Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Aug 6, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #181 of 388
well this forum derailed faster than I thought 
frown.gif

On a lighter note my hd439 have become basically portable hd 600 
beyersmile.png

and my hp700's have become full-fledged portable d7000 but with a tad less
smily_headphones1.gif

Please explain how the whole forum is derailed? Last I checked everyone is talking about audio equipment and sound.

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #182 of 388
Pioneer SE A1000

Sennheiser RS 180

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #183 of 388
Quote:
Please explain how the whole forum is derailed? Last I checked everyone is talking about audio equipment and sound.

my reason for saying that it has derailed was because the whole threads topic was about headphones that weren't necessarily "Hi-Fi" but were still good fun, however now the thread has reached the point where it is the same as, let's say a forum disputing which flagship headphones are most appealed, or a thread about what headphones are the best headphones

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #185 of 388
I think the point of the thread is to identify phones that may exceed strongly in one area, but not in others, but that one area makes them great to use.
For instance, ATH W3000ANVs for their great vocals.

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #186 of 388
Quote:
That's a bit logical, people are just trying  to explain why they  would  "not look for the best".
If they indicate at same time a  "lesser" model they enjoy more, I'd think it's on topic.

Quote:
I think the point of the thread is to identify phones that may exceed strongly in one area, but not in others, but that one area makes them great to use.
For instance, ATH W3000ANVs for their great vocals.

fair enough

Aug 6, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #188 of 388
Also remember that with different budgets come different mentalities; to someone who has the 1.5k to throw away on an LCD-3, the HD650 seems like "good but not the best," whereas to me, HD650s are as high as I will go unless I get a much better job, so to me, my "favorite not the best" phones are (like you) the HD439 and SE215.
my reason for saying that it has derailed was because the whole threads topic was about headphones that weren't necessarily "Hi-Fi" but were still good fun, however now the thread has reached the point where it is the same as, let's say a forum disputing which flagship headphones are most appealed, or a thread about what headphones are the best headphones

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #190 of 388
Quote:
Also remember that with different budgets come different mentalities; to someone who has the 1.5k to throw away on an LCD-3, the HD650 seems like "good but not the best," whereas to me, HD650s are as high as I will go unless I get a much better job, so to me, my "favorite not the best" phones are (like you) the HD439 and SE215.

BTW After I did the extra holes mod my headphones, in combination with the open back + no fabric are sounding: extra detailed, have great speed, and  have a nicer mids, bass, and treble

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #191 of 388
+1 to add to this topic -- the word "favourite" (OP must be British or something,,, anyway back on topic) somewhat qualifies what this thread is about. To me that represents a headphone that you keep coming back to over and over even though you have technically better performing headphones in your stable. I don't think the intent is to list headphones that are simply 'best sound for buck.' For example I have a Koss Portapro that is by all accounts a great 'sound for buck' headphone, but I didn't list it simply because I do not listen to it that much - it's not my favorite go-to headphone. This I think widens what can be posted here - the scope is as wide as the headphone market is basically.

Aug 7, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #192 of 388
Anyone who lives in a commonwealth country that had been under british rule uses british english too. So anyway yeah the vote for favourite not the best headphone is for headphones that we still like even though we have possesion to more expensive and capable gear. This cannot apply to those who only have one headphone though :p

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #194 of 388
Sweet, I might try that when I have some extra dough for a second pair.
Quote:
BTW After I did the extra holes mod my headphones, in combination with the open back + no fabric are sounding: extra detailed, have great speed, and  have a nicer mids, bass, and treble

Users who are viewing this thread

Back