You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #3,826 of 6,356
Quote:

I considered that once, though I ended up getting an SRH440 instead, so I actually ended up worse off as far as portability goes. I'm actively studying up IEMs, since I've finally come to the conclusion that, at least in my experience, circumaural cans != portable. They do keep my ears warm in the winter, though. In fact...

...you know you're an audiophile when you don't use earmuffs or a woolen hat for the winter, just a set of full-sized sealed headphones.

well since i already have a HD558 the SRH440 would be rather redundant. i haven't bought the SR60 yet cause i just can find a real reason why i need it.... since i already use the HD558 on the go

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #3,827 of 6,356
Quote:

Tell me about it...
wink.gif

I bought a dt1350 some weeks ago (1-2 week), then while listening at my house with it , I begin to think "Hmmm I sure could use a fullsize headphone for comfort at home right?". and Now I am searching for one, and already posted on the headphone reccomendation and looking at reviews now , its like this small steps of being an audio addict

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #3,829 of 6,356
Quote:
well since i already have a HD558 the SRH440 would be rather redundant. i haven't bought the SR60 yet cause i just can find a real reason why i need it.... since i already use the HD558 on the go

I honestly wanted the SR60 at that point just because I thought they looked cool. I wanted to don my leather jacket and walk around campus rocking some Grados. In retrospect people probably would have thought I looked ridiculous.

I had previously tried an SR225 but returned it because I wasn't thrilled with the genre coverage. Oddly enough I didn't like them for rock, which is what they're supposed to be great for. In fact, I only really liked them with 80s synthpop and a cappella choral music (of all things).

You know you're an audiophile when you think Grados are cool-looking (and I still do!).

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #3,830 of 6,356
Quote:

I honestly wanted the SR60 at that point just because I thought they looked cool. I wanted to don my leather jacket and walk around campus rocking some Grados. In retrospect people probably would have thought I looked ridiculous.

I had previously tried an SR225 but returned it because I wasn't thrilled with the genre coverage. Oddly enough I didn't like them for rock, which is what they're supposed to be great for. In fact, I only really liked them with 80s synthpop and a cappella choral music (of all things).

You know you're an audiophile when you think Grados are cool-looking (and I still do!).

i think grado looks nice too. well since i listen to mostly 40% edm 40% dn'b and 20% orchestrial music and others i think grado would do ok, (makes me wonder why i bought the HD558 anyway) 
the problem is that grado leaks way more than the open backed HD558, in fact more sound goes out from the ear cup than into your ear when using grados

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #3,831 of 6,356
Quote:
the problem is that grado leaks way more than the open backed HD558, in fact more sound goes out from the ear cup than into your ear when using grados

True dat. My DT880 is pretty open but it's nothing on the SR225. Also, the Beyers seem to leak less when they're actually worn as opposed to just sitting there with music playing through them, whereas it didn't matter with the Grados. Worn or not they could be heard in the next room.

You know you're an audiophile when your headphones are open enough to double as speakers.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #3,832 of 6,356
Quote:

True dat. My DT880 is pretty open but it's nothing on the SR225. Also, the Beyers seem to leak less when they're actually worn as opposed to just sitting there with music playing through them, whereas it didn't matter with the Grados. Worn or not they could be heard in the next room.

You know you're an audiophile when your headphones are open enough to double as speakers.

well since your head covers the main sound exit, most of the sound gets absorbed by you, it is only about 40% as loud when i wear them on than when holding my pair out by the headband.

grado however:

outside and to other people's ear<---porus wiremesh<---empty space<----driver--->paper mesh--->foam pads--->your ear

imagine if grado claimed they have great isolation and protect you from outside noise
biggrin.gif
 (just turn the volume up,isolat yourself, and let the world know what you like to listen to)

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #3,834 of 6,356
Oct 21, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #3,835 of 6,356
Quote:
what's the difference between them?

I'm curious about this, too. I know they redesigned the whole Prestige Series to have a different look (with the sort of mushroom-shaped cups instead of the lower-profile ones on the original models) and a beefier cable. I'm not aware of any other changes, though.

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #3,836 of 6,356
Quote:
what's the difference between them?

Quote:

I'm curious about this, too. I know they redesigned the whole Prestige Series to have a different look (with the sort of mushroom-shaped cups instead of the lower-profile ones on the original models) and a beefier cable. I'm not aware of any other changes, though.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #3,837 of 6,356

Changed the drivers, there was a 'problem' with the driver's mass i think.

Oct 21, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #3,838 of 6,356
Oct 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #3,839 of 6,356
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back