Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Aug 8, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #197 of 388
None of the pairs I use would be considered high-end or 'best', but i love them all for different reasons

yuin g2-a...krk 8400....apple earpods

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #199 of 388
Quote:
Akg K340 from tonight
wink.gif

Umm ... what happened tonight
bigsmile_face.gif
?

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #200 of 388
P.S. ... If you nominate a headphone please tag it under topics discussed (see right panel of the page), i.e. if it hasn't already been tagged. LET'S MAKE AN EASY REFERENCE LIST OF ALL THE HEADPHONES NOMINATED IN THIS THREAD! Sorry for shouting.

Aug 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #201 of 388
After listening to all three of my headphones heavily I can say I like all three a lot and think they are the best and favorite in their own ways, which I like the most depends on the mood.

The Sony MDR-MA900 with it's neutral, natural, and engaging sound, ability to sound great on everything, forgiving yet natural sounding treble, big and clean sounding but not overly prominent speaker-like bass, fantastic midrange, and an awesome 3D and holographic sounding soundstage. Weaknesses are that it can be a tad too holographic sounding at times and lacks some transparency.

The AKG K240 MKII with it's awesome dynamics, transparency, slight aggressiveness, natural sound, seductive midrange, and hyper-engaging sound-signature. These really are the groovilizers. Weaknesses are that it's a bit sibilant, lacks some extension in bass, and is very power-hungry.

The Sennheiser PX-100 ii with it's big, powerful, and engaging bass that doesn't encroach into the midrange, pleasant and engaging midrange, and a nice forgiving sound. One of the few Senns I like, thought it was too bassy for a while but it grew on me over time. Weaknesses are an overly soft upper midrange and treble that gives a somewhat unnatural sound(Sennheiser Veil?) and it lacks some transparency.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #205 of 388
Quote:
I like my Fostex t20rp mkii for use as my basshead headphones. I put the velour pads from my Superlux HD668B on them for a better fit and seal. Paired with a Fiio E11 on high gain,bass on 2,boosted treble on the eq with some Death Grips playing and I am good to go.

I recently bought a padded headband and Alpha pads for my T20RP and the fit is much better. The seal of the Alpha pads is good enough to the point that I can turn down the bass and still get that punch.

I have also gotten into balanced armature IEM with the entry level Westone UM1 and MEElectronics A151. I like the former best with jazz and the latter is for other genres. 

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #207 of 388
for me is the beyerdynamic custom one pro on a local DIY cable, not bad at all, but hate the pleather, waiting my velour pads to arrive and it will be perfect

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #209 of 388
You know, a few months ago, I broke my 'beaters', the Skullcandy Low Riders. I would use them for just watching YouTube videos, or DVDs or something, or listening to music when I wasn't using my real system. I actually do miss them. They were comfortable, small and lightweight, and dare I say, didn't sound terrible. At least not for what I was using them for. Their replacements are some $8 no-name headphones. They do the job fine, but they aren't my Low Riders. I think I might try to buy a replacement pair soon.

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #210 of 388
My headphone journey since my first "decent purchase" (in my own opinion).

Buy Senn CX870 since I saw that the original price was over 100 and that it was currently 35 dollars.
Lose all eartips
Proceed to buy GR02's from VSonic.
Loved the heck out of the GR02's
Buy HD600. Hate leaving house and leaving my beautiful HD600.
Tried the CX870 with GR02's eartips.
It must have fitted poorly back then, because these CX870s lost the grainy sound I originally hated from them. I LOVE the cx870 IEM's sound. It made me hate leaving home a lot less.
Then the cx870 shorted three days after I rediscovered it (time to learn to solder. Anyone have a suggestion for a soldering iron?).

I guess I have to say the CX870.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back