Your biggest headphones dissappointment?
Feb 21, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #211 of 363
My biggest disappointment was the A900's!
eek.gif
I just couldn't beleive that a well made set of cans like that could be so far off from me even accepting the sound!
eek.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #212 of 363
Biggest? HD-650, it even had a RnB cable on it. Just did not sound great, merely good with a lot of muddiness to it. Very uninvolving/boring to me.

Runner up would be DT990 - also a muddy sound with no mids. And I was planning on these next! These sounded like a poor DT880 which also didn't impress me much.

R10, A2002, W5000, SA5000 - I wasn't really surprised that I didn't care for them as I don't think they synergize well with my preferred music types. I was still hoping to be a bit wowed though. All beautiful (and expensive) cans though.

And blashpehy - the FULL HE90 setup. Only because it didn't blow me away - I mean it sounded good but I wasn't needing new shorts. For as much as a good used car I admit to expecting quite a bit more.

Just to give you an idea of what I like - PS-1
basshead.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #213 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Have you tried other canalphones? I'm wondering if you had a good seal...

it's funny that whenver someone post something about this iem being no good, the first question is always "have you got a good seal"? yes, i had a good seal and im good with sealing them. I've had 2 pairs of iems in the past as stated in my profile. the e4 is a no good for me, i'd take ksc75 over them.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #214 of 363
SR225 was the my biggest disappointment. I believe they were my first post-Head-Fi registration purchase. Looking back now, they were the FOTM (which is not necessarily a bad thing) and touted as the sweet spot in the Grado line-up. But to my ears, the highs were too harsh and sibilant, and I had comfort issues with all the pads. I ended up returning them to TTVJ.

From that point, I stayed away from all higher end Grado cans, until recently when I bought the HF-1 from another Head-Fi'er. I'm lovin' the HF-1 sound.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #215 of 363
I'd like to request some serious Beyerdynamics 250-250 bashing from someone who has better references than I have. I auditioned them today and was quite impressed, coming from Koss portapro as previous reference and considering I'm looking for a sealed design.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #216 of 363
Super.fi 3s. I agree with omega's review.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #218 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
Sony D66 Eggos, well only at first! Initially I was totally dissappointed with them as they sounded thin and conjested with weak farty bass. I let my brother listen to them for a few months, after which they were reborn into the awesome cans they are today. I totally love my eggos now!

So I actually read through this whole thread. And there were 2 votes for the Sony D66 Eggos. Well 1 if you subtract the post quoted above. Maybe I should have given them more burn in time, but of the headphones I've owned, the disappointments have been:

Sony Eggo D-66 (Yuck!)
Audio Technica ATH-M40fs (Yucko!)

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #219 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
it's funny that whenver someone post something about this iem being no good, the first question is always "have you got a good seal"? yes, i had a good seal and im good with sealing them.

It is the first question I ask when anyone is disatisfied with ANY iem. No need to get testy.
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #220 of 363
So far:

AKG K-340: Shrill highs, LACKING bass, decent midrange. Horrible fit, worse than grados. Have no desire to mod these.

To be fair: Thinking about this now - the phone is not properly working, the electret part is aged/defective in one ear, and i tend to think the set wasn't taken very good care of at all, by the person i bought it used from

Grado HF-1: Wonderful detailed bass response, neutral midrange, highs with a certain wrong deafening peak. But i'm sure it will just need some more burn-in.

Yup i'm still a HD650 fan, not as speedy bass, but about the same in volume as the HF-1, more neutral. Non ear-piercing/stressing highs.

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #223 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmicmoose
Listening to my D66 Eggos again after having my DT770s for a week. Man, was that depressing.

Stupid FoTM! Boy was I fleeced...

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #224 of 363
My dissappointments:

R10, Edition 7, W5000, Qualia 010, HD6xx, HD5xx, HD4xx, Grado PS-1, Grado RS-1, AKG K1000, AKG K501, Shures, Etymotics, UE Super-Fi, UE Customs, and I'm sure some I'm forgetting

Pretty much everything I've ever heard has dissappointed me

They all have at least 1 really really really bad weakness
I'm just trying to find the least dissappointing phone and try to patch up the weakness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back