Your biggest headphones dissappointment?
Feb 22, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #242 of 363
My biggest headphone disappointment?

Well........I've been listening to headphones for just a tad over 15 years now and have owned a LOT of cheap (noname brand, even) headphones.

I guess that overall, I'd have to say that it's not any particular model or manufacturer that disappoints me as much as it is the entire headphone market.....and the audio and electronics market as well, for that matter.

On one end of the scale, you have headphones that cost like $12 and SOUND like they should cost $2. On the other end of the scale, you have headphones that cost hundreds (or perhaps thousands) of dollars and merely sound as good as ALL headphones should by the year 2006.

A big part of the disappointment for me is that it shouldn't cost hundreds of dollars to get acceptable sound quality out of a piece of equipment that's been around for well over 50 years. If a pair of $20 headphones can sound almost satisfactory, shouldn't a pair of $300 headphones sound absolutely SUPERB?

Another frustration, as I outlined before, the electronics industry is generally content with producing LCD garbage that simply isn't capable of reproducing music to the full capacity of even some cheaper headphones. Choosing a playback device for your music of choice should be a no brainer by this point in time. It shouldn't even be an issue. But because the masses tend to accpet junk, electronics manufacturers have no incentive to push bounderies and are actually quite content to reserve good sound quality for the niche market known as "audiophilia". Why waste money producing good equipment if most people won't notice...right?

So...you've got your $300 headphones and now you've got to spend another $500 (at least) to use them to their full potential. I guess what I'm saying is a great deal of my frustration and disappointment comes from the fact that it's a business. And just like any other business, they cut corners, save money where they can and are perfectly content to exploit those who look for a higher standard for every red cent they can milk out of them.

I'm not knocking my fellow audiophiles (although it may sound that way). We don't have much choice in the matter. We either pay what they are asking for decent equipment or we settle for garbage. But it does bother me that anyone has to pay $300 (or perhaps substantially more) for mass produced plastic....even if it is cut from a somewhat more refined and more carefully designed cloth. $300 should buy you pretty close to the best headphones money can buy and sadly, I don't think it does in most cases.

And let's face it....a lot of people probably buy expensive headphones to use with something like an Ipod. I guess the Ipod is probably substantially better than yesterday's Walkman in terms of fidelity and overall sound quality but it also probably doesn't put out enough power for half of the more high end headphones. And Ipods are NOT cheap! Here we have a ($400) device that is INTENDED to be used EXCLUSIVELY with headphones and you very well might have to spend hundreds of additional dollars for extra equipment in order to use it with a decent set of 'phones, rather than those junky "buds" it comes with. What is wrong with this picture? Shouldn't a $400 device that is intended to be used with headphones already sound (better than) fantastic and be usable with almost any headphone? Why is sound quality an afterthought on devices that have no other function than to reproduce sound? Who spends $20,000 on an engine, another $20,000 on the rest of the car and yet another $20,000 on the keys? OK...there are some people who do take autophilia to these extremes but even a $20,000 car seves it's intended purpose admirably......and in some cases, actually goes above and beyond the call of duty.

I guess I'm just not cut out to be an audiophile...even though I have all the symptoms. I buy the cheap stuff and wonder why it sounds cheap. I inspect the expensive stuff (because I can't afford to buy it) and wonder why it's so expensive. Yeah...it sounds good but at the price, you'd think the year was 1975 and you were looking at the best stuff money could buy.

Anyway...that's what I find disappointing......

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #244 of 363
Now I don't want to sound as if I am trashing them, but I had such high expectations of the Beyer DT770s/80, I did find them pretty disappointing at first. I've since gotten used to the sound, but I still find them to be a bit wanting in the mids and perhaps a bit bright (or shrill). Still debating having them reacabled by headphile, but 100$ is a lot of cash for me and I suspect the change in sound would be minimal.

The other thing worth mentioning is how disapponted I was in ALL my headphones when run out of my ipod (even with proper lineout & amp), but that is hardly the cans' fault.

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #245 of 363
SR-325 was the worst disappointment. Utter garbage.

The DT 990 comes next. Had a weird, hollow midrange that made it sounds like you were listening inside a cavern or something.

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #247 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by nightfire
You took the words out of my mouth.
smily_headphones1.gif
I thought my pair was defective and was ready to return them for an exchange, until I got a chance to hear another pair from a local shop. I don't know what people see in these things.....

Hehe, the exact opposite of your experience
biggrin.gif

To me, they are amazingly comfortable and comparable to my DT880s. Which is more comfortable depends on my mood really,i.e. is the cable on the E5 more annoying than the headband on the Beyer?

In terms of sound, they also sound amazing to my ears. Sure, they are not as clear as good full sized headphones, nor do they have the same sound stage, but for being what they are, they are amazing. I must be one of the few too to think that the E5 has a balanced sound. To me they sound quite close to my DT880s, differing only in a slightly rolled off treble and a very slight increase in bass. They are not much more on the dark side than the DT880 is on the bright side to my ears, i.e. essentially neutral (as opposed to PortaPro etc).

Which perhaps proves that canalphones can render highly different impressions to different people, and also depend on the tips used. For me, they were well worth the price.

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #248 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
the next one should be "were they amped?"

LOL, nah, the Shure's don't need an amp IMO.
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #250 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by mektarus
You must be a real hoot at parties.
tongue.gif
Is your user name your constant state of being?
wink.gif

Lol, maybe
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I wonder if you will ever like anything

I hope something comes along and I can stay with it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Nah, he just hates everything but Triports

Triports = One of most comfortable 'phones ever made
Its overall sound is unimpressive, just like most of the headphones I've tried. Some headphones have certain areas that impress me: K1000 for example

But overall sound being unimpressive is basically all-around **** to me. Wether it's the Grado ****, Sony ****, Ultrasone ****, Ultimate Ears ****... it's all **** to me. Triports just win over a LOT of headphones because it has one area that actually impressed me; comfort.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
... thats one heck of a "disappointment" list. o.0 headphones aren't for you I suppose?

The direction I'm heading... I guess I can say I'm dissappointed in headphones

Feb 22, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #251 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Lol, maybe
wink.gif

I hope something comes along and I can stay with it!

Triports = One of most comfortable 'phones ever made
Its overall sound is unimpressive, just like most of the headphones I've tried. Some headphones have certain areas that impress me: K1000 for example

But overall sound being unimpressive is basically all-around **** to me. Wether it's the Grado ****, Sony ****, Ultrasone ****, Ultimate Ears ****... it's all **** to me. Triports just win over a LOT of headphones because it has one area that actually impressed me; comfort.

The direction I'm heading... I guess I can say I'm dissappointed in headphones

When you post, I cry. This post confirms my suspicions that you do not have ears.

Feb 22, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #253 of 363
Now that's a great post, Albatross05.

I don't have any total disappointments, but I have a few slight ones:

- Sennheiser MX500: They are better than most of the free buds, but only a crazy person would actually say that they sound good. Not that I expected much either.

- Sennheiser HD212 Pro: They're not a total let-down for the price (atleast not the mids and highs), but the bass is exaggerated to such extremes that one wonders how they ever made it into production. The again, there are people that practically worship this abomination.

- Sennheiser HD25-1: These are certainly only a slight let-down, but still worth mentioning. As a whole, they sound pretty good. I'm used to my Senn HD580s, though, and the HD25-1 certainly are very far from those. They have a little too much bass, slightly unnatural mids and recessed highs. As said, the whole package does fairly good and they're great to use "on-the-go".

- AKG 240M: Cost about the same as my old Senn HD545 and were far from them in terms of sound quality.

Feb 22, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #254 of 363
Great post! And believe me, I feel your frustration. I see so many members here with thousands of dollars worth of equipment, some of them quite elitist about it. And I have to wonder how so many have so much desposible cash when I have to sneak behind my wife's back to buy used equipment that most didn't consider all that expensive when it was new. And that isn't even taking into account cables, power cords, power conditioners, DACs, etc. And the reason that the companies will never change their practices is that some people just need to feel elitist. If everyone has it then it's not good enough. No matter how expensive they make stuff there will always be someone to buy it.

Sorry, this ended up being more of a vent than a reply. The truth is, if I had it to spend, I would as well. So I guess my real frustration is that I just don't have enough money to support my habit.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back