having listened to both for a week or so now out of various ipods...

imo (and the opinion of swmbo), the pk1's amped are *considerably* better than the pk2's... however, if someone was going to go un-amped exclusively, the pk2 is probably the better option, and spend the additional cash on music... i don't feel the 1's are worth the premium over the 2's unless amped... my opinion only, and that plus a buck seventy five gets you a cup of coffee at dunkin' donuts...
smily_headphones1.gif

if you already have an amp, it's no big deal, but if you don't, you need to factor that into the price difference (and a dock, etc.)...

Jul 9, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #162 of 1,068
ok, im wondering about neutrality, or coloration or the sort of "stance" these phones take (ie aggressive, laid back, etc.)

Ive read people say they are very neutral, and also that the highs and mids are grado like. To me, these 2 qualities are contradicting, as grados have VERY aggresive treble to these ears.

If a cheap reference can is needed, is it more like the ksc 75 or the ksc 35? (the 35 being more "laid back" and the 75 being more "aggressive")

is there a difference between the pk1 vs pk2 in this regard?

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #163 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put a little more thought into chadbang's comment about yuin owners being "deluded".

Over promotion or FOTM of headphones is much less likely here because this normally occurs when a product is:

1. A new product from a brand name manufacturer.

2. Incredibly cheap, and draws the supposedly "great sound on the cheap" contingent.

3. Has a great looks that draws the style hounds.

None of these apply here...go figure
icon10.gif

Someday I'll have to make a Head-fi meet and hear these. I'm a natural skeptic. I have heard nice earbuds, though. I used to own Sony E888s, but I forget why I went off them and gave them away. I think it was when I switched to HD600s. Alway regret giving those E888s to a friend...

frown.gif

Oh, AND THAT WAS MY 4000TH POST. Glad I was positive about it. LONG LIVE HEAD-FI!
lambda.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #164 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok, im wondering about neutrality, or coloration or the sort of "stance" these phones take (ie aggressive, laid back, etc.)

The PK1s are a little bit laid back I would say. Smooth but not sparkling highs. Recessed vocals. Mids could be separated a bit better but are generally excellent. Bass is powerful and meaty, but still with a fair bit of texture and control. After plenty of burn in it is nicely controlled too - not "Sony" tight bass but not flabby either, just right really.

All in all they are good fun to listen too. None fatiguing both in sound and fit, and very involving. It's easy to lie back and forget you are wearing them and just enjoy the sound. More than once I have gone to remove my Sennys after listening, only to realise it was the PK1s!

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #165 of 1,068
Here's my dilemma:

I currently have Grado SR60s, in addition to several other headphones, and I was considering either:
A) selling them and upgrading to the Alessandro MS-1s
B) Recabling them and doing various other mods (mostly for fun and learning, though the improved SQ would be nice too)
C) Selling them and buying Pk1s

I would use them out of either:
MacBook Pro > HeadRoom Total Bithead
iPhone/2G iPod nano > Cmoy
iPhone/2G iPod nano unamped

any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back