1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

You know you're an audiophile when...

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ohhgourami, Mar 14, 2011.
First

Back
218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227
229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238
Next

Last
  1. CashNotCredit
    Quote:

Not a huge fan of the term.

"THIS SOUNDS CLEAR"...that means nothing.

"They have great instrument separation, a wide soundstage, but have a bit of a bright treble. The bass is tight and punchy and the mids are a bit recessed. All in all, this is a slightly V-shaped headphone."...OK, now we're talking.

GloryUprising likes this.
  2. Kagaku
    When $25 seems too much for dinner and $200 seems too little for headphones.

GloryUprising likes this.
  3. potatoos
    Quote:

Well, not everyone will know the terminology. Did you know how to say that properly before spending much time on audiophile forums? The basic idea of large soundstage, instrument separation, detail, and a lack of a vail, or muddy/intrusive bass is what the lamen mean by clear, and at least they are trying.

Which brings me to a new point.

You know you're an audiophile when people need a dictionary to talk to you about headphones (or a term glossary).

4. CashNotCredit
    Quote:

Right, and I'm not expecting people to know the terminology, but "clear" is such a vague word. I even see it a lot in product reviews from experienced head-fiers.

Does it mean detailed? That typically means a harsh treble.

Does it mean neutral? That means a relatively balanced frequency response.

Does it mean good instrument separation? Well, that's an entirely different beast.

I know that not everyone is an audiophile, and a lot of the reviews are still helpful, but when I'm doing research on a $200+ purchase and I'm searching for reviews from knowledgeable people, "clear" is something that doesn't help me, as an audiophile, very much.

5. Doc-holliday

Id have to say i am with them on this one bro. That kinda thing is snob-iophile. To me the greatest thing about this site is educating the noob and i know very few who learned "soundstage" in the public education system.

So sorry that word bothers you but it dosent make someone an audiophile to dislike such a term.

Not trying to flame u but just saying....

6. potatoos
    With everything there is a balance........aside from the amount that you spend on audio equipment. There is no limit on that.

7. machoboy
    Clear to me means high-resolution and good separation. Any frequency response can be clear if executed right (and on truly clear headphones, they will remain clear even after drastic EQ adjustments).

8. CashNotCredit
    I think I probably misrepresented what I was getting at by putting things so bluntly. Reading reviews on headphones, especially ones I intend to purchase, and seeing 5 paragraphs about how they look and feel and "they sound clear" about the sound...kinda makes me want to choke kittens. I understand that not everyone knows about the terminology...and Doc-holiday is right, none of us were born knowing how to read an FR chart. Still, reading nondescript articles/reviews about the sound quality headphones (things like, "THEY SOUND CLEAR!") leaves me wishing for more information. And if "They sound clear." doesn't paint an adequate description about how a set of headphones sound to you...you're probably an audiophile.

Anyway, you know you're an audiophile when you see a major label band recording with a set of semi-open headphones (AKG K240s) and facepalm periodically over it for the rest of the day.

9. ovid87
    you know you're an audiophile when you'll sit through terrible pop music just to appreciate the high production quality.

10. potatoos
    Why would you not want to use semi-open cans in a studio?

11. CashNotCredit
    Quote:
    The leakage would get back into the mic when you record. The K240s are awesome for mixing and mastering, but for tracking/recording...yeah...not so much.

12. wolfetan44
    You know your an audiophile when your doing homework and your mom says, " Look that person has your headphones." I instantly reply, " Mom those are much nicer than mine. They are the RS-2's and they have wood cups on them."

13. kenman345
    Sounds like you're hoping for an upgrade soon
    Quote:

14. wolfetan44
    Oh boy am I. Looking for a Hifiman HE500 or Sennheiser HD600 if I can't get a used HE500.

15. GloryUprising
    Quote:

Quote:

I don't think that CashNotCredit is saying the term 'clear' is non-audiophile.  More that most audiophiles recognize the term 'clear' as being vague and when speaking to another audiophile, more description is needed.

Back on topic, You know you are an audiophile when your computer is the most cost effective component in your audio chain.

First

Back
218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227
229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238
Next

Last