You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #271 of 6,356
When you nonchalantly look up something you own, read some other recommendations people have, then start looking up how much those recommendations are, then you start looking up other gear that competes - and before you know it you've spent 3 hours looking at gear that you really don't need, don't have the money for, and have no reason to be looking at and the sun is starting to come up (This inevitably happens to me many times, and there's no way to stop it until you're just done!)

Apr 11, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #272 of 6,356
when you are thoroughly pleased with your current set up, but feel crappy everytime you come back here realizing how much better sound can get. HOW CAN IT, IT ALREADY SOUNDS GLORIOUS!

You sir, are no bonafide audiophile!

True audiophiles always believe their set ups sound absolute rubbish no matter the expense or vast collection of equipment amassed! Always trying to catch that magic dragon...

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #274 of 6,356

Quote:
When you nonchalantly look up something you own, read some other recommendations people have, then start looking up how much those recommendations are, then you start looking up other gear that competes - and before you know it you've spent 3 hours looking at gear that you really don't need, don't have the money for, and have no reason to be looking at and the sun is starting to come up (This inevitably happens to me many times, and there's no way to stop it until you're just done!)

Hear the sound of my wallets tearing apart
confused_face.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #277 of 6,356
An audiophile wants this cable...

...asks for a price, and is told "That'll be $150"

Audiophile's reply?  "That's not too bad, I was expecting something like $300..."

Apr 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #278 of 6,356
When you start web searching looking for review sites that sound like pure bull till you find Head-fi, and slowly begin lurking amassing information and realizing that such things as portable amplifiers do exist, then months later when you finally give the step to join the community and make your very first proper rig, you instantly set your sights on your next "best sound", luckily you find someone willing to let go just the headphones you are looking for, but in a rash bad judgement you blow up a completely sound deal due to being extremely rude. And then you understand "why did I send that message, of course he's going to be mad, I'm dealing with an audiophile someone proud of what's spending on gear, stuff that he/she takes care like a son or a daughter, god what I have done". Then you secretly hope he doesn't sell it to you because you yourself wouldn't have do it.

That I think would be the moment you realize you maybe turned into an audiophile.

Another example, when you get to class late and start taking down your rig, powering down the amp the player and leaving the bag into your desk, when you realize all your students are looking at you with a puzzled face on what the hell you had in your hands and what was supposed to be an introductory class of Physics 101 ends up being a class compromised on advanced electromagnetism, mechanic of solids and sinusoidal waves. Plus you start bashing the kid that decided to bring beats to your class for a good 15 minutes, laughing at his rig for using low quality 128kbps mp3s that are badly compressed on above 98db.
Kid never came back to my class.

That also could be the moment you realize you are an audiophile.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #280 of 6,356
When you buy highly expensive blackgate capacitors and use pure silver wire throughout your portable amp that you decided to build because you wanted a cheap amp. Did I mention it was a CMoy?
--Haven't done it.

When you ignore physics class all year until the electromagnetisn, sound, and circuitry sections come up.
--Still doing it.

When some of the only specs you care about on your "high-end" computer are those of the sound card.

When you think of this Thursday as a Sennheiser day (4/14/11)

When you avoid getting a job because despite having more money if you get one, you'll have less time to spend it.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #281 of 6,356

Quote:
An audiophile wants this cable...

...asks for a price, and is told "That'll be $150"

Audiophile's reply?  "That's not too bad, I was expecting something like $300..."

I still would never buy that, the difference in sound of cables*to my ears* was litterly about one hundredth of one percent increase, A/Bing the RS-2 with pure ALO silver and the stock cable I only herd an ever so slightly smoother, and I'm talking a VERY VERY VERY slim change in the tone for another $300.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #282 of 6,356
Quote:
I still would never buy that, the difference in sound of cables*to my ears* was litterly about one hundredth of one percent increase, A/Bing the RS-2 with pure ALO silver and the stock cable I only herd an ever so slightly smoother, and I'm talking a VERY VERY VERY slim change in the tone for another $300.

All insects are arthropods, but not all arthropods are insects.

Buying a $300 cable makes you an audiophile, but being an audiophile doesn't mean you have to buy $300 cable.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #283 of 6,356

Quote:
Quote:

All insects are arthropods, but not all arthropods are insects.

Buying a $300 cable makes you an audiophile.

ever hear of monster cables? they charge $300 for a paper thin RCA cable made of cheep copper I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back