Yuin PK1-PK2 impressions thread
Jul 12, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #166 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by snozle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my dilemma:

I currently have Grado SR60s, in addition to several other headphones, and I was considering either:
A) selling them and upgrading to the Alessandro MS-1s
B) Recabling them and doing various other mods (mostly for fun and learning, though the improved SQ would be nice too)
C) Selling them and buying Pk1s

A) Good idea
B) Don't expect much there...
C) Good idea

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #167 of 1,068
Quote:

Here's my dilemma:

I currently have Grado SR60s, in addition to several other headphones, and I was considering either:
A) selling them and upgrading to the Alessandro MS-1s
B) Recabling them and doing various other mods (mostly for fun and learning, though the improved SQ would be nice too)
C) Selling them and buying Pk1s

I would use them out of either:
MacBook Pro > HeadRoom Total Bithead
iPhone/2G iPod nano > Cmoy
iPhone/2G iPod nano unamped

any suggestions?

If you like the Grado forward sound, PK1s might not be the best bet, but if you like what you have heard about the PK1s in this thread then I can't recommend them enough for portable use.

Are you in the UK? Hui of Yuin loans out PK1s, that's how I first heard them.

With the iPod nano and Cmoy the PK1s will sound fantastic. Even just from the nano alone they will be good.

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #169 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the Grado forward sound, PK1s might not be the best bet, but if you like what you have heard about the PK1s in this thread then I can't recommend them enough for portable use.

Are you in the UK? Hui of Yuin loans out PK1s, that's how I first heard them.

With the iPod nano and Cmoy the PK1s will sound fantastic. Even just from the nano alone they will be good.

I live in the US; does Hui only loan them to those residing in the UK?

Jul 14, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #170 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellybones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just joined the club. Loving the PK2's. J-Cord and all.

Just joined too. Also loving the PK-2's. Y-Cord here.
biggrin.gif

Looking to get something higher end ($800+) @ the end of the year, just can't figure out which to pick...

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #171 of 1,068
Quote:

I live in the US; does Hui only loan them to those residing in the UK?

Yeah, I think so. Maybe they have a US distributor?

I have to say, it's really good of Yuin to loan out phones for auditions. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the UK it is virtually impossible to audition headphones. Most HiFi shops only carry a really limited range anyway. Speakers, sure, but not headphones.

I would probably never have bought the PK1s if I had not auditioned. It's nice to see a company that appreciates and works with the customers, instead of the usual UK attitude of distrust and maximum fleecing.

Jul 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #172 of 1,068
I just got my PK2's and they sound great straight out from my Meizu M6. Like others have said before, the clarity and detail you get from these earbuds are surprisingly good. They are also fairly neutral ... definitely more aggressive / forward than the Shure E500, but I don't think as much as the Koss KSC75.

They sound very clean with no EQ adjustments (unlike the E500's). Again this is all from the Meizu M6 and my laptop.

Are they worth the pricepoint at $70? I'm going to have to say yes. The main problem I see is that buds don't always fit in the ear very well. There is a dramatic difference is overall SQ when you bring the buds right up against your ear opening compared to when they sitting a bit away from your ears. I tried shaking my head from left to right at moderate speed and definitely felt a little bit of movement within my ears, not enough to dislodge the buds, but certainly enough to affect the SQ.

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #173 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are my impressions of the PK1.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
It is a very good sounding portable phone... don't let its looks fool you.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...12&postcount=3

I have a pair of MDR E888 bought in Japan a few years ago but got sidetracked by IEMs. I have recently come back to them, particularly enjoying their 'liquid' midrange performance. I have been looking into the Yuin PK1 as an upgrade path but decided to hold off until I had really spent some quality time with the 888's. This then led me to the mod, in my case the removal of the paper filter but then replacing the protective grill in combination with a full foam pad (will compare with doughnuts over the next couple of weeks). It is immediately obvious that this simple mod has raised the 888's performance in terms of transparency and has generally opened up the presentation & soundstage. As a truly lightweight combination my 1g Ipod shuffle and the 888 mod are really singing now. I am also looking forward to shifting to the lineout of my 2g nano (as soon as my LOD arrives) and amping the 888 mod.

This has now made me rethink the PK1 purchase as maybe it would be better to stay with the 888 mod and add another class of headphone to my collection, e.g. Alessandro MS1. Any advice or thoughts would be much apreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #174 of 1,068
To whoever posted about the Radio Shack foamies making a difference in the sound, thank you!

I first made some donuts with the RS foamies and found that they made vocals seem kind of harsh, with sung words sounding "chunky".

I then tried a pair of RS foamies without the holes. Wow! Everything is very smooth. The extra thickness of the foam (compared to the foamies they come with) tames the mids and makes the bass a little punchier. Sibilance is a lot less noticeable, and gone is the chunkiness of sung words.

The Radio Shack foams definitely improve the sound, imo.

Rick

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #176 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by callanish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rick,

Are these the Radio Shack foamies you are talking about?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...rt&tab=summary

I'm using the original non-holed pads and since only one set of those came with the PK1's, I'm looking for replacements. The holed versions made the PK1's too bright for me, so anything that reduces this is a must buy.

Thanks for the info!

Hmmm... I kept the original package, so I have a catalog # (33-376); it looks though like they changed the product since I bought it. The one I bought came with a set of 4 foams all black. The one on their website comes with 1 pair black and 1 pair blue:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2036280&cp

I don't know if they're the same (they look a little thinner). The one pair in your link look pretty thick, though.

Mainly, what you're looking for is a set of foams that are THICKER than what the Yuins come with. That gets rid of the thin, shrill sound (when using the donuts) and most of the sibilance while improving the bass.

Hope this info helps.

Rick

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #180 of 1,068
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... I kept the original package, so I have a catalog # (33-376); it looks though like they changed the product since I bought it. The one I bought came with a set of 4 foams all black. The one on their website comes with 1 pair black and 1 pair blue:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tId=2036280&cp

I don't know if they're the same (they look a little thinner). The one pair in your link look pretty thick, though.

Mainly, what you're looking for is a set of foams that are THICKER than what the Yuins come with. That gets rid of the thin, shrill sound (when using the donuts) and most of the sibilance while improving the bass.

Hope this info helps.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I'll pop down to my local Radio Shack and see what they have available. At $2.99 and $3.99 for both of those earbud covers listed on Radio Shack's website, I suppose I could try both of them out. The really thick ones might destroy the sound completely, but I'm willing to try both for such a small price. Totally agree with you about the shrill sound though with the donuts. I'd even put on those blue covers if it helps the sound.

Thanks again
LTM

follow-up

Just purchased the Radio Shack foamies. The cover slips for the earbuds were all black and not the two blue and two black that they showed on their website. They make a big difference in sound quality. Might have something to do with my amp sounding bright or the fact that I've been switching between my ksc 75's and the pk1's, but I really think it's balanced out the sound. I noticed some are using leather punchers to punch holes in the radio shack foamies, but I think that extra thickness compared to Yuin's earbud covers make it sound more ksc 75 like and like you said tame some of the thin shrill sound.

To add, I would also like to say thanks to whomever suggested the radio shack foamies as an alternative to Yuin's. Nice find, thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back