Yuin G1A and G2A
Mar 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #76 of 154
tstarn06 and dfkt, will you guys be doing a review for MiniBox as well? I'm much interested in this amp, too, since they supposedly have such a good synergy with ER-4P/S.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #77 of 154
Yes, I'll be reviewing the G1A, G2A, RE0, MBE+. Not sure what to start with.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #78 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I'll be reviewing the G1A, G2A, RE0, MBE+. Not sure what to start with.
wink.gif

Great! Can't wait to see your review.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #79 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn06 and dfkt, will you guys be doing a review for MiniBox as well? I'm much interested in this amp, too, since they supposedly have such a good synergy with ER-4P/S.

I'm not the best amp reviewer and don't plan to review the MBE+, but if you go to the Portable Amp thread, EFN, marroyo and other amp mavens can really give you all the details you want to know. In fact, EFN compares it favorably to the much more expensive Lisa III. Anyway, that's where you can get the skinny on the MBE+, for sure.

In fact, since you are an ER4P/S fan, here is all you need to know. What he said...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5285081-post1.html

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #80 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not the best amp reviewer and don't plan to review the MBE+, but if you go to the Portable Amp thread, EFN, marroyo and other amp mavens can really give you all the details you want to know. In fact, EFN compares it favorably to the much more expensive Lisa III. Anyway, that's where you can get the skinny on the MBE+, for sure.

In fact, since you are an ER4P/S fan, here is all you need to know. What he said...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5285081-post1.html

Thanks, tstarn06 for the link. I actually followed that thread since the beginning but, as much as I think EFN is a great guy, I just needed more information. I was going to purchase one back when he started the thread but it was on back order and since then I put my fund into M^3 instead. I could still use an extra portable amp and I was just curious on what you guys thought of the amp in addition.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #81 of 154
In that case, all I can say is I love this amp, no review needed (I've owned one since 2007). I read/heard, though (is it Skylab's reviews? Can't remember?), that the Mini3 and the MBE+ were similar, so not sure what you would gain. As for EFN and myarroyo, they both have much more experience with amps than I ever could imagine, which is why I posted the link. Have you read all the other MBE+ reviews as well. If so, I think you've pretty much seen all what I could possibly say about this sweet amp. Only one thing do to, get one.

Do you really like the PFEs and the Mini3? I just can't believe how much the MBE+ delivers when it comes to the Phonaks. I was startled by the SQ, in all honesty. I know some doubt the PFEs ability to perform at top-tier levels, but I just am hooked on their sound when amped on this level, no reservations.

Same with all the phones I have, including the G1As, but the PFEs seem to benefit most.

I will be curious to see if martin agrees, since he also has the PFEs and the MBE+.

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #82 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you really like the PFEs and the Mini3? I just can't believe how much the MBE+ delivers when it comes to the Phonaks. I was startled by the SQ, in all honesty. I know some doubt the PFEs ability to perform at top-tier levels, but I just am hooked on their sound when amped on this level, no reservations.

Same with all the phones I have, including the G1As, but the PFEs seem to benefit most.

I actually got M^3, not the mini3, but great to hear nevertheless! I should be getting M^3 in a day or so, so I can't speak on how they sound with PFEs but they're more or less built for high impedance phones so I may not pair it with PFE's at all.

MBE+ sound like just the amp for PFE's, ER-4's and G1A apparently. What is your thoughts on G2A and MBE+? Have you had a chance to pair them yet?

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #83 of 154
Haven't listened yet, but will soon. Sure the Minbox will improve the G2A sound, since it seems to really be a good match with all of my phones so far. Have to also try it again with the Grados. I'm like a kid in a candy store today, I forgot how much I missed the Minibox (or this v3 is even better, not sure). Will be interested to see if your new amp does likewise.

Mar 26, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #84 of 154
I did just receive a replacement set of PFEs for my inoperative set. I am glad I decided to go with a replacement, as they do sound very nice. Quite similar sound to my ears as the G1A when amped.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #85 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did just receive a replacement set of PFEs for my inoperative set. I am glad I decided to go with a replacement, as they do sound very nice. Quite similar sound to my ears as the G1A when amped.

Glad to hear, too bad I don't like anything over the ears, so these two are kind of both out of the picture for now.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #86 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good news, and I agree with that assessment. Check the Phonak thread. I just posted about someone who got a second cracked pair in three weeks. Time for Phonak to offer replacements AND refunds for that situation. If they don't get this cracking thing under control, all their hard work is gonna be for naught. They say it's a small percentage, but odd that so many here on Head-Fi had it happen so far. I love the phones, but they must get this QC thing under control. I have a hard time believing it's a small percentage based on the sample at HF.

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #87 of 154
tstarn06 and dfkt I am glad you both got the MiniBox-E+. It is IMO such a great amp w/ both a big, detailed, clear sound. Its soundstage is huge yet very coherent. But to me the most important thing is that it makes you want to dance. Yes I love the MiniBox-E+. Enjoy it!

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #89 of 154
I've been looking for a pair of clip-ons this past week and just stumbled upon the G2A/G1A's. Originally I was looking to get a pair of Audio-Technica's mainly for the looks, but their sound reviews weren't very promising at all. I sort of looked into the Koss KSC35/75's but I personally think they look hideous.

The Yuin's look fairly good and from the reviews so far, it seems like their sound is better than the Koss's. I'm glad I found something in between the Audio-Technica and Koss clip-ons that I was looking at.

Now I'm just trying to decide between the G1A or G2A... I think I'll probably go with the G2A's. Do you think that would be better for me if 1) I like a little more forward presentation and 2) I'll be using them as portables for my commute? I feel like it's a bit of a waste to get more expensive phones for portable use since outside noises tend to wash out a lot of sound.

Mar 27, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #90 of 154
Yes on both counts. Forward presentation, plus lower cost. Also, the G1As really require an amp, which is a hassle for commuting. You will get a lot of outside noise with either pair, but it sounds like you are just looking for "distraction" music for the most part. G2As would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back