Your favorite headphone and why? for $150 - $250 price range
Jun 14, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #17 of 32

Quote:
If you never heard them, then you're not in a position where you can recommend them, based on proper judgement. Refer here.

alright no problem, ill buy them.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #20 of 32
Fostex T50RP, retails for under $100, always sold out over there, but worth the wait,the reason ? after performing a simple mod and I  do mean simple.
Check out the, just listened to some fostex T50RPs ...WOW thread, a bland and totally ordinary headphone is transformed into a world class set of cans, the mod is a piece of cake,this is one of the jewels uncovered on this great forum,enjoy your Fostex, everyone does.   

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #21 of 32

Quote:
Here, let me rephrase my question. If you were in my position ( Buying headphone between $150 and $250) which would you buy and why? I have no preference between open, closed, anything in between, and iem's. I guess I'm looking for the most natural headphone possible for my price range. Another factor is I make a lot of music, mainly on cubase 5 and fl studio 9. not looking for grado's because I have listened to pretty much every model from them, out of them I like the sr125 over 225 and 325 or anything below. I would like good bass extention but do not want overpowering bass. I love mids most of all, and the closest to "perfect" I can get the better. Thank You!!!

Forstex T50RP, gorgeous liquid mids, when modded, as they are Orthodynamic they really excel in that area, and the detail and imaging is remarkable. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 32
So I take it you have a very strong amp for when you used your dt770s?

I only had the hfi-780, Sony MDR-V6, Koss UR-40, and the DT770 80ohm pro. I heard the Shure 840 at the guitar store.

My favorite are definitely the Hfi-780 (but comfort is slightly less than average on them). They have decent bass, decent mids (better than the dt770), and good treble energy. They are portable and don't really need a amp (although one wouldn't hurt). Also they need at least a couple hundred hours of burn it. You definitely will like them better after that than straight out of the box.

I just ordered the denon d2000 and will see which one I like then. These phones are normally over $300 but sometimes you can find a sale from an authorized dealer for around $250 or less (if you want a warranty). Me, I just brought them used from someone since I can't afford the new price of them. They are in good condition and will try my best to keep them that way.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #23 of 32
Here are a few that fit the criteria when paying typical street prices:

Grado SR-225
Senn HD600
AKG K70x
Shure 940*

*(based on my ownership of the 840 and what I've read so far)

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #24 of 32
For me without any doubt would be Shure's SRH840.  While it's been eclipsed a bit by the new SRH940, the 840 remains an exceptional pair of headphones.  With its warm, lush tone, a simply gorgeous mid-range, remarkable clarity and detail, excellent dynamics and bass, it can(in my opinion) hold its own against pricier competitors.  It's easy to drive, sound great without an amp, add one to the equation and expect a little audio nirvana mixed in with some goosebumps and a few wows.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #25 of 32
It's not hard to recommend the big three, which are the DT880s (have them), the HD650s and the K701.
Any higher than that, I think it's over the price limit.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #26 of 32
Another vote for the Senn HD598. Really comfortable and pleasant, smooth, all-around sound. Usually retails at $250 but if the J&R $175 price is still valid, that's quite a deal.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #27 of 32
I've really been looking into those HD598's and I'm really thinking about them. I'll probably end up getting those or the er-4p, now I just need to decide between full size or in-ear.

Jun 21, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #28 of 32

Quote:
So I take it you have a very strong amp for when you used your dt770s?

I only had the hfi-780, Sony MDR-V6, Koss UR-40, and the DT770 80ohm pro. I heard the Shure 840 at the guitar store.

My favorite are definitely the Hfi-780 (but comfort is slightly less than average on them). They have decent bass, decent mids (better than the dt770), and good treble energy. They are portable and don't really need a amp (although one wouldn't hurt). Also they need at least a couple hundred hours of burn it. You definitely will like them better after that than straight out of the box.

I just ordered the denon d2000 and will see which one I like then. These phones are normally over $300 but sometimes you can find a sale from an authorized dealer for around $250 or less (if you want a warranty). Me, I just brought them used from someone since I can't afford the new price of them. They are in good condition and will try my best to keep them that way.

Unfortunately no, I didn't have an amp. I would use my friends when I had the chance, but that is one of the reasons I'm selling them. I've also gotten the chance to use my dt770's on many different amps and dac's at the meets I've been to, so I know what I was missing.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #30 of 32
Find a used Sennheiser HD-600. It's about as good as it gets without going into kilobuck territory. Neutral, balanced and a classic around here. One of very, very few headphones that does well with any genre. I love my HD-800, but could live out the rest of my days with a HD-600 and be quite happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back