Your favourite headphone experience yet.
Jan 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 40
My favourite headphone experience is forgetting I'm wearing headphones and just hearing the music. 
smile_phones.gif

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #18 of 40
Haha, nope. I always liked those things, but back then I was clueless. I was coming from some Sony Fontopia earbuds and whatever came with portable CD players (when they actually still included free headphones).
I stopped liking them when they broke twice within a year. What's real sad is that my upgrade was the HD-555 and I didn't like them more than my Triports. My only guess is that they were not driven well.
It'd be interesting to try the triports again now that I'm more educated with sound quality. I bet i'd be pretty disgusted.

Are you sure that old pair of Bose you used to own isn't up there?

Jan 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 40
My favorite has to be when i first tried on my beyerdynamic dt231 pros. I played In Flame's Reflect The Storm from their album Come Clarity and it really blew my mind. I was using really cheap earbuds before so this jump to my new headphones was really quite an experience.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #21 of 40

Quote:

I came into this thread thinking "Jethro Tull". My K271's do Jethro Tull so incredibly well, I swear Thick as a Brick was made for these.
biggrin.gif

I guess there's something about AKGs and Tull.  "Thick as a Brick" is one of my favorites -- I love how I can just play that song and it doesn't end until about 44 minutes later
biggrin.gif

Quote:

@Sophonax : I just listened to Peter Gabriel's live album. Sounds amazing, bet the soundstage is much better on the HD800.

Yep, the soundstage really is impressive on the HD800.  As an audiophile, this is one of my favorite albums -- both a very good performance and a very good recording.

Jan 25, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #22 of 40
Reposting from the Original thread:

Sansa Clip+ > E7 > RE0

The Shins, Wincing the Night Away (The whole album)

December 26th.

Story: I was just falling asleep, listening to my RE0's, which I do on occasion. I had just received my E7 for christmas. Anyway, I usually just put the Clip on play all and let it go, but I decided to pick an entire album. Went with Wincing The Night Away. Just the whole thing, played all the way through, truly eargasmic. It was so crisp sounding, so pure, so perfect (to my ears at least). I have since decided that it is always much better to listen to an album from start to finish than just play random songs from an artist or more than one artist.

EDIT: I realized that this wasn't NOT in fact a repost of an earlier thread by the same OP, but rather a similar topic......

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #23 of 40
When my AD900 headphones finally arrived, I immediately stopped using my previous set (of earbuds that came with my sansa fuze). I put them on and immediately started with Pink floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.

Of course there's really no comparison between my audio-experience before and after. It was the first time I'd ever heard a pair of headphones that cost more than $10.

I hope this well be replaced when I finally get my CKK-iii cased, and my gamma2 soldered.

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #25 of 40
Pretty much every time I put the Ultrasone Pro 900 on my head I am amazed, but if I had to choose just one, it would have to be the first song I played through them.  It was like hearing bass for the first time.  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #26 of 40
My favourite headphone experience was the first time I heard Ludwig Streicher performing a Bottesini double bass concerto while trying out my new thunderpants headphones for the first time. Breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe how amazing and emotional it sounded. I could feel the attack and passion of the musician at work in a way I never thought possible.
In fact as corny as it might sound, it was almost a transcendental experience.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #27 of 40
The first time i realized that a decent set-up sometimes can make a difference in enjoying music. I had been listening to records of the tord gustavsen trio (european jazz), but wasn't blown away. Then i heard them through my then new graham slee solo amp and vintage dt900/600. I was blown out of my socks. All of a sudden i heard all the subtle details and sounds that made those albums part of my favorite albums ever. Most music can be appreciated equally much through crappy iBuds, but some can't. And it was a revelation to find this out.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #28 of 40
A friend of mine used to have as a rig a Benchmark DAC 1 feeding a Stax 717 amp and Omega 2s.  With his rig and his Stax collection I had a couple of great experiences.  The first was with some of the best cans for vocals in existence, the Stax 4070s. Listening to Jeff Buckley was just amazing.  Later on, we had a brief encounter with a rare Nakamichi Dragon DAC.  Switching out my Northstar M192 at the time to the Nakamichi and putting on Jeff Buckley again and I knew within half a minute that I had found my digital God. I spent the entire evening trying to find one of those DACs online for less than a soul-selling price.

His subsequent rig was the DAC 1 going to a Yamamoto HA-02.  With it he was using Grado HF-1s. Previously I had tried the HF-1s straight out of his DAC 1 but thought they were awful and thin sounding.  That is, until I tried them from the Yamamoto, and subsequently my Phoenix.  Then I "got" Grado and had to have a pair. Sure they weren't as resolving as the HD-800s but hell, they were punchy as anything.

My current rig gives me my favourite headphone experience at the moment. Either of my two main pairs of headphones are, for me, just amazing to listen with the way I have things set up.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #29 of 40
Well the greatest time for me is when I put on HD650 the first time. It was a noisy environment and a big guy was annoying me with a K701 on his head. But I loved it soooo much. I was the happiest man then.

Then when I tried the HD800, I was blown upside down once again. There was a moment when I put back on my HD650 for comparison that I nearly threw out.

I still love greatly both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back