Your biggest headphones dissappointment?
Feb 21, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #196 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I've been pretty happy with all my purchases. The HD570 didnt really work out because it was too open for my needs, but its really not as bad as people make it out to be.

I did find the A900 dissapointing to hear after all the hype though.

I'd have to add Sony Qualia and SA5000 to the A900 as being dissapointing due to overhyping.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #197 of 363
Letsee, disappointing cans...

ATH-W2002. No, I haven't heard them with the magical amps, but man, they just sound so crappy out of everything else. Beautiful in the photos, kinda "meh" in person.

ATH-EW9. Didn't realize how thin/bright a sound they were. Completely unusable for portable use. Might have another use.

HD650+Zu. Surprised at how much I didn't like this, given my love for the HD600+Cardas and that I liked the HD650+Equinox. I guess it might be the cable I didn't like, and my rig wasn't really Senn optimized.

HD25-1. I'll give this one another shot, but the sound qualiy was just seriously disappointing. I might have been expecting too much, comparing them to my various IEM for portable use.

Really would have wanted each of these to be regular cans that I used, but I don't regret selling any of them.

Oh, anyone want to buy a W2002?
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #199 of 363
Pretty much every Senn I've owned over the last 30 years from the 414 onwards. They sound good to start with then I get fatigued and tired of listening to them after a short time. I find them bloated, dull and uninvolving, I doubt I'll ever get another Senn unless a set of HE 90's magically fall from the skies into my lap. Otherwise I am done with them.

Feb 21, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #202 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
shure e4. didn't like it a single bit other than the looks.

Have you tried other canalphones? I'm wondering if you had a good seal...

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #204 of 363
I was going to say the AKG 26P - but then again it was only a $40 headphone and it offered a seal/closed. But then I read someone mention the HD497 and I remember all the positive remarks on this headphone... and I know some say "there is no boring headphone only boring music..." well I do not believe they have heard the HD497. Now in fairness it did sound good for classical BUT BORING FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #205 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Pretty much every Senn I've owned over the last 30 years from the 414 onwards. They sound good to start with then I get fatigued and tired of listening to them after a short time. I find them bloated, dull and uninvolving, I doubt I'll ever get another Senn unless a set of HE 90's magically fall from the skies into my lap. Otherwise I am done with them.

Have you tried the HD590?

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #206 of 363
Sennheiser HD580

They sounded good but they weren't fun ... downgraded to some Grado SR125 and never looked back.

Feb 21, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #207 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
Have you tried the HD590?

Yes, a friend bought some after I loaned him my 580's for a few weeks. I gave them a listen and didn't like the 590 much either. I've owned about 7 or 8 pairs of senns over the years. No more.

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #208 of 363
None, apart from the SR325i at the very beginning. Headaches, ear fatigue due to the brightness and weight of the cups. Got used to them after a day or two. Now love them so much that I am incapable of selling them for W1000!

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #209 of 363
PlaneQuiet NC-6. Don't laugh too hard, I was just in the market for a pair of noise-cancelling headphones that would give a tolerable reproduction of at least some types of music. The price was just $ 50-60 I don't remember. Of course there also was the Bose alternative but I thought PlaneQuiet would do roughly the same job for a third of the inflated Bose price point. The relatively long delivery time from the US increased the level of expectations which was not exactly high to begin with.

The cans finally arrived. I was put off immediately by the cheapo-looking design, I've seen water squirt-guns more solidly built... Allright how did they sound then? I was astonished to say the least, they were even worse than the crappy headphones bundled with a cheap Sony radio I got (really good radio though with cans like portapro). The PlaneQuiet sounded like a crap clock radio, with an always present background noise to add to the misery.

Ok, I did not buy these to listen to music. How did they cancel noise? I cranked up my stereo to simulate a noisy environment and put on my PlaneQuiets. There was a slight difference in sound level but it was marginal. I just laughed at my stupidity and put them away for several months. What a disappoinment but I should have felt it coming... always falling hard for even moderately skilful advertisment.

For some reason I decided to bring them with me on some journeys, by plane, car and train. I found they actually do work quite well to tone down engine noise and rumble. They attenuate low-mid-frequency noise, especially if it follows a predictable pattern, and let meaningful information like speech through. Amazing actually, especially when the supra-aural pads begun to set properly and achieving a good seal. But wait, was it not exactly what they was designed to do? The more I used them the better they worked for music as well, some moderate eq and they became quite enjoyable. Even the battery time proved to be really fantastic, a single AAA last like forever.

Maybe I'm really good at fooling myself but these cans has been transformed in my mind from one of the worst purchase ever into a tool that is very useful for me to combat fatigue during long journeys. Sure they sound distant and hollow compared to Koss portapro for instance but it does not matter much in this application. Perfect for driving long distance for instance, emphasizing information and attenuating noise is the key to endurance and comfort. I'm sure there are much better gear but this was proof-of-concept for me.

Feb 21, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #210 of 363
Senn 555s when i first got them, but then they realy started opening up after burning in , im off to find me a set of used 580/600s.
580smile.gif

I Wasnt too disapointed with the 280s, they were closed cans after all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back