Yuin G1A and G2A
Mar 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #91 of 154
Cool. I'll probably go with the G2A then. I usually use my ES7's for my commute, but once in a while I want something a little more portable. Not to mention something that won't make a big dent in my hair. Plus, I dislike using IEM's or buds. Thanks for your comment.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #93 of 154
Just switched the clips for the cheap headband (thanks HiFlight and Parts Express), and wow, a major change for me. I now even like the G1As even more. Sound change is subtle (they are pressed a little closer to my ears), but I dislike the clips so much, it interferes with my listening enjoyment. So for $11 (3 pair of $1.99 phones plus S&H), I can heartily recommend these phones. As HiFlight noted, they are in the same vein of the Phonaks in terms of clarity in the mids, especially strong with vocals. Very crisp, clean and wide soundstage (wider than the in-ear PFEs).

I do wish they were a little less expensive, more priced along the lines of the Grado SR-80s. But they are very portable by comparison, so that is worth something.

I also moved to the MiniboxE+ from the T4, and the synergy is excellent. As for the G2As, I guess I see a wider gap between the two phones than Miguel. I have yet to amp the G2As via the MBE+ so I will have to see, make sure I am comparing apples to apples.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #94 of 154
I have kept both the G1A and G2A burning. Now each has over 250 hours of burn-in and I have to say that the G2A can get by w/ 100 hour of burn-in. However the G1A IMO need more like 200 hours and closer to 250 hour to reach its full potential.

If I had gone on the 100 hour recommended I would still be "preaching" the G2A is the better of the two units and thus not worth paying the $100 premium of the G1A. But, I am sure glad I kept both units burning in to the 250+ hour mark.
wink.gif

Now I can say that the G1A is indeed the better sounding unit having a wider soundstage and is more detailed and clearer sounding over the G2A and Koss. In summary the G1A has a higher level of detail and a wider presentation.

Is the difference worth $100? Yes if you are using an amp, no if you are using your DAP directly to the unit.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #95 of 154
My feelings exactly, Miguel!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have kept both the G1A and G2A burning. Now each has over 250 hours of burn-in and I have to say that the G2A can get by w/ 100 hour of burn-in. However the G1A IMO need more like 200 hours and closer to 250 hour to reach its full potential.

If I had gone on the 100 hour recommended I would still be "preaching" the G2A is the better of the two units and thus not worth paying the $100 premium of the G1A. But, I am sure glad I kept both units burning in to the 250+ hour mark.
wink.gif

Now I can say that the G1A is indeed the better sounding unit having a wider soundstage and is more detailed and clearer sounding over the G2A and Koss. In summary the G1A has a higher level of detail and a wider presentation.

Is the difference worth $100? Yes if you are using an amp, no if you are using your DAP directly to the unit.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #96 of 154
That's good to hear. I am gonna stick my G1As back on the PC and keep burning them for 3-4 more days. In fact, that's great news. I guess if I like them that much now, I will even like them more. And with HiFlight's headband tip, I am loving the form factor as well. I just could not get used to the clip thing. If Yuin put them on a nice headband, wow (listening Yuin?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #97 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good to hear. I am gonna stick my G1As back on the PC and keep burning them for 3-4 more days. In fact, that's great news. I guess if I like them that much now, I will even like them more. And with HiFlight's headband tip, I am loving the form factor as well. I just could not get used to the clip thing. If Yuin put them on a nice headband, wow (listening Yuin?).

Haha, hopefully they are listening! Sounds like the G1As are slowly starting to shine here...

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #99 of 154
I recently bought both the G1a and G2a. I only have about 40 hours on the G1A's and about 20 hours on the G2a's, with the time consisting of roughly 50% pink noise burn-in and 50% music listening for both. Up till this point, my favorite "headphones" have been the PK2's, as they are enjoyable with all kinds of music. However, I wanted to "upgrade" to something with more range (low-end) and the G series from Yuin intrigued me.

As far as my equipment:
Portable player: Sony NWZ-S616F
Portable amp/DAC: NuForce Icon Mobile
Notebook: Realtek HD audio (good SQ, no problem powering either)

Initial impressions (no burn-in):
G1a: fairly flat response, lacking low-end, some of the vocals seem "distant", resolution/sensitivity isn't there yet.
G2a: high-end is peaky and a little harsh, lacking some low-end but more present than the G1a's, resolution/sensitivity isn't there yet.

Half burn-in (mainly from music listening):
G1a: response is still flat, low-end is beginning to fill in, vocals still a little distant at times, a little more resolution, but it's still lacking.
G2a: still has an exaggerated high-end, low-end is filling in, a little more resolution.

Current impressions:
Then I decided to run both through pink noise, the G2a's got about 11 hours, and the G1a's got around 24 hours.
G1a: response is flat, low-end has filled in well, vocals no longer have the "distant" feeling, the resolution is beginning to surprise me
smily_headphones1.gif

G2a: response has smoothed out some, high-end is still exaggerated but not as harsh as before, mid-bass and low-end have filled in well. Much like the G1a's the resolution/sensitivity is showing itself.

Both have shown continuous improvements, so more burn-in will be helpful. Others have commented on them needing quite a bit more!

Right now, I like the G1a's better. Their flatter response makes them easier to listen to, especially with heavy metal, and you can hear more in the music because nothing is overpowering. The G2a's have a very similar sound, but the upper-end is a bit more exaggerated, which makes it a little more "in-your-face" (like the PK2's). The G2a's have a tiny bit more bass than the G1a's, but both do very well.

Coming from the PK2's, I definitely like the G2a's. They provide a lot of what made the PK2's "fun", but filled in the missing parts. MP3 players have no problem powering them. If you're deciding between the PK2's or G2a's, I'd suggest going with the G2a's. They're a great value for $50! The G1a's step it up a bit, but at $150, they are by no means the value of the G2a. Plus needing a good portable amp throws another $100 (or more) into the equation. However, I needed the USB DAC for listening at work, and couldn't pass up trying the G1a's! So far, I'm liking them a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

My brother has some good phones I'd like to compare the G1a's to, specifically the Phonak PFE's, OK1's, and RE1's (IIRC). I've actually listened to each a little bit in the past, but not enough to make comparisons.

Apr 6, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #101 of 154
My quick thoughts on the G2A:

I guess I'll start with my girlfriend's thoughts. I originally had them delivered to her house since I dislike having packages mailed to my apartment. I told her to open the package and listen to them just because I was curious about what she would think about them.

She only has Grado SR80's to compare them to and I had to sort of put the audio lingo into words for her. She thought:
- Compared to the SR80's the mids weren't as prominent. She thought the vocals on the G2A's sounded a little funny out of the box.
- She also said that the bass wasn't as loud.
- She did think the G2A's sounded pretty good though. Although out of the box, she did say the G2A's sounded less smooth than the SR80's.

Now onto my thoughts:
- When I first put them on, they definitely impressed me for $50. The sound was pretty "fun".
- At first the highs were a bit strong compared to the mids and lows, but the mids and lows seemed to have filled in a bit.
- I still find the lows to be lacking a little bit, especially the really low frequencies. The lows are fine for listening indoors, but I plan on using these headphones for my commute so they'll be even more washed out by outdoor noises. I don't find the lows punchy or boomy. They're there and sound good but just not as prominent as I would like.
- I'm using them with the fiio e5 on bass boost. It definitely increases the bass impact on the G2A's, but make them sound a tad artificial. I personally think that's okay though for how I'm using them.
- The mids are pretty decent. Not as nice as my Grado's, but better than some other mid-fi headphones I've listened to.
- The detail is actually pretty good for its price. I don't really have much to say though.
- The sound has also smoothed out after some burn-in.

The only complaint I have about them is that they don't grab onto my ears enough. Compared to previous clip-on's I've owned, the clip isn't very strong. I guess that makes them more comfortable to wear, but they feel a bit unstable on my ears.

I'd definitely recommend them for their $50 price tag. They don't need to be amped, but in my opinion, I like them better with a bass boost. My girlfriend and I pretty much thought the same thing about the G2A's. What we heard seems to be fairly consistent with what others have said too. Just my .02 :)

Apr 6, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #104 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want more ear pressure, mod them to over the head phones with the $1.99 phones from Parts Express. Much better, to me.

Pics, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back